Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 12:39:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Heer46 Panther Ausf. F Schmalturm  (Read 2750 times)

Offline SiamTiger

• Librarian
  • The collector of many things
    • Chaosbunker - Lots of Lead, Plastic and Ideas
Heer46 Panther Ausf. F Schmalturm
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:43:57 PM »
After the incredible intense and large feedback to my last post, here's my second conversion on world war 2 vehicles, the Panther Ausf. F Schmalturm.

As Heer46 announced, that they will expand their range from 15mm / 1:100 into the 28mm / 1:56 scale, i was really, really excited. After the SdKfz 247b, one of the latest novelties is the Panther F Schmalturm.

To be set up, i got myself the Panther Ausf. G by Rubicon (as i am not a big fan of the Zimmerit, the Bolt Action kit was no option), as the Ausf. G is the latest build, so an appropiate base for the Ausf. F, along with some parts from the german stowage set, by Rubicon as well. The Heer46 Schmalturm F (narrow turret) is a resin and metal kit and costs 13,80 EUR.

The kit consists of a turret and adapter plate in resin, and the gun, hatch and infra-red sights in metal.

At first i had to prepare the chassis. I build the Panther added a few bits here and here, made it heavier with my balancing lead for tyres, and added some scratch build side skirts.

The cast of the resin and lead parts is clean, but you can see the fine steps of the 3d printer in the gun and the sides of the turret. A bit of work with sanding paper or paint / thinned down milliput will get rid of it.

You may ask, what about this stepped ring? Ill come to this in a bit, but as i decided to use the turret only with Panther chassis, i modified the turret with the plastic part and will use the adapter plate for some other project.

The adapter plate has different diameters, so you can use it with the Rubicon (left) and Italeri / Warlord (right) kit of the Panther, as well as with the Panzer IVs of both companies. Schmalturm on a Panzer IV? Well, never actually build, but was a concept by Krupp and some of you might even have it in your garage in World of Tanks, as a premium tank. A really nice idea to add this to the kit, so you can use it without hassle with different brands. I havent checked it, but it should be easily useable with the resin kits of other manufacturers as
well.

Continuing to build the turret, just trill a little hole for the infra red sight and hatch, and add the gun. I pinned it into the turret,to have a more secure fit.

The hull receives another infra red sight for the driver. It is easily glued onto the front of the tank.

Primed in two colours and ready to get some colour, the Panther F Schmalturm.

Carsten, the Tightheadprop, painted one of these kits for the Salute 2016 painting competition and made 2nd place in the category historical wargames unit. Congratulations! See the video below for the painting project.

Conclusion
Heer46 offers a nice kit to modify / individualise your tanks. 13,80 Euro might sound a bit expensive at first, but if you keep in mind, that is a small series resin cast and you have a spare plastic turret afterwards (that you could use for a fortification like this or some other conversion project) it is okay. For comparison Forge World charges 14 GBP (roughly 18 Euro) for a small chimera turret, and 16 pounds for the larger ones.

The thoughtful adapter is a bonus and the cast is properly done. This is the start of a new series of paper tank accessoires and prototypes. The kugelblitz turret is the next one to be released, along with some more elaborate projects like larger PaK and even a 1:56 scale Maus.

Link: Heer46

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Re: Heer46 Panther Ausf. F Schmalturm
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:41:53 PM »
Very  nice report, having also some 15mm Heer46 stuff, I can also confirm that there minis are really good.
Interesting build, I am eager to try one myself someday...
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:44:28 PM »
Nice little review, thanks for sharing.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:01:38 PM »
I agree that it's an excellent add on (currently have one in the the ever lengthening painting queue). It's a very clean casting & a different approach to the usual resin parts where you'd expect the turret to be a solid lump - this being more like the hollow plastic part you'd find in the current Rubicon/WG Italeri kits - it'll be interesting to see how this compares to the Company B add-on, which I assume will be the more traditional lump of resin - though I believe it'll come with PE parts for upper deck armour.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:13:43 PM by Ballardian »

Offline SiamTiger

• Librarian
  • The collector of many things
    • Chaosbunker - Lots of Lead, Plastic and Ideas
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 10:17:58 AM »
I don't expect much from the Company B kit. I had the rather unpleasant experience myself and heard from others, that the castings is mediocre at best.

With the Panther II / Panther F., there are so many thinks that could be adapted and still be converted, if you take the model kits as a reference. Like the steel wheels, hatches, thin plated covers for the hull and turret.