Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:58:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: More CD-based terrain (Tutorial Part 2, 21 Apr/09)  (Read 7248 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
More CD-based terrain (Tutorial Part 2, 21 Apr/09)
« on: January 07, 2009, 07:05:59 AM »
I've really come to like CDs as terrain bases - they're solid, impervious to warping no matter how you flood them with glue or paint, and they're a great size for those of us with limited working & storage space!

I did a pair of jungle ruin CDs in mid-2008, and my holiday project recently turned out to be three new CDs of scenery: (Flickr Photo Page)

The new ones are: one more mysterious overgrown ruin (Sculpey, flock, scenic foam), one low hill with path (scrap foamcore, flock, etc) and one dirt/gravel road (scrap foamcore, flock, etc): (Flickr Photo Page)

Here's a closeup of the road: (Flickr Photo Page)

Finally, a WIP shot of the new ruin:

(Flickr Photo Page). I'm going to do at least a couple more road CDs, and some taller small hills with scrap pink styrofoam.

I might put some proper trees on some of these CDs, but I have a love/hate relationship with larger model trees: they look great, but they're a bugger to store & transport, and fragile... I might try some wire-core trees in the style of Hazel's olive trees, and see how tough they are. Something taller than the current scrubby bushes would make it more jungle-like than they currently are.

I'll also do a proper series of WIP shots and a how-to for my style of CD terrain, if people are interested.

Edit because Flickr is being dumb about showing photos here, for some reason. Click on the "Flickr Photo Page" link near each photo for larger images and some other notes...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:53:20 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
Re: More CD-based terrain
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:08:10 AM »
Nice, CD terrain rocks :)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »
Nice work. What glue do you use to stick things to the CD?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 03:13:01 PM »
Nice work. What glue do you use to stick things to the CD?

Ordinary white glue/PVA works fine, although I use superglue to attach the Sculpey ruin bits and the foamcore.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 05:11:30 PM »
Cheers. 8)

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »
Great job...I have a bunch of old AOL CD's, vegetation, cork, etc. just waiting to get put together for the same sort of effect ...thanks for the inspiration to get this project completed sometime this year!!
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 04:53:59 AM »
that is great work!

You could probably sell these!
::::: Ancients::::::::
:::::: World War I :::::::
::::::: World War II ::::::::
:::::::: Science Fiction :::::::
:::::::::::    Fantasy   :::::::::::::::

Offline Saya

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 12:57:39 AM »
perfect idea!!!! I used soon, without doubt  ;)

Offline The Rock

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »
Good idea. I have a lot of old CD and I'll use them as base for jungle vegetation terrain

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 10:35:53 PM »
Good idea. I have a lot of old CD and I'll use them as base for jungle vegetation terrain

Got my LoTR stuff out of the attic a few weekends ago, all the moria/middle earth ruins I did were mounted on AOL freebie cds. Painted them up at least 5 ytears ago, look great. Will get picutres up at some stage.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 04:57:01 PM »
Yup, some of the nicest CD terrain stuff I've seen! Did you ever do the Step-By-Step?
A nice zepplin's-eye view of how you make your CD stuff would be of use to the curious.

Thomas
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline knitemare

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 05:50:23 PM »
I think I can figure out how to get terrain on the CDs, I make a lot of terrain with MDF.  This would be a nice way to use all those junk CDs.  I'm curious about one thing though, how do you cover up the hole?

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 06:41:05 PM »
I think I can figure out how to get terrain on the CDs, I make a lot of terrain with MDF.  This would be a nice way to use all those junk CDs.  I'm curious about one thing though, how do you cover up the hole?

Actually, it occurred to me a while back when thinking about how to put together my CD-terrain, that perhaps you shouldn't do that - if you dont, you could use CD covers without their lids to hold the terrain pieces, and buy cheap "CD-towers" to store your terrain. Dont really know if this is a good idea, but I'm sure I'll give this more thought when we move to our new-and-much-bigger apartment in under two weeks. If it works I'm sure I'll harass you all with my amazing lack of photographic skills  ;)

Marko
Currently painting: Black Hat Three Musketeers range.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 11:48:08 PM »

I used a scrap of paper & glue; wet the paper, saturate it with slightly dilute glue, and leave it to dry (probably overnight) and it's a surprisingly strong base to build scenery on.

Some pieces I used other things to cover the hole, mostly bits of Sculpey clay ruins & rocks.

Link to my Flickr page

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 01:48:04 AM »
Excellent. Hold my calls and chill a case of Slurm, I'm getting out the old Cd's.

Thanks Wirelizard!