Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:15:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Thread of Middle-Earth by Hammers  (Read 26268 times)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Thread of Middle-Earth by Hammers
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2021, 09:39:28 AM »
The eagles look great - very effective an a nice variety of poses. :-*

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2021, 09:52:48 AM »
”Driving miss Daisy”, good’n…  lol

The matt is indeed a mossmat from Wish and the purpose is for window display and such. It is sn item which has been talked about quite bit in the online wargames terrain making community the last couple of years.

It is dirt cheap, covers roughly 1 by 1,5 meters and comes in a few variants, ground color bring the variable while tufts are constants. I believe mine is #2.

I find it particularly useful for glamour shots like this although you have to fiddle with the color balance a bit because of all the green reflecting.

It sheds like a bastard but there are several videos out there on how to pimp it and make it more stable.

Thanks, Peder.
 :)

Enquiries shall be made as it works very well.
 ;)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2021, 10:20:40 AM »
Nice air force, there - there were a couple of nice ones in the GW Warhammer Wood Elf range too, I believe, back in the nineties, not to mention the war hawks which were the size of Grenadier Eagles, from what I can see.
Really cool stuff  8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: The Thread of Middle-Earth by Hammers The Urulóki
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2021, 09:36:35 PM »
Gaining some experience in how to paint dragons. (I have quite a big one which has beens sitting glaring at me with fiery eyes from a shelf, I have been hesitating to put a brush to it for quite a while) This is a Uruloki, a wingless fire dragon of the First Age, from Mithril Miniatures.

I do not think giant lizards are Chris Tubbs's forte but this one has a certain charm.

It has a fairly simple colour scheme of tan and deep green, a wash a dark green ink and a quick dry brush of metallic bronze green. After that all scales and spines were picked out individually in several thin hilights.

I should have painted a Turin Turambar figure for the staged shot but couldn't be bothered.

I think I read somewhere that the huge spines shooting out from it's back are supposed to be proto wings, not quite fully developed in this breeding at the hatchery in Angband.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 07:15:22 AM by Hammers »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2021, 10:12:16 PM »
He looks good,and a proper dragon head to boot! I know what you mean about the painting,I have a Ral Parthia resin dragon languishing in the toy room which is going on 30 years(the dragon),not the room lol
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2021, 12:50:05 AM »
These are all great interpretations (and conversions and painting) of Middle Earth’s denizens. I was particularly interested in your half orc. Tolkien always left tantalisingly vague mentions of the mixed races (like the half trolls). I had always interpreted orc men to be Urukhai, while half orcs and goblin men were the less successful breedings amongst the Dunlendings (the ones Peter Jackson gave snaggle toothed tusks to).
I eagerly bought GWs Half Trolls, although I suspect in the book they are just Tolkiens racist description of the men of Far Africa Harad.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2021, 10:42:21 AM »
Great looking dragon
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2021, 05:52:35 PM »
I love the old school style dragon - and the eagles too. I have a Griffin to paint and cannot decide how to do the feathers and wings, but your relatively simple colour scheme is very effective.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2021, 06:13:27 PM »
Those trolls on page 1 are AMAZING!!  :-* :o Excellent idea and wonderful brushwork!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2021, 06:43:35 PM »
I love the old school style dragon - and the eagles too. I have a Griffin to paint and cannot decide how to do the feathers and wings, but your relatively simple colour scheme is very effective.

Tolkien’s own illustration of a great eagle is based on a European golden eagle. So I checked my book of birds and took it from there. Black-brown plumage with golden brown hilites, especially the head and wing base which is much brighter than the rest. Talons and beak have som bright yellow markings.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2021, 09:06:46 PM »
Lovely brushwork Peder on the Eagles and Dragon.

Just like the movies with the Eagles in LOTR series - quite striking!

The colour scheme on the Dragon is quite effective against the contrast of the terrain.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Thread of Middle-Earth by Hammers, Halfling March Wardens
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2022, 07:53:48 PM »
Some Copplestone-Oathmark halflings I whipped up just because sometime one gets a craving to paint something Copplestone, doesn't one?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 10:33:44 AM by Hammers »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Thread of Middle-Earth by Hammers, dorfs
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2022, 08:56:35 PM »
...and some dwarves, for the same reason. I really love these (Copplestone sculpts for Oathmark) here in the role as Firebeards of the Blue Mountains.

Lord Fræg

Jari, captain

Sif, Champion

Andvari,Swordsmith
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 10:34:38 AM by Hammers »

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2022, 05:21:59 AM »
I can totally relate to having an urge to paint something sculpted by Copplestone. I haven’t indulged recently, unfortunately.

I like your halflings and dwarves, the painting and basing suits them really well.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2022, 05:22:35 PM »
I have a batch of elves, Grenadier, Copplestone-made, which have been sitting unfinished in my pile-of-shame since the mid-90s. I've been looking at them now and then and altough I really don't have any real wargaming plans for them I've always thought I should finish them. I've always been quite happy with the shield designs. Also I did these halfling recently, and these elves are sort of a tie-in.

They are very much a tough up job from my 90's painting standard; some flaking paint restored here, a shadow or highlight added there...  I spared the shield design, obvioulsy.

The banner design is inspired by Professor Tolkien's own. For those of you into the lore there are obvious ties to the leves of the Gondolin House of Tuor there. I have a bag of tiny coloured rhinestones (purchased to create Frostgrave treasures) which i expereimneted attaching to the banner. It did not look good so I added that swirly art noveau design instead.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 07:33:23 AM by Hammers »