Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:33:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689549
  • Total Topics: 118285
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: mrtn's late Romans  (Read 12584 times)

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
Re: mrtn's late Romans
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
Thanks guys!

This is the Secunda Flavia Constantia Thebaeorum, sister legion to the first armoured guys I made, also raised in Egypt. These have a red circle around the shield boss, and I gave them red decorative patches as well.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 02:34:41 PM »
The colour combination makes it a very striking unit.

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 09:09:50 AM »
Thanks Phil!
Here's a WIP of a Roman farm, so these guys have something to defend.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 09:13:14 AM »
Looking good, I look forward to seeing it progress.

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 11:22:56 AM »
Thanks Phil.

These are the latest of the late Romans. Went for a red uniform on these guys for a change.

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 07:23:39 PM »
awesome! keep em coming!

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2016, 08:01:40 PM »
Very nice work on the units, and I'm particularly looking forward to more progress on the farm.

Offline Suetonius Paullinus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 09:46:52 PM »
They look awesome mate! Well done with the colour schemes, really spot on  8)

Cheers

SP

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »
Very nice work on the units, and I'm particularly looking forward to more progress on the farm.
Thanks! The farm is finished, but I got dragged in to writing an article about it, so I'll brag about it let you know when it's in print.  :)
awesome! keep em coming!
They look awesome mate! Well done with the colour schemes, really spot on  8)

Cheers

SP
Thanks guys!

This is the last unit in this phase of the army. They have the shields of the Germaniciani seniores, which is listed as a pseudocomitatenses unit in the Notitia Dignitatum, but I'll probably often run them as a limitanei levy unit. Most of them are based on the Dark Age Warriors plastic box.

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 03:38:56 PM »
I accidentally bought a small late Roman army the other week, and found that I wanted some draco standards for command models. They weren't included, so I had to build some. Thankfully I still have my old Warhammer bits, so here are three dracos built from a saurus, a skink and a skaven. Enjoy. ;)

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »
Fantastic work! They really look good! Been working on a few myself and painting the shields as well but I really like the dirt and grime on yours. I've been debating whether to put some 'Deposited Dust' from Lifecolor on the shields but I am hesitant as the shields took so long to do and I'm afraid of messing them up :?

BTW, do you have a technique for painting wounds? I've got some casualty markers pieced with arrows and javelins that I'd like to put some blood around the wounds. What I don't want is red paint splotched on - I got some LOTR Rohan off of eBay with red paint splotched on the swords and it just looks awful to me.

On one guy, laying down with his hand over his face and an arrow in his eye, I experimented with Army Painter red ink over the flesh of the hand. I think it works but really isn't noticeable. That idea came from the Medicus model over at Warlord.

In any case, I have some light blue tunics with white strips that need some blood stains but I am not sure how to go about it without overdoing it.

I thought that you paint so well, you may have a technique or two.

Your army really is nice!
You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 06:19:36 PM »
What rule set are you planning on using for this project?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 11:25:18 PM »
Fantastic work! They really look good! Been working on a few myself and painting the shields as well but I really like the dirt and grime on yours. I've been debating whether to put some 'Deposited Dust' from Lifecolor on the shields but I am hesitant as the shields took so long to do and I'm afraid of messing them up :?

BTW, do you have a technique for painting wounds? I've got some casualty markers pieced with arrows and javelins that I'd like to put some blood around the wounds. What I don't want is red paint splotched on - I got some LOTR Rohan off of eBay with red paint splotched on the swords and it just looks awful to me.

On one guy, laying down with his hand over his face and an arrow in his eye, I experimented with Army Painter red ink over the flesh of the hand. I think it works but really isn't noticeable. That idea came from the Medicus model over at Warlord.

In any case, I have some light blue tunics with white strips that need some blood stains but I am not sure how to go about it without overdoing it.

I thought that you paint so well, you may have a technique or two.

Your army really is nice!
Thanks for the nice words!
The dirt on my shields is just brown paint flicked on with my finger and a nylon brush. Easy. I haven't bothered with powders and solvents, I know where I am with ordinary acrylic paint.
Search for "tamiya clear red blood tutorial" and you should get plenty of hits for blood. I haven't used it myself but it looks spectacular. Don't overdo it though, assuming you're painting historical models and not Khorne berserkers.
What rule set are you planning on using for this project?
Mainly Hail Caesar, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get roped in for another rule set or three.

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 07:01:38 AM »
Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 03:24:48 PM »
Here's a few pics from my latest game. The Romans managed to save the villa from the rampaging Goths.