Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686591
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Newbie Frostgrave and Dark Alchemy questions  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Dreadknot69

• Assistant
Newbie Frostgrave and Dark Alchemy questions
« on: May 07, 2016, 03:03:38 AM »
Hi folks,

I'm brand new to the game and am starting with Dark Alchemy.  Once I'm comfortable with the rules, I'll introduce my sons to the co-op game.

So, I've played the first scenario a couple times and there's one thing I'm unclear on.

Is this the correct order if I lose initiative:
1. Monstrosity activates
2. Wizard phase
3. Soldier phase
4. Creature phase?

Or do the creatures go after the Monstrosity does? In the solo rules, it seems as if they don't go until the creature phase. But in the co-op rules, they spawn and activate immediately.

If I DO win initiative, is it:

1. Wizard phase
2. Monstrosity
3  Soldier phase
4. Creature phase

Now that I've written it out, i guess I'm just asking if the creatures go with the Monstrosity or in their own phase, when you are playing the solo game? And is it in fact different in the co-op game?

Also... Is it just me or does melee seem to be something you want to avoid at all cost? Unless I'm playing it wrong but my dice rolls are literally killing my guys in one attack. The huge difference between the roll and my armor is enough to wipe them out.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
Re: Newbie Frostgrave and Dark Alchemy questions
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 06:15:18 AM »
Also... Is it just me or does melee seem to be something you want to avoid at all cost? Unless I'm playing it wrong but my dice rolls are literally killing my guys in one attack. The huge difference between the roll and my armor is enough to wipe them out.

Once you've determined the winner their roll minus armour is the amount of damage done.
So if the winning Fight roll was 17, and the loser has 11 armour, they take 6 damage.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Dreadknot69

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 03:22:53 PM »
Once you've determined the winner their roll minus armour is the amount of damage done.
So if the winning Fight roll was 17, and the loser has 11 armour, they take 6 damage.

So I'm playing that right then. Rolls of 23 (19+4), going against my armor of 11, are wiping me out. Or pretty close to it anyway.

Offline DegenerateElite

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 04:55:37 AM »
In Dark Alchemy Scenario One Solo

If you lose initiative roll:

1 - Place a giant rat
2 - Move the Alchemical Monstrosity
3- Normal turn sequence, with rats moving in Creature Phase

If you win initiative roll:

1 - No Rat appears
2 - Wizard Phase
3 - Alchemical Monstrosity
4 - Rest of normal turn sequence

Co-Op

Rats always appear each turn in creature phase, and then activate....all rats activate, including new one.

The Alchemical Monstrosity activates in the Wizard phase before a player that rolls 1-8 for initiative.

So the initiative winner acts first, then the loser then the monstrosity, UNLESS the wizard loser rolls 1-8, in which case, the monstrosity will act before them.

I suppose if both roll 1-8 you would have monstrosity act first then the two wizards.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 05:03:12 AM by DegenerateElite »

Offline Dreadknot69

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 09:09:53 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  I think I was playing it right then.  To be honest, it would've been easier for Joe to include a little list of the phases, since it is supposed to be used for new players to get up to speed.  It wouldn't hurt to have it clarified since it is different solo vs. co-op.

Offline DegenerateElite

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 06:08:01 AM »
Well, as simple as the rules are, Frostgrave leaves quite a bit open to interpretation.

It isn't what I would call a starter game, unless you have other experienced gamers around.

Heck, just look at the rules question thread....

That said, a mistake won't really kill the game, but in might kill your warband.