Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:29:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Games Special Operations Team  (Read 5657 times)

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
Re: Warlord Games Special Operations Team
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 05:53:58 AM »
I had an exchange of e-mail with warlord back in march about them. They agreed that for people that are not playing Project Z they are a bit overpriced. They told me that it is the added (and for me useless) stuff in the  box that increases the price. The good news is that they told me there is a real chance that they will be sold off as individual sprues in the future, especially if there is a sufficient "request". Now I bought one box at Salute and they are not bad. They have a lot of useful bits, plus they have the added bonus to be customizable. They can portray a lot of hybrid forces (some former Warpac now NATO) or even special forces. With minimum effort they can be used as different forces. I am undecided between using them as PLA SOF with M4 (yes they have...) or JGSDF... (one of the rifle can be used an an Howa 89... GATE I am coming...)

Complaining does not solve anything. As much I do not like it they have been released to fit in the 

You're right, complaining doesn't solve anything. I'll email Warlord, see if I can get them to sell the sprues individually. Would they work as Japanese soldiers then? I was thinking of using Empress heads and using them as Brits. I have a few spare heads still.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 06:02:00 AM »
Yep, 'original gangster' was intended due to the racketeering involved... but 'old guys' would work too.  :D

And I read it as 'old guard'  lol
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline james

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 07:41:57 AM »
I am a big Fan of Warlords Black Powder, but these sculps are very poor,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 08:03:11 AM »
(Sigh)... I really don't understand the way Warlord do things, they produce and sell some really good stuff, but I can't help thinking that alot of their products could be brilliant, or at least really good, but it seems that with alot of their stuff, they've just thought,'that will do', now show me the money!

They make strange pricing decisions too.

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 10:11:02 AM »
I didn't intend this thread to turn into a Warlord bashing session, I quite like the company and what they do. I have two Bolt Action armies that both came in at under £70 and I think BA is a great game. I just don't like the fact they are only selling what could be a useful bit of kit in a manner that has no value for most people. I need multiple soldiers, I don't need even one set of cards let alone multiple sets.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 01:01:54 PM »
No worries, I've never needed an excuse myself, so don't beat yourself up about it.  ;)

In general terms I've always been quite happy with the service provided and what I've bought. Now and then however they do seem to make, what seems to me to be, a complete bollocks of things (as we say in Spain). This is one of them.

If I ruled the World, I would have probably marketed them as a game add-on with a couple of sprues of 'free' figures. Then we wouldn't be having this conversation (somebody who plays 'Z' would more than likely). That being said I would be really surprised if somewhat down the line, that they don't offer them for sale as single sprues.

I certainly can't really argue with the release as being intended for 'their project' and thus incorporating bumf for 'their game' in with the price. I can moan a bit about it though.

:) 

Offline Seb76

• Assistant
  • Vive Zangali !
    • Zangali
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 05:24:50 PM »
I'm going to sound like such a warlord fanboy but what the heck..

I have 4 bolt action armies all by warlord and totaling up around 13.000 points in total. I haven't got a clue how much it cost me but it was cheap compared to other game systems with these number of models. (the fourth army was given to me by Warlord but that doesn't make me biased haha)
I can see that Warlord isn't flawless. sure they have some strange discicions but overal they are a great company.

They have great support for their products and shipments. anything wrong ? just give them a call and it get's sorted!
they try new stuff and release an amazing amount of new models every month.
pricing is very reasonable
they sell single sprues
They have black Friday sales
etc etc etc.

So what about this Special forces set. I think their price is spot on. Yeah you get some extra stuff like cards and all that but that's no use to us.... but hey this set wasn't made for us.. it was made for people who want to play this zombie game.
When I see this single sprue kit I see a lot of possibities. 8 men that can be kitted out in a wide range of weapons and war gear. there are 17 guns with arms attached but also 15 "loose"weapens that you can use for a lot of things. you get 14 different heads.

I love the metal models but plastic models are so much easier to convert.

Warlord games will most probably be selling this sprue seperately at a slightly reduced price just like with any other plastic kit they sell.
If you can wait till blak Friday you might be able to get a few on the cheap but no garantees are given on that.

/Commercial over.Warlord, you can send my free Special forces set to the usual adress.. ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:33:48 PM by Seb76 »
Visit my Blog:

Offline Jerekin

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 05:28:39 PM »
Actually they were made for people like us. Sorry I couldn't resist.  :D

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 06:56:54 PM »
It is actually okay to like things... I know it's not fashionable, but it is okay.  ;)

'Value' is also a personal thing... if you like them, want them and don't mind paying the price then that is fine... it's not as if there are not numerous far more expensive plastic figures out there.

They're not for me and thinking reflectively, that should have been where my argument should have started and finished.  :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 09:18:14 PM »
The pity is that they didn't come out before Wargames Factory went tits up. WF prices were typically 2/3 the price of Warlord. I would have bought some for the spares box.

Hopefully these will be a little bit more multi pose  than the older WF products. The main problem with WF figures is that only certain arms go with certain torsos, which rather undermines their utility.

There is a point about complaining. It's one of the ways marketing and commerce function. 'Shit, people aren't buying our product and are moaning on various forums, maybe we should......' Then again I don't know how responsive Voldemort Games are to feedback.

By the same token if people like 'em and are prepared to pay the price, more power to them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:19:54 PM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 01:27:35 AM »
They look cool.  But I am going to stick with my empress and Spectre figs for now.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Mr Evil

• Librarian
    • Evil Bear Wargames
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2016, 06:03:41 PM »
price wise keep in mind that empress does not have to price to take distributers into account, while to shift so many units warlord do, distributers take around 70% cut then sell to retail giving retail around 35% cut.

Offline Seb76

• Assistant
  • Vive Zangali !
    • Zangali
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 08:18:17 AM »
I just received my box the other day and I'm stunned with the quality of the kit. Clean, crisp and great detail, hardly any moldlines and so many possibilities to use this kit.

What I really like is that I can use all the spare plastic guns and stuff to replace the ones on my Spectre Miniatures. Spectre make great models but it almost seems as they weren't meant to play with. The guns are so thin they bent by just looking at them. That problem will now be solved.

win-win!

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »
price wise keep in mind that empress does not have to price to take distributers into account, while to shift so many units warlord do, distributers take around 70% cut then sell to retail giving retail around 35% cut.

We do not wish to get involved in this or other company bashing posts however we do feel that we have to respond to this inaccurate post which mentions Empress.  

The information stated above is incorrect. Empress does have distributors around the world and within the UK. Infact Warlord is one of them. Of course we have to take into account such issues when considering retail prices. We also have to take into account other issues such as tax etc.

Secondly I would be stunned if Warlord or any other business gives 70% discount. This discount would be akin to giving product away when the maths are done. Retail - minus 70% Discount - minus tax -  minus small annoying costs too numerous to mention = equals probable bankruptcy.

Cheers,
Paul

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:28:21 PM by Empress Miniatures »