Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:36:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Imagi-nations and consistency  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
Imagi-nations and consistency
« on: May 15, 2016, 08:23:24 PM »
I've generally looked at my imagi-nations in a vaguely SYW era and with a nod to the AWI. I was wondering if anyone has taken a different approach and had one country with say AWI period Brits, Jena-Auerstadt Prussians and perhaps another with Waterloo style French. Providing the rules are consistent, to a set period, it's just a matter of the fashion of uniform that the Grand Duke is taken with. I'd stress I mean that an army uses the figures from one period - not chopping and changing from tricorne to bicorne to shako within one army.

I know I've trawled the flags from SYW through to 1815 to find ones that I - quite simply - fancy for my imagi armies but has anyone gone similarly off piste with uniforms?

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
Re: Imagi-nations and consistency
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 11:32:40 PM »
My club imaginations campaign allows anyone in a tricorn to take part - so we have the Duke of Campari - an rather fusty and elderly gentleman with some unusual tastes who has not spent a penny on changing his armies uniforms since the early 1700's. Wargames Factory WSS figures make up his army as they do the regiments of Sir Arthur Guinesses Irish mercenaries. My own army is based on Perry Hessians but in white uniform,  befitting the army of the Archbishop of Hoegaarden. Now there is quite a difference between the tight style uniform of the AWI and the loose almost simple uniforms of Marlborough's day, but perhaps not as much as between those of the following century. However the Austrians sometimes make an appearance in the campaign and when they do its in their late, post SYW to revolutionary period Casquet headgear.

That's as wide a range as I'm prepare to include, but it's your stuff, go wherever your whim takes you.

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 07:04:05 AM »
"Anyone in a tricorne" - that's a good rule. I think the trick is to avoid things like 1815 Old Guard - the Austrians in helmets though would fit right in I'd have thought. I think I recognise those principalities. Greetings from Munchenberg-Essling!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 12:18:07 AM »
I think as long as you're consistently imaginative, you are doing well. It's what it's about, isn't it?  ;)
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984