Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:34:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689508
  • Total Topics: 118282
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] "Across the Dead Earth" Rules Free with any miniatures purchase  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Adm Richie

• Librarian
Hi all! Now is the time to start playing Across the Dead Earth, with FREE PDF rules sent with every miniatures purchase this week.

All available now from http://dead-earth-games.myshopify.com/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:56:34 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
Re: Across the Dead Earth Rules Free with any miniatures purchase
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 02:49:29 PM »
Its a pity I already own these  ;)

Definitely a great set of rules and a good read. I also heartily suggest picking up the Sea to Poisoned Sea expansion.

I've only had a brief chat with the guys producing these but I like the aesthetic of low tech survivor gaming. Don't get me wrong, I love all things Post-Apoc - MadMax, Fallout, Escape From... Walking Dead etc etc. They've captured the spirit of the post apocalyptic Britain that I grew up with such as the BBCs Day of The Triffids or Survivors (At least I vaguely recall it being called that. I think there was a remake in the last decade?). That's not to say you can't do a lot with these rules, hence my suggestion of picking up the expansion also, but just that it seemed to be fill a niche that was missing in my wargames library  lol

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Across the Dead Earth Rules Free with any miniatures purchase
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:03:33 PM »
Definitely a great set of rules and a good read. I also heartily suggest picking up the Sea to Poisoned Sea expansion.

Agreed, probably the most accessible PostApoc warband game around at the moment. Does not have the immersive rpg lite depth or detail of Wreck Age but has the same skills based approach to gang construction.
Easy to pick up and very enjoyable games, the campaign system works really well.
We have played these a lot and I recommend them to anyone interested in modern warband gaming.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
I haven't heard much about ADE, and now you have me curious.

*Edit* Wow. Lots of good ADE posts here that I have missed!

So it's a 2d6 system, alternating activation, with each player holding a small hand of event cards. The game features limited vehicle rules.

This just leaves me wondering about "From Sea to Poisoned Sea." This expansion appears to offer larger scale encounters, does the game scale well?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:06:59 PM by Mr. Peabody »
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Adm Richie

• Librarian
Thank robh and Mr Brown for your kind words.

Mr. Peabody - it is very much designed to be a skirmish game, so the expansion really only takes it up a little but in terms of numbers.  By treating several models as squads it allows for the same speed and ease of play as the main game. Of course, I did write it, so...
...one point- the original game has NO vehicle rules. No limited.
Vehicle rules will be shared in a beta form on the Facebook page this week.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
Copy that. Thank you and very timely!

Just the other day we were talking about looking for a rule set that would allow us to put more of our P.A. minis on the table at one time. 

Also a reason to build some of the scrap wagons and such we have planned...

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
....... does the game scale well?

From our experience it is better adding more players (each with a small gang) than trying to play big gangs with less players. You can then play "teams" or free for all bloodbaths.
Small gangs mean you have to compromise on the skills and abilities so gangs remain distinct and individual. Having more characters means both gangs have enough figures to take every skill for someone or worse spam the gangs with medics which (imho) loses a lot of the challenge.

When playing multiplayer games we add double the number of blanks to cards in the event deck so that each turn does not become a succession of events.

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
No thanks for the kind words needed. If I like a game I am happy to give good feedback; much in the same way that if I don't I'll try to be constructive :)

There are a few things which may seem slightly odd at first time playing such as weapon ranges for one but I find these relatively easy to scale to suit your taste. As for vehicles? Well I think I actually spoke about that with the author a while back and I liked that they weren't integral at this stage. For a slightly more gritty 'realistic' game, it's unlikely anyone would still be refining fuel  lol  I find in games that vehicles tend to end up being models that just move faster so have taken that into account with my own ideas for bikes to add a bit more. Cars and such don't seem to fit, for me at least, in terms of small scale skirmish games other than as objectives to reach or to destroy. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm away with work just now so no FB. That means I'll need to wait until I'm back to check these beta ones.

Also - any news on whats happening below? I haven't seen anything on the FB group for a while  ;)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Hmmm I currently have Wreck Age and This Is Not A Test but I had been wondering about how to adapt those for larger player games...maybe I will have to look into these.  :)

Offline Adm Richie

• Librarian
No thanks for the kind words needed. If I like a game I am happy to give good feedback; much in the same way that if I don't I'll try to be constructive :)

There are a few things which may seem slightly odd at first time playing such as weapon ranges for one but I find these relatively easy to scale to suit your taste. As for vehicles? Well I think I actually spoke about that with the author a while back and I liked that they weren't integral at this stage. For a slightly more gritty 'realistic' game, it's unlikely anyone would still be refining fuel  lol  I find in games that vehicles tend to end up being models that just move faster so have taken that into account with my own ideas for bikes to add a bit more. Cars and such don't seem to fit, for me at least, in terms of small scale skirmish games other than as objectives to reach or to destroy. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm away with work just now so no FB. That means I'll need to wait until I'm back to check these beta ones.

Also - any news on whats happening below? I haven't seen anything on the FB group for a while  ;)

Weapon Ranges will be changed (slightly) in the future, I think. Though not to a massive degree as it is, after all, a Skirmish game, and extensive  playtesting with sniper heavy gangs was, frankly, dull.

Weapons are not a big part of the game and that's why they were always going to be in an expansion and not the core rules.   The rules that we're putting out for beta don't really include cars in the traditional sense.

As for whats's happening below, as you put it, nothing at the moment. That whole project is kind of on hold until we make some money from somewhere...we've got to deliver our fantasy bears and stags Kickstarter first and then there's a few little bits and bobs for ATDE as well. Hopefully somewhere a long the line we'll bring in sufficient sales to start prototyping minis for that project.