Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:10:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686620
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Upcoming Tanks - The World War Two Tank Skirmish Game Reviewed  (Read 10356 times)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: Upcoming Tanks - The World War Two Tank Skirmish Game Reviewed
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »
Well I'd definately want something with a bit more punch to back up your Shermans - logically this means... more Shermans! (well Fireflies, after all, more dice are good) though you could use Comets to the same end. Cromwells are interesting, their speed could allow you to really use a manuevering game - but one or more heavier hitters would help, as the Cromwells speed may actually handicap their less than stellar shooting - you'll be giving your opponent more defense die after all.
 I think BF would like Tanks to lead people to FOW (& I wish them luck, but the thought of buying into another big army collecting game just never appealed to me much - have enough on my plate already) - but 6mm has always been a serious temptation- as you've said, for the scale of the combats you can portray (& I really love GHQ's Micro Armour Wehrmacht 47 stuff).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:58:31 PM by Ballardian »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2016, 01:39:35 AM »
I picked up a copy of the starter kit the other day from work, and whilst i plan on using it to play with my sci fi plug tanks , This is the only game that has ever made me look at ww2 tanks and say "huh, i could pick up one of those."
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2016, 03:44:22 PM »
In the FoW online instructions for the panther (the instructions I found, anyway) there are little pieces that go on the gun mantlet, to the left of the gun, and just below it on the hull. They're not in the Tanks book instructions. Looks like some kind of tiny scope, or something. There are three of these pieces on the sprue, and in the colour-coded sprue pics they're all shaded red for 'optional'.

What do the pieces represent; are they necessary for a 'complete' panther; and does it matter which of the three pieces you use?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:53:48 PM by Vermis »

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2016, 04:19:04 PM »
Vermis, the pieces you describe are IR gear that you found on some very late model Panthers (around the time of 'Watch On The Rhine'). I'm assuming that they're pewter add ons contained in the BF Panther Platoon box - not included in the Tanks clampacks or on the plastic Panther sprues themselves - much like that they don't include the decals or commander figures that the BF box contains. They're not essential pieces & don't currently have any special rules within 'Tanks'.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 04:29:25 PM by Ballardian »

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2016, 04:27:14 PM »
Sorry, ignore what I've just said, the IR gear IS on the plastic sprue (on the Jagdpanther side). Somehow managed not to notice them. That said, as I mentioned in the previous post, they're optional pieces, few tanks were issued with them & there aren't any extant rules in 'Tanks' - apologies for the mix-up!
 If you want to use them, there are three different pieces (all annoyingly tiny to the point where they're hard to tell apart) - one for the turret cupola - if you've got the sprue oriented with the Jadgpanther hull on the left & the right way up, it's the one on the far right. The one in the middle goes on the hull butting up against the drivers periscope & the one on the left attaches to the mantlet over the hole for gunners scope (on the left side of the mantlet).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 06:46:11 PM by Ballardian »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2016, 07:15:52 PM »
Thanks Ballardian. :) I wasn't too worried about in-game rules, more about making the panther look 'right'.

Brings me to my next question (last one for now!) - can the two shermans in the box be assembled as sherman Vs or fireflies? Looking up the online instructions, the FoW brit shermans are built with a different kit, with different turrets, glacis plates etc. But then, none of the types featured in the american sherman instructions seem to use the gun with the 17pdr-looking muzzle brake, included on that kit's (and TANK's starter set) sprues.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2016, 10:52:29 PM »
Your welcome Vermis. The Shermans from the game box can't be assembled as Sherman V's or Fireflies - those supplied are US variants & the sprues contain different pieces (the barrel with the muzzle brake you mention is in fact a later version of the US 76mm). I don't really see any problem with fielding them as British though -  despite them being both models of Sherman mostly issued to US rather than UK & Commomwealth forces, (hence why BF do different boxes) 76mm armed Shermans did see action with UK forces in Italy (though I don't know about Normandy) & the 75mm armed models do look pretty similar to British issued Shermans - you could add little pieces of plasticard to represent the applique armour common to British Shermans but it certainly isn't essential. (There are in fact a bewildering array of differently numbered Shermans & the differences wern't always visible - different engines, wet or dry ammo stowage etc. all resulted in different 'names'. If you've a mind to, the Shaddock Sherman site  - http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/index.html - takes you through them all in exhaustive detail & is more interesting than I've made it sound.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:58:56 PM by Ballardian »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2016, 11:43:05 AM »
Thanks again, Ballardian. :) I should've asked before I bought more brit tanks! Maybe the order hasn't been processed yet and I can change it. If not, anyone want a 15mm cromwell, MIB?  lol

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2016, 06:22:52 PM »
Personally, I wanted a British tank troop, but when I bought the game (at this years Salute) they only had US & German vehicles on offer. I'm tempted to wait until they release the cards seperately & then pick up either the BF Sherman V or Cromwell boxes, that way getting a whole troop slightly cheaper (that it includes the decals &  commander figures is welcome). That said, the T34 horde is also quite appealing.
 I think a troop (3-5) is probably about the most you could comfortably fit on a 3'x3' board, (& also keep the pace of the game up) they recommend 100 point games which gives you about that, depending on the character/crew/gear cards you choose.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »
I got my copy of Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy last Friday, got to read through it yesterday evening, and the review/desciption of the game had me really excited, as I've been looking for a good tabletop gateway game for my nephew, and this looks like it's it. He's already into X-wing (also my fault :D ), and the format should therefore be right up his alley.

At that price level, it doesn't hurt too much either (especially as I got it from the UK with free shipping ;) ).

So; I just ordered a copy, plus a Stug expansion. It'll probably arrive when I'm off on vacation, but at least I'll have a reason to be excited when returning home from the sun... lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2016, 05:20:24 PM »
I hope you & your nephew enjoy it, it's a solid little game.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2016, 07:36:57 PM »
played through the starter box and a few 100 point games the other day , Was very enjoyable, easy to learn and felt like a game i could really invest in.