Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:12:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Avatars of War - assembly issues?  (Read 1387 times)

Offline nvrsaynvr

• Schoolboy
Avatars of War - assembly issues?
« on: May 10, 2016, 07:49:41 PM »
This seems like the best place to raise this.

I have just received a couple Avatars of War miniatures.  Looking at them, I'm a bit nonplussed. They seem to be arbitrarily divided into pieces with straight  cuts, no cast pegs and holes, on very thin cross-sections.  Furthermore, even assuming I could glue a tight bond, some of the attachments look so top heavy they would bend their support - and other part looks too fragile to begin with.

Has anyone had any, successful or unsuccessful, experience with assembling them?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Avatars of War - assembly issues?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »
I have some of their metals, and I found them to be a bit hit-and-miss.

Models like the elf noble and dwarf berserker are fine; models like the dark elf female assassin are far too delicate, with swords that are paper-thin and cannot even be cleaned up without breaking them off.

I notice that they also use a pretty soft metal, which makes spindly bits rather tricky to deal with unless you either replace them or reinforce them somehow.

Flat-faced joints are common, but as I normally pin my models, I've not had any issues. In fact, it makes it easier to file them to get the best fit possible before gluing.

I feel that they make good occasional characters (where a fair amount of work is not too bad for a one-off), but I would be hesitant to make small units, warbands, etc from them.

I have no experience with their plastics, but from what I've observed, they share many of the same issues. On some troops this is a non-issue, but on the more delicate models it looks like too much wasted effort to me.