Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:45:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 712
Total: 717

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) 1939-41 Soviets Kickstarter by BrigadeGames and Company B  (Read 8025 times)

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
Hi Truscott

There were none at Nomonhan.

Red Army cavalry were a common unit type during the Revolution and on into the 1920’s especially in the wide open spaces of the East.  Most were converted to mechanized and motorized corps during the 1930s.  Due to severe losses in vehicles by the Red Army following the German invasion of USSR many more cavalry corps were raised. These corps initially included two cavalry divisions. During 1943, another cavalry division was added, and all divisions received a tank regiment.

Despite the name, for the most part the troops of the cavalry corps operated primarily as dismounted infantry, using their horses only to negotiate terrain that would prove difficult to motor vehicles, and conducting rapid raids.

Thanks Brigade games. Thought the Kickstarter  were for Poland and Eastern Front too my bad. Soviet Cavalry did fight in the East at later battle against the Japanese IIRC - the far east is not an area I know much about compared to the other fronts.
FWIW I have been researching Soviet troops from Russian language sources for 6 years now - and can detail the 3 battles were they did charge on horseback  lol. Most people think cavalry were a left over from prewar but the numbers were increased after 41 to over 200,000 cavalry and they were still performing great service in 1945 - admittedly in mixed Cav/Mech corps.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
This picture is of a 1938 design with fit sizes and even in this picture there are variations.

In the photo shows the helmet of two different samples - 1936 sample, and 1940 sample (testing began in 1938). Large external differences between the helmets of one sample was not, but the helmets were three different standard sizes (by size of the head), which have a slight difference in the silhouette.

All Russian helmets on the 1st and 2nd World Wars: http://helmets.ru/cat_rus.htm

Soviet cavalry during the 2nd World War was used primarily as a "riding infantry", for moved rapidly troops. In the context of the Russian off-road it was very helpful, the horse easy to pass there, where the car will sink in dirt.
Cavalry attack certainly occurred, but it was extremely rare under suitable conditions - such as the ambush on a short distance. However, I know typical episodes of cavalry battles between the Soviet and Romanian cavalry in 1941.

Offline koz10

• Scientist
Some new photos from a game run at Enfilade have been added to the Kickstarter page. The painted figures look really great. Bruce is a genius when it comes to designing scenarios.

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
nice looking figures, all the best with your kickstarter
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
I've seen a lot of Mike's work over the years,  I have quite a bit of it in fact and certainly enough to know that strict attention to detail isn't always his strongest point. Lovely chap and does some first rate work in 15mm, which IMO is the scale that suits him best.

Look I don't wish to carp and I really do wish you the very best with the campaign, you produce some excellent products that nobody else does. You are to be applauded for tackling a long overlooked topic. By the same token you may wish to consider feedback intended to be constructive.

Carlos is dead right on this account. BG has done some nice figs over the years - although pricey - but this Kickstarter range isn't one of them...they just lack excitement and the poses are dead boring. The topic is great...but the execution and research isn't quite there. Like Carlos, not trying to rain on your parade but for me these don't do it. Yet, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and I have seen a lot worse get accepted by others - your Kickstarter may be a success.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"

Do not understand the strange tendency to portray Russian officers with megaphones... This myth appeared, apparently, after the fantasy in movie "Enemy at the Gates"... I do not seen any historical photos or descriptions of their use in combat conditions.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:33:28 AM by cuprum »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.

Do not understand the strange tendency to portray Russian officers with megaphones... This myth appeared, apparently, after the fantasy in movie "Enemy at the Gates"... I do not seen any historical photos or descriptions of their use in combat conditions.

It's an allusion to the Soviet penetration of future members of the SIS whilst at Cambridge. It's one of Kim Philby's college chums, intoning 'Stroke! Stroke' to the crew of a racing eight in the Boat Race. Or it could be an even more obscure literary reference to Anthony Blanche declaiming poetry, through a megaphone from Magdalen Bridge.  ;)

Either way it looks daft although I'm more curious as to why it would be a good idea to wave the national flag around on the rolling plains of Nomonhan.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
Banner still could be used as a benchmark, to designate the captured positions or, for example, buildings. But by megaphone in the battle clearly a little sense ...

Offline BAMeyer

• Assistant
    • Company B
It's a Commissar with the megaphone, either exhorting the troops forward or threatening them if they stall.  Makes perfect sense if you want to be heard over the din of battle.

There are numerous references to both Japanese and Soviet flags and banners on the Battlefield at Nomonhan.

Offline koz10

• Scientist
The commissar figure was painted based on a picture from an Osprey or some other reference book. That's how I based the painting colors of this figure. It's not supposed to be an officer. The figures do look awesome on the gaming table. Even if you're not planning on supporting the project, you should check them out. The games played were a lot of fun.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
It's a Commissar with the megaphone, either exhorting the troops forward or threatening them if they stall.  Makes perfect sense if you want to be heard over the din of battle.

This is just pure fantasy ... Commissars abolished in the Red Army in 1942 because their function was simply unnecessary in conditions of the Second World War.
Commissars were are relevant in the Civil War. Their main function - is supervision of the commanders of in the army directly. Many red commanders of that period were former Tsarist officers or even turncoat from the enemy (eg nationalists). Much has also been a "red" warlords (irregular volunteer formations), joined the Red Army, together with his troops - in these military units often had big problems with discipline and execution of orders of the Soviet command. Commissars had been the political representatives of the Bolsheviks and monitored exact execution of the orders and the the moral state of of the military unit (insurgencies were not uncommon then).
Agitation and "threat" - a by-product of their activity.

A megaphone in the field is not necessary. Fleeing soldiers its can not be stopped. Otherwise, its would have used in all the armies of the world.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: (Commercial) 1939-41 Soviets Kickstarter by BrigadeGames and Company B
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 05:57:41 AM »
This is just pure fantasy ... Commissars abolished in the Red Army in 1942 because their function was simply unnecessary in conditions of the Second World War.
Commissars were are relevant in the Civil War. Their main function - is supervision of the commanders of in the army directly. Many red commanders of that period were former Tsarist officers or even turncoat from the enemy (eg nationalists). Much has also been a "red" warlords (irregular volunteer formations), joined the Red Army, together with his troops - in these military units often had big problems with discipline and execution of orders of the Soviet command. Commissars had been the political representatives of the Bolsheviks and monitored exact execution of the orders and the the moral state of of the military unit (insurgencies were not uncommon then).
Agitation and "threat" - a by-product of their activity.

A megaphone in the field is not necessary. Fleeing soldiers its can not be stopped. Otherwise, its would have used in all the armies of the world.

This is very interesting, cuprum.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 10:58:50 AM »
Commissars reborn into Soviet Army in the "deputy commander for political affairs" (zampolit). They could no longer influence the decisions of the unit commander or a military unit - in the army has returned the absolute unity of command. Now the function of "political officer" - education of patriotism among the soldiers of military unit (for example: discussion on the situation at the front and in the world, the message of the military men decisions of the Government and a clarification, counter-propaganda). At the same time the political officer had a normal military training and could act as a regular officer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_commissar

Also, there were officers of the "Special Department" (osobist). They were part of the secret service and is working to identify spies and soldiers are not loyal to the Soviet leadership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_counterintelligence_of_the_Soviet_Army

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2016, 11:32:50 AM »

There are numerous references to both Japanese and Soviet flags and banners on the Battlefield at Nomonhan.

On the other hand, your Red Banner during WW2 seems relatively rare (apart from certain special occasions - they were brought in especially for the assault on Berlin). At least in what I've read from the sources.