Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:14:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Biel-Tan Eldar  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Pizzagrenadier

• Librarian
    • Pizzagrenadier's Miniature Wargaming Blog
Biel-Tan Eldar
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:00:23 PM »
Howdy again!

Slight diversion for me. A friend gave me a box of his old Eldar (a treasure trove of Oldhammer!), and like a jerk, I used only the newer stuff to make a small Eldar force. I'll probably paint up the old stuff to give him back as a gift, so no offers on the box please! Besides some pics of the WIP of this small Eldar force is a short bit on my thoughts on the whole Oldhammer thing. Just my opinion of course! Before anyone gets out the pitchforks, I actually do like the old stuff. It's just not for me :)

Anyway, I'll be back to more Badab soon enough. I have some Red Scorpions I have been eyeing up, and I need to finish off a few more Mantis Warriors to complete the first phase of my forces.

Hope you enjoy!

http://thisveryblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/biel-tan-eldar-slight-diversion-and.html

Pizzagrenadier's Miniature Wargaming Blog:http://thisveryblog.blogspot.com

Instagram: Pizzagrenadier

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Re: Biel-Tan Eldar
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 10:43:14 PM »
Pretty damn good those! I especially like the two wraith... things.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:09:17 AM »
Wonderful work and my favourite Eldar colour-scheme  (I only use my own because I don't particularly like being tied to something I need to study/emulate!).

My appreciation for Oldhammer is mixed.  I tend to like the people who like Oldhammer (a much lighter non-tournament based appreciation).  That being said I don't try to buy up old 1990's paint pots or paint my figures like a 1990's White Dwarf.  As an Eldar player I'm fortunate that the Aesthetic hasn't really changed at all.  The current resins are based firmly on the Goodwin metal sculpts from the 90's and since I despise finecast...metals for me all day.

I'd have gone with plastic guardians and dire avengers but the prices have gone to more than I wish to pay and I actually like the simplicity of single cast metal figures when it comes to painting.  All the Eldar plastics are pretty awesome and again the Falcon/Vyper etc. are from 1998 or so and haven't changed.  The plastic Wraithguard are fantastic and I've no need to own metal ones.  Character model-wise the older stuff is a lot nicer/simpler and far cheaper considering the $25 plastic sprue for a single character stuff.

I like current marines when they're not comically over-the-top.  Loved the Calth Horus stuff and loved doing those retro-beakies.  I don't buy up older stuff "because" its old.  It's either a sculpt I like or a simpler character that appeals to me. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 09:04:39 AM »
Great stuff, I've always loved the green & white combo on Eldar, these look damn nice!

Offline Pizzagrenadier

• Librarian
    • Pizzagrenadier's Miniature Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 07:58:20 PM »
Thsnks guys!

Elbows: that might be more how I feel than I originally thought. Mixed. I appreciate the origins of the hobby, especially as Rogue Trader was my introduction to gaming. Yet I look forward to newer designs because my own aesthetic has changed. Yet I like to keep the spirit of the original.

I don't mind the newer prices too much. It does limit the size of my armies to an extent, but buying less has allowed me to paint in manageable chunks and add later.

Besides. The prices for OOP stuff can get salty as well and will only go up.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 11:14:14 PM »
Yeah I'm working on tweeking 2nd edition rules to be far more playable and hopefully more modern feeling while keeping the codices and fluff/character that embodied 2nd edition.