Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:30:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Peninsular War Project - First artillery battery done (12th June)  (Read 8168 times)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Peninsular War Project - First unit, 1st Btn KGL
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 12:11:17 PM »
That was quick! They look amazing now!
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »
Sweet! 8)

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 03:34:13 PM »
Not 100% sure with the KGL but did the light company have the light infantry shako plate or the standard line infantry plate the same as the rest of the battalion. This was the case with the British with only Light battalions and rifles having the hunting horn shako plate, if i remember correctly.

Great painting by the way, a good start. :)

I personally have the 3rd Division for 1809 painted with the 4th to come after finishing Pack's Independent Portuguese brigade.

Tony.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »
I have Osprey plates showing a horn on the shako of British light flank coys of line battalions. Battalion packs by Front Rank also provide light flank coy figs with horns rather than plates. Perhaps it varied by regiment.

Thanks for the input.

James

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 09:21:48 PM »
They look fantastic. They should provide you with many hours of gaming pleasure. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 09:31:23 PM »
I have Osprey plates showing a horn on the shako of British light flank coys of line battalions. Battalion packs by Front Rank also provide light flank coy figs with horns rather than plates. Perhaps it varied by regiment.

Ok James maybe I was mistaken then, was that on both the stovepipe, pre 1812, and belgic, post 1812, shakos?

Tony

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 10:23:03 PM »
Hi Tony,

I've started a thread on this at the other place, here's a link to what's been said

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=420766

I'm quite new to Napoleonics, for myself at least; I've painted a fair few for clients, mostly French, but I've usually just painted up what clients have sent to me with their pictures / guides without questioning it very much. I'm slowly getting a handle on it, but very slowly.

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 05:58:08 AM »
Please think about copyright when you post pictures, even if they are as helpful as yours Harry :?
Cheers
Jan

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 06:24:19 AM »
Great one !!!!
, ,

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Re: Peninsular War Project - Second unit, 2nd Btn KGL
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »
Well, unit two is now done, another battalion for von Lowe. 2nd Battalion KGL

more pics here: http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/2nd-kgl.html

I've also decided what British I'm going to take from the pile to paint for the first game. The force will be:

von Lőwes Brigade (1st, 2nd and 5th KGL battalions); Howards Brigade (50th Line battalion, 92nd Highland battalion, 71st Light Infantry battalion); von Arentschild's brigade (16th Light Dragoons, 1st Hussars KGL); a 'tiny' unit of riflemen; a battery (three guns) of foot artillery.

That should be enough of a force to do a small, initial game using Black Powder or Lasalle rules.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 05:11:56 PM »
Lovely work, they look brilliant!!

Offline gustav

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 06:55:05 AM »
James
great work - lovely looking unit.
but  ;)
one minor point as I want to check my knowledge. 

Your battalion rankers all have grey trousers/pantaloons, my understanding is that certainly pre 1812 in hot climates or summer, white pantaloons were authorised and could have been worn instead of the grey.  Plus they could also be wearing whatever local cloth (the usual being brown) if replaced / repaired.   I guess it is all a bit moot and up for personal preference and can mean units with a different look.  So was their any reason for you to choose grey ?
Will your preference be for campaign look or parade ?  I always get caught in between the two :)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 09:16:02 AM »
I'm doing KGL in grey trousers so they will immediately stand out from the 'British' regiments. It's purely a matter of poetic license backed by a bit of fact: Grey trousers and gaiters formally replaced white breeches for other ranks in July 1810. I guess the key word here is 'formally', and this must be the date that the decision for grey was sanctioned in Whitehall.

How quickly troops in Spain got grey trousers (how quickly the contracts for white ones ended and the white ones ran out) is, of course, a matter for debate, but as you say it wasn't until Sept 1812 that infantry on active service were officially ordered to substitute what remained of their white ones for grey ones and absolutely no more white ones were issued.

My next brigade, Howard's Brigade, will be in white trousers with assorted locally obtained trousers in various colours.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2016, 12:25:04 PM »
That's the best answer in the white/grey/brown trouser debate I've ever heard. I did 'em that way... 'so they will immediately stand out'!
Well said old chap.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline gustav

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 12:46:50 PM »

Nice idea to differentiate like that.  Glad my understanding not out of whack. 
As you mention, dates surrounding uniform changes it is so difficult to know how quickly they were implemented.

On one hand you read how difficult supply was on the other that it was all very well organised. 
I guess the best solution is indeed just to go with what you feel is right.

Just that my inbuilt OCD always wants me to be accurate :)