Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:58:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Please help me identify a bunch of old Armorcast/Epicast style stuff!  (Read 4150 times)

Offline Angie

• Schoolboy
I recently picked up a large lot of 2nd hand miniatures. Included with the lot were the remains of the sellers Armorcast/Epicast resin collection. I don't know if it's all from those companies, but it's in the same style. I've manged to identify a few of the parts, but I'm unsure about most of it. If you could help me out with placing these items I'd be really thankful!  I'm not quite sure if these are worth anything or even selling well, or if I want to keep them and use them for some of my own projects. I mostly would like to know some background, where these are from and what these are :)

Image 1: Epicast Death Blades
The only thing I can find about these is an old forum thread where they're offered for sale.

Image 2: Miscellaneous Large Vehicles
Solved! Vehicles/mini's from Tobsen77

Image 3: Miscellaneous Small Vehicles
Solved! Vehicles/mini's from Tobsen77

Image 4: Gobsmasha Guns + Vindicator Upgrades.
Solved!

Image 5: Large weapons
These look like the weapons of the Armorcast Eldar Knight Titan

Image 6: Tzeentch
I found one or two auctions on Ebay that call this a Silver Tower of Tzeentch. They certainly look like a large-size of the old epic model, but I cannot find anything about it being released. Looking at the ebay auctions, it seems incomplete.

Image 7: Bright Stallion
This looks like the unreleased Armorcast Eldar Bright Stallion. The parts are in 2 different kinds of resin, white and orange. Unfortunately this one's missing it's weapon arms. Also came with a huge amount of small spirit gems.

Image 8: Icons
The chaos icons to the left are -really- thin and translucent. The small Admech icons are a bit rough around the edges too.

Image 9: Skulls
Assortment of various skulls. Looks like the unreleased Titan Chaos Spikes + Symbols.

Image 10: Spikes
Assortment of various spikes. Looks like the unreleased Titan Chaos Spikes + Symbols.

Image 11: Walls
Solved: Armorcast Cathedral

Image 12: Walls

Image 13: Walls
Possibly Armorcast Cathedral too

Image 14: Roofs

Image 15: Windows
These came with the transparent inlays to put behind them. They say 'Armorcast'.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:48:14 PM by Angie »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Firstly, I'm pretty sure most of these are Armorcast, but the company went through a major reorg a few years back and, along with dropping a lot of GW-licensed based-on-Space-Marine/Epic material when the license was ended, a lot of older stuff went away. They seem to be re-adding very slowly.

The piece in the upper left hand of Image 2 almost looks like part of a Tobsen77 Vezdekhod.

Also, my old Epicast tends to be a fairly dark yellow; some of your images look like Epicast or Armorcast and a bunch of home re-casts.

The big SpaceMarine/Epic stuff, I'm a bit vague on; I seem to recall some mid-sized Epicasts, but thought the really big stuff was Armorcast. *shrug*

Doug

PS Forgot to say, the frames and windows you properly identify as Armorcast were part of a Cathedral-like building. Pretty sure I've some of the walls, which could be bought separately. Not sure about the windows.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:09:06 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Angie

• Schoolboy
Is there any way to check if it's a home recast except for the colour of the resin? I've seen some very different colours (and textures/qualities) around google, although generally a yellow or white colour like the cathedral windows.

You've completely solved a bunch of casts around image 2 and 3 though :D I'd never ever heard of Tobsen, but they come from that company! Looks like I have the Wheeled Tank, the Tractor and the Vezdekhod and most pieces of the Cannon Team and One Man Army. Thank you so much!

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
When the "original" Armorcast lost the GW rights, they had to destroy any models they had. So they ran the Titan models through a bandsaw, and sold the pieces for a while, which is where your "large weapons" come from. I have a set kicking around somewhere to turn into terrain pieces.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Pretty sure that Image 11 is actually a set of roofs, and that the Image 14 are the small dormer-style rooflights that fit into the triangular-looking sections on the sides of the roof.

Painted examples here: link.

It looks like Images 12 and 15 are from the same building too.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune

These, I am pretty certain, are designed to be assembled into spiked rollers or rotary saw-style blades that fit onto the front of this APC.

I've not seen a built version of them yet, but if you look carefully, there should also be some support struts in the kit for holding the assembly onto the front of the vehicle (replacing the spiked metal fender in the linked photo).

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
    • Small Scale Operations Blog, my wargaming blog
I have to add a question on those Vinidicator upgrades:

I know that there existed rules for 2nd edition (datafaxes) of 40k for all these items that were meant to give people the opportunity to field stuff they knew from Epic 40,000. Anyone by any chance having those for the Vindicator?

BTW, if you are willing to part with those upgrade kits...  :-* I'd give them a good home.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
The Vindicator definitely had a 2nd edition datafax...that's when the model came out - very late 2nd.  (at least I thought so!)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Angie

• Schoolboy
Thanks!

I finally found something about the Tower of Tzeentch here. I seem to have most of the accessories except for the tower base.

The huge plates + triangular sections are from the armorcast cathedral indeed. That model is pretty big as I thought the plates were just walls :D

The Death Blades aren't the same as on the APC. It seems as if those (and the ones on the Dark Army tank) came with the model. I think these Death Blades are a separate upgrade kit. The two bags that still have a label attached mention "a six-piece pewter kit which can be added onto either of the dark army vehicles to shred troopers". There's a lot more than 6 pieces though unless they mean 6 different kind of pieces. I'll take a picture of them later today of what they look like out of the bag.

@dbsubashi: That's pretty rough! I guess I could use them to replace the missing weapons on the Bright Stallion if I end up keeping that one.
@Sgt. Scream: You mean the 2 vindicator guns or the gobsmasha ones too? I'll take a pic of those separately and pm them to you.

Unfortunately I don't have any rules or papers that came with the mini's, except for a sweet thank-you note that came with an order of Bob Olley vases and jars :P

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
I know that there existed rules for 2nd edition (datafaxes) of 40k for all these items that were meant to give people the opportunity to field stuff they knew from Epic 40,000. Anyone by any chance having those for the Vindicator?

I do seem to remember that there was an 2E datafax for a conversion that was featured in in the Citadel Journal...

Then there was a datafax featured in the Armorcast fan-zine "Inquisitor", that was to accompany the resin Armorcast kit for the Rhino. (Page 20 of Inquisitor mag #17).

Finally, there was a very early 3E model that GW put out themselves and which came as a large pile of metal add-on parts for the original plastic Rhino.

Because it was based on the original Rhino, and because it was a very early 3E release, a lot of folks remember it as a 2E release!

I finally found something about the Tower of Tzeentch here. I seem to have most of the accessories except for the tower base.

I think you are missing the tower sections themselves as well? I note that your link has used PVC drainage pipe, but I would imagine that the original intention would have been to provide the complete kit in resin. Maybe as well as being unreleased, the kit was never fully completed?

The Death Blades aren't the same as on the APC. It seems as if those (and the ones on the Dark Army tank) came with the model. I think these Death Blades are a separate upgrade kit. The two bags that still have a label attached mention "a six-piece pewter kit which can be added onto either of the dark army vehicles to shred troopers". There's a lot more than 6 pieces though unless they mean 6 different kind of pieces. I'll take a picture of them later today of what they look like out of the bag.

Sorry, I think I may have confused you!

I believe that these are choppy attachments that replace the spiked bar on the vehicle. Each choppy attachment would consist of a circular base, a number of blades that are arranged radially on it (like a circular saw), a lid (which sandwiches the blades onto the base), and an arm for mounting it onto the hull. It looks like there would be enough pieces in each kit to make a pair of these, and they would look a bit like this old Epic-scale model.

Offline Angie

• Schoolboy
@Major_Gilbear
It looks like you need to put the tower sections in yourself with cardboard/pipe. It says it's not an official cast either, although it's clearly based on the old Epic model.

And ah, right, sorry! They look really similar to the old epic model indeed, especially once I blue-tacked one together.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Is there any way to check if it's a home recast except for the colour of the resin? I've seen some very different colours (and textures/qualities) around google, although generally a yellow or white colour like the cathedral windows.

AND, you can't even depend on colors; different periods of a company, even different runs, can vary. Usually, you can tell more by the quality, either rough areas, such as where a mould of a part was poorly done, or incompletely moulded.

As Armorcast distributed cut-up bits,, as dbsubashi mentioned, that can be confusing. Thanks for remembering that; I've friends who fondly remember assembling the most outlandish stuff.

Quote from: Angie
You've completely solved a bunch of casts around image 2 and 3 though :D I'd never ever heard of Tobsen, but they come from that company! Looks like I have the Wheeled Tank, the Tractor and the Vezdekhod and most pieces of the Cannon Team and One Man Army. Thank you so much!

No, wait. Something I said useful? AGAIN?

None of my friends will EVER  believe that!  lol

I thought more of that might be his work, but the Vezdekhod REALLY stands out. If you hung out on the VSF board, you'd be hard pressed to have missed him.  ;)

Doug
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:40:13 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
I do seem to remember that there was an 2E datafax for a conversion that was featured in in the Citadel Journal...

Then there was a datafax featured in the Armorcast fan-zine "Inquisitor", that was to accompany the resin Armorcast kit for the Rhino. (Page 20 of Inquisitor mag #17).

Found one copy in an online shop. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:00:21 PM by Sgt. Scream »

Offline Sgt. Scream

• Scientist
Sorry, that I dig this up again. Angie sold me the Vindicator upgrades.

I would need one more, is there anyone of you Oldhammer players out there, who is willing to part with one? *please*