Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:11:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Games Special Operations Team  (Read 5649 times)

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
Warlord Games Special Operations Team
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:16:43 AM »
Warlord have released their Special Operations Team under the Project Z banner.

http://store.warlordgames.com/collections/project-z/products/project-z-special-operations-team

I was quite lookin forward to these to use for my Modern British Army, amongst other things, but after seeing the price I'm a bit dissapointed. £15 for 8 minis? That's £1.87 per mini, I may as well get the Empress Minis for that for much greater accuracy and quality. When I got the Zombie survivors from Wargames Factory previously it was £20 for 20 minis, same with the Frostgrave Soldiers. You get even more for £20 with the Perry Plastics and from Gripping Beast. Its worse value for money than Warlords other plastic box sets for Bolt Action etc. The kit looks great in itself, and would be useful for a number of games that I play, and being plastic they are easier to convert (for my skill level anyway)but at that price I don't feel its worth it. If Warlord sell just the sprues so I don't have to pay for all the additional Project Z game stuff they are selling with it I would be a happy man, but so far I'm not impressed with what they have done with the Wargames Factory Minis so far.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Warlord Games Special Operations Team
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
Useful for bits like all the ex WF stuff but the figures strike me as a bit meh and fifteen quid for 8 plastic minis is fucking absurd.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:44:23 AM »
If you'd been following the 'Figure Prices' thread on the Discussion Board, then you'd realise that 'Modern/Near-Future/Sci-Fi' figures for non-historic skirmish games have to be more expensive... it's like a law or something.
 ;)

Don't forget to factor in the £5 postage too... don't worry if you do though as Warlord won't.  ::)

Thinking positive though, as they don't look like anything in particular, you can use them for nothing much.  :)

Joking apart, if you're lucky enough to be sitting on some old WF figures, then the heads and stuff in this pack do give you a bit more variety and there seems to be more weapons and heads than you'd need.

However the point remains that it is £1.87 (£2.50 each with postage on a single pack) per figure.  :-I  

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:59:06 AM »
So, they are the same price as Empress nice metal miniatures!  Doesn't that defeat the object of plastic?
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 10:10:37 AM »
Doesn't that defeat the object of plastic?

Depends what you consider the object to be. I imagine opinions vary depending on which side of the checkout you're on.  ;)

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »
So, factoring in postage they are more expensive than Empress. That's not to say that Empress are too expensive, they are about the current going rate for metal minis, but that Warlord are charging more for much less quality. The Wargames Factory sculpts have never been great, but they were great value. WL seem to be missing the point here. I was hoping to bring my Brits up to full Platoon strength without the repetition of minis that would be required if I went fully with Empress. I also had plans for a well equipped mercenary force. It seems I will be going elsewhere.

Offline Dangerdaz

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »
Overpriced & the sculpts look...err...crap.
But thats just my opinion.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 02:37:11 PM »
So, they are the same price as Empress nice metal miniatures!  Doesn't that defeat the object of plastic?

Full defeated. Roundhouse kick to the head finish him defeated.

Oh Warlord, how much like GW do you wish to be?
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 03:28:25 PM »
In part defence of the price...it also includes cards for use in the Project Z game so isn't ONLY a couple of sprues of figures. Now, if you're not interested in the game then that IS incidental, if you DO play the game then it may be a worthwhile expansion.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 03:33:02 PM »
In part defence of the price...it also includes cards for use in the Project Z game so isn't ONLY a couple of sprues of figures. Now, if you're not interested in the game then that IS incidental, if you DO play the game then it may be a worthwhile expansion.

Comes with more than the cards, also has a rule booklet:

Spec.Ops Game play rules booklet
20 Spec Ops specific Project Z play cards

http://us-store.warlordgames.com/products/project-z-special-operations-team

So $3 a figure plus you get 20 cards and rules for the figures.   And that is full retail, I've seen them for $15.40 a box online.   That is less than $2 per figure plus the printed stuff.
Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 07:27:09 PM »
My comment in my original post was that I hope they will sell the sprues without all the guff. They would be useful models if you didn't have to pay the premium for game components you don't need.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 09:09:04 PM »
The supply of cards and whatnot as added value doesn't mean much... if you bought two boxes, you just get two sets of whatever when you only need one, so even if you played the game you lose out. A fair few companies actually sell such things separately... or actually provide them free(-ish) with the figures, not instead of.

It would be like buying a box of historical plastics from them and finding you only had half the figures there used to be, but you got a codex army book to replace them. One platoon later you've spent £52 to get what used to cost half that and you've two identical books.

As for likening them to GW; the people that created Warlord are all mostly GW OGs; so not so much 'like GW' as GW Mk. II.

Offline Jerekin

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 09:19:14 PM »
Let's stay correct. A third is left.

No idea what OG means. Not original gangsta I guess...  lol

Seriously, help me out pls.

Sad story. I hate this collectible bullsh*t and I hope they are available when they make those sprue sales

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 09:30:38 PM »
I had an exchange of e-mail with warlord back in march about them. They agreed that for people that are not playing Project Z they are a bit overpriced. They told me that it is the added (and for me useless) stuff in the  box that increases the price. The good news is that they told me there is a real chance that they will be sold off as individual sprues in the future, especially if there is a sufficient "request". Now I bought one box at Salute and they are not bad. They have a lot of useful bits, plus they have the added bonus to be customizable. They can portray a lot of hybrid forces (some former Warpac now NATO) or even special forces. With minimum effort they can be used as different forces. I am undecided between using them as PLA SOF with M4 (yes they have...) or JGSDF... (one of the rifle can be used an an Howa 89... GATE I am coming...)

Complaining does not solve anything. As much I do not like it they have been released to fit in the 
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 11:10:38 PM »
No idea what OG means. Not original gangsta I guess...  lol

Yep, 'original gangster' was intended due to the racketeering involved... but 'old guys' would work too.  :D