Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:09:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Matchbox/Hotwheels Road Warriors  (Read 5441 times)

Offline theironsoldier

• Assistant
Matchbox/Hotwheels Road Warriors
« on: May 18, 2016, 11:26:55 AM »
First time posting over here, and wanted to share a current project and share some tips I've stumbled into.

These are Matchbox/Hot Wheels conversions. Scale ranges across 1/76 to who knows what.

When I started this project I did a lot of hunting around for ready-made conversion kits. I didn't find any that I particularly liked; they were either the wrong look or too expensive. Here's what I am using instead:

1. Warhammer 40k bits. These are the wrong scale, but can still be useful. Backpacks and torsos actually make pretty cool engines and stowage. Chaos and Orks are the most helpful.

2. 1/76 military vehicles. These are too small for most things, but chopping up the individual pieces can produce a TON of available parts. For £5-6 you can get a lot of parts, complete with rivets, panels, detailing, etc. I have used a couple Airfix models and haven't run out of bits yet.

3. 1/76(1/72) scale stowage kits. These are also pretty cheap and give a lot of options. Value Gear has some great stowage sets (not attached yet, in pictures).

4. Wire screen from old strainers. Found at charity shops £3 gives you more wire mesh than you will need for a fleet of cars.

5. Paint stripping: Detol takes EVERYTHING off, which is great. I regret being so through, however, because now I don't have texture under the primer. I will be more selective on the next batch.

6. Painting: My plan is to paint these as is, and then add detailing afterwards. I still need to find a good source of weapons.

So here's some WIP pics:

Offline stubert

• Lurker
Re: Matchbox/Hotwheels Road Warriors
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »
A friend just pointed me towards this thread from twitter because I'm doing a similar project of my own at the moment. What rules are you going to use with these? I'm currently playtesting the forthcoming Osprey game Gaslands, which uses similar cars to yours.

They look fantastic, really well done. I haven't stripped my cars, I think I'm going to spray straight over the original paint where I can. I kind of like the bare metal look though so you have me thinking about painting all the accessories but leaving the bare metal body panels underneath...

Offline crikeymiles

• Bookworm
    • Gaslands.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »
These look great!  Where's the massive engine on the pickup truck from?

Loving the mesh usage, that's my favourite too. :)
Gaslands - Post-Apocalyptic Vehicular Mayhem, to be published by Osprey.

Offline theironsoldier

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 01:25:15 PM »
Thanks guys!

1. I don't have a rule-set yet. My initial plan was to make a scaled up copy of Thunder Road. (MB's very (VERY!) simply Mad Max game.) I would love some suggestions. I am looking for something that is not too complex (cf. Car Wars, Dark Future). Any Frostgrave-level rulesets out there?

2. I hadn't thought of leaving the metal bare, that is an interesting thought!

3. The pickup engine is stock. I don't know the model name, but I will post it later. Great model!

Offline comet5

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 02:14:13 PM »
Have a look at the Devil's Run Route 666 rules, they are free on their website Word Forge Games.  I signed up for the kickstarter last year.  The rules seem to be an upgrade of Thunder Run. 

Well worth a look.
Alea Iacta Est

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 02:57:16 PM »
I enjoyed Axles and Alloys.  Pics are broken for me by the way.
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 04:22:24 PM »
Pics look great! I loved Car Wars back in the day!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 01:45:58 AM »
Me too!  Great game.  It could easily be upsized!

Offline theironsoldier

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 12:50:04 PM »
The pick up is the Hot Wheels 1941 Ford Pickup. Fantastic model!

Offline crikeymiles

• Bookworm
    • Gaslands.com
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 04:23:04 PM »
1. I don't have a rule-set yet. My initial plan was to make a scaled up copy of Thunder Road. (MB's very (VERY!) simply Mad Max game.) I would love some suggestions. I am looking for something that is not too complex (cf. Car Wars, Dark Future). Any Frostgrave-level rulesets out there?

Utterly biased response alert! 

We are opening up some more playtesting slots in late June for GASLANDS (which will be published by Osprey in 2017).  It is intended to scratch the itch you have.  Find out more here: http://Gaslands.com

Offline theironsoldier

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 07:41:14 PM »
Great! I just responded on your website. Too be clear: Car Wars or Dark Future are NOT the complexity I am looking for.... not that they are bad games or anything, just too fiddly.

Offline crikeymiles

• Bookworm
    • Gaslands.com
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 02:52:33 PM »
Amen.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 09:24:50 PM »
Utterly biased response alert! 

We are opening up some more playtesting slots in late June for GASLANDS (which will be published by Osprey in 2017).  It is intended to scratch the itch you have.  Find out more here: http://Gaslands.com

Nice stuff. I look forward to seeing that in print.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 05:03:08 PM »
The cars look great!

I don't think you'll regret taking all the paint off when you repaint.  Most hot wheels and matchbox cars loose quite a bit of detail under their thick enamel paint.  When you strip that all away you'll get much better detail showing through after the repaint.

You might find this page inspirational for your vehicle building.
http://www.ironhands.com/rwmodels.htm#police