Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:16:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scout Squad Juron (Lost Patrol) - Yellow! 26/05  (Read 3093 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Scout Squad Juron (Lost Patrol) - Yellow! 26/05
« on: May 22, 2016, 03:09:12 PM »
About a decade ago, I managed to buy me a near mint copy of Lost Patrol for just €10,-. It was a game I had wanted to own for quite some time, and then finally, I found a guy selling it, not 10 minutes away from where I lived!

It's a great little game, but a tad unbalanced and therefore pretty hard on the scouts. But a little houseruling solved that too.

However, the only letdown were the plastic scout miniatures in the box; they were the first plastic scouts, released when Rogue Trader was still the current edition of 40K, and these scouts could be found in just about every game GW published.

Mine were red plastic, monoposed (except for the top-heavy sergeant of course) and just fugly to my eye at the time.

Now, I had a perfectly fine painted scout squad, made with the then new metal scouts, but for some reason, this just didn't feel right.

But by this time , I had already amassed a huge lot of RT era scouts, both plastics and metals, for service in my late RT/early 2nd ed Imperial Fists army.

And with my favourite 40K novel being the original one; Space Marine by Ian Watson, it was clear what I had to do; paint up a squad of old metal scouts, and base them on the protagonists from the book, as for much of the story, the characters are together in a scout squad.

So, I cleaned up and based the appropriate minis, taking care to make sure they (sort of) had the feel of the characters in the book.

The idea was to have all 5 minis in the squad individually based, but then have a larger display base for them, in the shape of 2 or 3 large hexes, just like the tiles of Lost Patrol, all covered in huge amounts of (deadly?) vegetation. This, because I also intended to enter them in next year's Golden Daemons (just like the other scout squad, which made it to the finals).

As a heavy weapon was also required, and there is no metal miniature of a scout with a heavy bolter and the plastic one was naff, I went with a scout carrying a bolter instead. It was different enough from the boltpistol and knife of the others, and it was an original mini.

However, after a short while, when I had already started painting them, the bolter scout just didn't quite do it, and I converted an already damaged metal scout to carry the (plastic) heavy bolter. And since his face had been mauled before I acquired him, I also sculpted a rebreather mask on him. This further differentiated him from his original form (great, since the original mini also features in the squad. Can you spot him?).

I undercoated him, and with the rest of the squad having just their faces painted, and some added colour to some trousers and slashes in sleeves, the entire project basically stalled there.

This was 10 years ago...

So, a couple of months ago, I read that GW will be re-releasing Lost Patrol, and this news got me all excited. I suddenly remembered my forgotten scouts and I dug them up out of a dark, forgotten corner of my display cabinet.

And there they were, facing me from across my painting desk, whilst I happily painted and converted away on my X-Wing ships.

But yesterday, they finally got their well deserved comeback. I painted the face on the heavy bolter scout, trying my best to make it fit in with the rest of the faces. Luckily, my (caucasian) skintone recipy has not changed for over a decade, so I think I nailed it.

However, since back then, I've (rightfully so) changed my undercoating for yellow coats from black to white. My current Imperial Fists are a simple wash or two of the old Citadel Yellow Wash over a white undercoat, which gives the same result as 6 layers over black of Vomit Brown, Golden Yellow etc... ::)

But since these guys were undercoated black, I painted a single layer of VMC Sky Grey over the black (it covers really well), as a step up to the desired white basecoat, before the yellow washes.

And that's where I'm at right now.

So, let me introduce to you, from left to right, Some unnamed bolter scout, Sergeant Zed Juron, Lexandro D'Arquebus, Yeremi Valence, Biff Tundrish and Omar Akbar:

I really hope I can keep the momentum up on these guys, so they will be ready in about a month or so, right in time for the release of Lost Patrol v2... ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:58:42 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
Re: Scout Squad Juron (Lost Patrol) - (re)beginning, 22/05
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 03:24:27 PM »
Looking good, so far. 'Space Marine' was one of my favourite books too, so I'm looking forward to seeing more...
Any plans to tackle that spider tattoo?

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 03:43:30 PM »
Thanks! :)

And yeah; it's been bugging me too. I did an Imperial Aquilla on the side of one of the heads back in the day, and I told myself yesterday that it could function as a sort of stand-in for the spider tat, but that's already gnawing on me... ::)

Thing is; with the face mask on, most of the spider would be lost behind the mask, and just some legs would poke out, which would probably not look good.

I guess the only other option is to switch Lexandro and Biff around (that upper hiver wanted to lug around that big thing himself anyway lol ), so I can paint the spider on Biff's face. But under the blue warpaint of course...

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »
Thanks to your post I went digging and I found that I once had those plastic scouts you mentioned! Never knew they were from the Lost Patrol game. Nice project, can't wait to see more.

PS - are you receiving my PMs?  ;)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 07:59:56 AM »
Nice to see these Scouts ready for some action! Looking forward to the mandatory AAR ;)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 10:02:29 AM »
They'll die... lol

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 02:41:26 PM »
Looking sweet.
Love the old-timey face paint.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 03:59:10 PM »
Looking forward to following this, mate.
An interesting little project if ever I saw one.
 8) 8)

What I am not so happy about is your mention of Space Marine.
Now I am tempted to dig out my copy and read it again, when I should be continuing with the GOT books....
 >:D >:D

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 08:57:42 AM »
Small update.

Even though real life is keeping me really busy the last couple of days, I did manage to start on the yellow of half of the group two days ago. I just hadn't been able to post it yet.

I painted a coat of straight white over the light grey, and over that went a single coat of the (very) old Citadel yellow wash (blue capped hex pot).

However; I'm not happy with the current result. For some reason, the coat did not come out as smooth as it did when I did my last IF Space Marines. I think I must have thinned it a lot back then, because i remember doing 2 or 3 coats and the results were not nearly as dark and blotchy as this.

If I can't get this to work, I think I might just go over it again with a straight coat of yellow paint instead, and shade and highlight the traditional way...

Now I am tempted to dig out my copy and read it again, when I should be continuing with the GOT books....

What? You don't keep yours ready for reading at any time? And you haven't read all of GOT yet? :o

Let me help you; they all die. Then; dragons.  ;D

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
Re: Scout Squad Juron (Lost Patrol) - Yellow! 26/05
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 10:24:42 AM »
Yeah, that's bright.
Have you considered the wash might have become a bit more concentrated over the years?
Don't remember those old bottles being that airthight.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 10:48:46 AM »
What? You don't keep yours ready for reading at any time? And you haven't read all of GOT yet? :o

Let me help you; they all die. Then; dragons.  ;D

lol lol

Oh well, I wont bother now, then..... ;D ;D

That yellow is pretty intense!
I think the old inks become more dense over time.
I still have a few pots of the REALLY old Citadel stuff (dropper bottles from the old Master paint set) and they are really intense.
You should have seen my face when I washed some blue on some figures last year!
 :o :o

They certainly need a lot of watering down.
But you know that now, dont ya?
 lol lol

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Scout Squad Juron (Lost Patrol) - Yellow! 26/05
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 11:05:53 AM »
Yeah, that's bright.
Have you considered the wash might have become a bit more concentrated over the years?
Don't remember those old bottles being that airthight.

The brightness is intentional; these guys are older than school after all. ;)

And those pots are extremely airtight. I still have several of my original hexagonal flip-top pots with perfectly good paint in them, which I occasionally still use too and they're from the early nineties!  The yellow wash I used is in the same type of pot, just with a blue lid instead of white; it's perfectly fluid, I just think I did not dilute it enough.

So my bad really... ::)

They certainly need a lot of watering down.
But you know that now, dont ya?

Now he tells me... lol