Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:08:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British Armored Suit aka Bors MK1 (Melusine Repaint)  (Read 8369 times)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
British Armored Suit aka Bors MK1 (Melusine Repaint)
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:45:01 PM »
Hello.

At the beginning of the year, and after getting some inspiration from Agis' web site, I ordered some Melusines from Maschinenkrieger for my British, in case I want to use them for a WWWII game. The first one I got was also my first project for the year. I've repainted it in Military Green, added a Star in free-hand (very proud of it, as it was a pain in the...  :D) and weathered it a bit. I don't usually like rust on WWII tanks, but for a WWWII unit I think it is more than fitting. Sadly I don't know my new camera that well yet (Canon Ixus 80 IS with a macro of 3.5 cm... bring it on!) and haven't figured out the best lighting conditions, so some of the weathering is lost. At the same time, the spray on varnish is shining a bit too much still, so I might have to change that in the future.

I am still trying to find a good name for their unit. Till now all I've got is M.AR.V or Mechanised Armoured Vanguard. The idea behind it would be, that these guys are let loose on the battlefield before the infantry can come in and clean up.

Comments are most welcome.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 08:20:52 PM by Remington »

Offline Elladan

• Bookworm
    • elladan.de
Re: British Armored Suit (Melusine Paint up)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »
Hi Dimitri,

the model looks fine to me, especially the star and the markings.

I hope to win the auction for some Maschinenkrieger models on ebay this weekend.

Let us phone the next days. Perhaps I can give you some hints on how to take pictures of models and miniatures, at least the way I do.

Ciao

Elmar
http://www.elladan.de/
I love beautiful terrain.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »
Thanks Elmar. Do let me know when you got time and I'll ring you up. I've also started reading some guides online and I need to sort things out with white balance. But... I am confident. :)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 09:17:25 PM »
Looks good, but not sure MARV sounds quite right, sounds a bit like an armoured recovery vehicle.

How about SAPPER ?
Strategic Armoured Personnel, Pioneer, Engineer, Reconnaissance ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 09:25:50 PM »
Oh, I like that. Yeah, sounds good. Much better than M.AR.V. Thank you.

I have given the Melusine another coat of rustin's matt varnish and will make some new pictures tomorrow. The shine is gone. Furthermore I reckon I've realised how to use the White Balance on my camera, so let's see what happens tomorrow. :)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Re: British Armored Suit (Melusine Repaint)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:51:54 PM »
I'd think that the British would name them rather than use the modern acronym style. 

The "Excalibur" Suit and for such a dramatic device I think the CO would name them individually after the Knights of the Round Table.

King Arthur for the CO
Merlin for the MO
The rest named after the knights
Lists are here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Round_Table

Support vehicles named after other characters and names from the legend.

Command Post - Camelot

And so on

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »
nice

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »
Thank you for your Camelot idea. I like it a lot. Will think along those lines as well.

The new pics will be delayed a bit. Still trying to figure out the best way of taking pictures.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 09:32:17 PM »
Nice Melusine! And the star looks great!
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 09:55:19 PM »
Thank you, Agis. That really means a lot coming from the source of inspiration.  :)

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 10:41:11 PM »
Hello Remington,

The new pics will be delayed a bit. Still trying to figure out the best way of taking pictures.
Here's a link to the Perry Miniatures site, with a description how they do their pictures.
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html
Select "Picture creation" as range.
This may exceed your demands for creating pics for the forum but possibly provides some hints you can use.

BTW, very nice work!

Daniel
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:43:04 PM by Hauptgefreiter »
per aspera ad astra

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 12:13:39 AM »
I'd think that the British would name them rather than use the modern acronym style. 

Slightly off-topic, but I've just thought - who actually chose the historic names for British AFVs, and how did they choose them ?

There seem to be a lot of Cs in there - Crusader, Churchill, Cromwell, Covenanter, Comet, (Centurion too tagging along at the end of the war) the only others I can think of (offhand) would be Matilda, Valentine, Firefly and Tetrarch, and the pre-war Vickers that just get numbers. So how did Matilda and Valentine make the list of names ?

But on topic, the Camelot range of names sounds a good idea, and Camelot starts with a C....

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 12:34:12 AM »

Slightly off-topic, but I've just thought - who actually chose the historic names for British AFVs, and how did they choose them ?

There seem to be a lot of Cs in there - Crusader, Churchill, Cromwell, Covenanter, Comet, (Centurion too tagging along at the end of the war) the only others I can think of (offhand) would be Matilda, Valentine, Firefly and Tetrarch, and the pre-war Vickers that just get numbers. So how did Matilda and Valentine make the list of names ?

But on topic, the Camelot range of names sounds a good idea, and Camelot starts with a C....

Or you could of course bring forward modern names - Centurion and Challenger for MBTs, and Saladin/Saracen/Scorpion/Scimitar/etc for lighter armoured vehicles. Alternatively go for a completely different letter - Broadsword/Battleaxe would be good names for a fighting suit class then, following WW2 tradition, each commander makes his own choice of what to name his vehicle (often after his girlfriend/wife/favourite lady of the night).
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 05:09:52 AM »
Hello Remington,

Here's a link to the Perry Miniatures site, with a description how they do their pictures.
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html
Select "Picture creation" as range.
This may exceed your demands for creating pics for the forum but possibly provides some hints you can use.

Also worth looking and IMO way simpler is the very neat description from my friend Tom:
http://www.twfigurines.de/main/workshop/photos.htm

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 08:44:44 AM »
The Valentine was named or about 14 Feb - St Valentine's Day.

Most British tanks were named with a "C" - no idea why.  SP artillery was named after clergy - Sexton, Priest, Bishop, Abbot.