Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:20:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690855
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Problem with a Matte Varnish stripping paint?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
Problem with a Matte Varnish stripping paint?
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »
Malifaux gators.  Spray primed with Tamiya plastic paint.  Painted with regular acrylic paints (cheap, admittedly, but I have always used the cheap Walmart/Michael's paints that go on sale for around $1 -- not a good enough painter to spend more than that...)

Normally, I would either spray matte finish (but it was too humid this weekend) or brush on matte varnish.  Unfortunately, my trusty old bottle of matte varnish (can't remember the name while I'm at work, but it has served me many years) ran dry.  I bought a new bottle of Testor's Model Master.  Tested on one model, seemed to go on fine.  Went ahead and used it on the rest.  Then it started stripping the paint off the models.  Luckily, it was just one or two little spots that I was able to repair, but never had anything like that happen before.

Was this a fluke, and I should try again, or is this going to continue to strip paint off my models?  Defeats the purpose if it is a stripper, right?

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Re: Problem with a Matte Varnish stripping paint?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 03:24:41 PM »
I believe Testor's varnish is somewhat damaging to paint work. A coat of gloss varnish prior to applying the Testor's is the best and safest way to go from what I've heard.

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 06:57:46 PM »
That's the effect of Lacquer on other paints. That's why I always make sure that any spray coat I use is acrylic or enamel based as opposed to lacquer.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »
Never had a problem with Testor's Dullcoat on top of Vallejo - Vallejo airbrush primer, Vallejo Model Master paints or Airbrush paints, and then Dullcoat.

Literally thousands painted, never a problem.

That's weird.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 07:51:11 PM »
Testors brush-on will strip acrylic paint from the figure.

Happened once to me, years back. Never used it again.

Gloss varnish first will protect the paintwork.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:13:38 PM »
Testors brush-on will strip acrylic paint from the figure.

Happened once to me, years back. Never used it again.

When they first banned the aerosols I bought a bottle in desperation, deadly stuff. The new stuff minus the toluene is not as good either.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 09:26:17 PM »
Have used dull coat for years, but only the spray variety.  The brush on non-Testor's was for those high humidity day after a few 'fogging' incidents.

Just going to toss this Model Master brush on lacquer, then.  Not worth the risk of tearing up something that can't be easily fixed.  GW matte brush on still works fine on cheap-o paints, right?

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:00:44 PM »
GW matte brush on still works fine on cheap-o paints, right?

Sorry, no idea.

Personally I only use brush-on varnish.

Daler-Rowney  LINK
Hannants own LINK

Both over gloss varnish.

Others here swear by water-based  W&N

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 12:50:49 PM »
I personally avoid using acrylic varnishes (matte or gloss) as I don't find they dry hard enough, nor do they seem to be as resistant as other varnishes to oils from fingers.

I also avoid using any varnishes that are not water-based (at least for the first few coats on a model), because the solvents they contain tend to often lift the paint.

My solution is therefore to use a non-yellowing, UV-resistant clear Polyurethane varnish that is water-based, and after a couple of coats, I use a matte for the final finish (normally Testor's spray).

If I have to touch up any little crevices in the model that the Testor's spray missed, then I thin down a little bit of plain matte medium and with some clean water and brush it over the relevant areas. The matte medium gives you a good flat finish but is only applied in areas that won't get touched or rubbed, so it's poor durability is not important.

This gives me the best protection I can apply to the model, and still gives me a super-flat finish. It also avoids any fogging, or any lifting of paint. I have occasionally (ahem, clumsily) knocked a couple of models off the table before, and they don't even chip.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 03:47:47 AM »
I have used water-based  W&N Galeria brush on matte varnish without damaging acrylic paint (GW, Reaper,Foundry and cel-Vinyl).
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 07:26:27 PM »
I use Testors Dullcote spray on buildings that have been painted with craft acrylics without a problem and a friend uses it on all of his figures without first using gloss varnish, he uses Howard Hues acrylic paint.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club