Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:37:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Brothers at it again!!  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Perry Brothers at it again!!
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:46:03 PM »
Just for your information, check out TMP today at the following link:

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/69944/

More French Napoleonics...French Cavalry this time!!
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Perry Brothers at it again!!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:07:29 AM »
Rather fabulous looking...

I really think they are getting better and better... The horses are just brilliant, never mind the riders.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:27:32 AM »
So glad they cut their plastic teeth on ACW these are beauties

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »
Rather fabulous looking...

I really think they are getting better and better... The horses are just brilliant, never mind the riders.

Indeed... the Perry's make some of the best horses I have ever seen.  Simply beautifully proportioned.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 02:45:11 AM »
I find the idea of "3 Up's" fascinating... so they sculpt in a larger scale then computerise it and make it smaller? Sounds like heresy to me!

Seriously though, beautiful figures! Anyone know how the process works though?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »
I don't know, but at least these and the Victrix ones are genuinely sculpted - albeit in giant size - then reduced down.

Other plastics manufacturers seem to be working from pure computer designed pieces, which are effectively 'drawn', then rendered in 3D, and it is this computer model which is used to create the mould.

So far, from the first few plastic sets to hit the market from the various entrants to the hard plastics chase, I'd say the results using actual sculpts as a start point look infinitely superior to the results using pixels only!  :?

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 11:09:35 AM »
Why doesn't the http://theminiaturespage.com/ website ever load for me?  :'( It has never worked for me, ever. I don't get it...

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 01:06:36 PM »
The 3up-size isn't new, it's something GW (and so the Perrys, too) has worked with for years. I-Kore (now Urban Mammoth) went broke after they got into plastics and forgot to tell the Chinese who did the casting that they had to resize the masters back to 1/3...
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »
I have done some of this 3D modelling but for engineering purposes not model making. The level of detail you can create is amazing. Doing it to a standard that would be required to mould crisp 28 mm miniatures would require a very high degree of skill. I am not up on the software they are using but we were using cutting edge engineering software technology at Uni 2-3 years ago and I think it would take just as long to make a model on a computer as an expert sculptor would take to sculpt one.
The one advantage with the computer is that you can save your work and reuse most of it for another model but I supposed sculptors do the similar thing with armatures and other bits and pieces they have previously cast.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 12:07:59 PM »
Yes I've seen GW use the process, albeit only recently. It does seem like a more "genuine" way of getting amazing looking figures... then again I'm quite fond of the old way of doing things too. There is a certain charm to some of the miniatures sculptured in 28mm.

Regardless, I like where the Perry brothers are heading!

Did anyone happen to read their 30 year Anniversary piece in White Dwarf?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: !
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 06:55:48 PM »

Regardless, I like where the Perry brothers are heading!

Did anyone happen to read their 30 year Anniversary piece in White Dwarf?

No. Did they say anything interesting?

Considering they are probably two of the most influential players in 'the hobby', they seem to keep a low profile. Not overly given to publicity - which I suppose is a good thing  :?

Their website is pretty functional - doesn't give much away...
And they don't seem to contribute to forums like this.
Would be nice to occasionally know what they're thinking about things and where they're going. To give their many admirers (and customers) a little bit of themselves...

I guess they just believe in letting their product speak for itself, and remaining private...

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »
I'd have to dig it out again to refresh my memory, but there really wasn't much! It was more about their career with GW as written by GW. But it was very interesting to learn how they got involved in the first place, back when things were a lot more basic I guess. It also tells you how one of the brothers (can't believe I don't remember this!) lost his arm in some civil war re-enactments (he was loading a cannon)... and how he got back into sculpting soon after recovery.

They had these two portraits of them in historic military gear which were very nicely painted. There was a little section on their relationship with Peter Jackson, although they left out the part on his personalised WW1 Kiwis. There was also an interview with PJ.

It was a decent article. Somewhat different for WD which was nice. There is a lot more focus on the "stars" of sculpting on their pages now.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 09:04:40 AM »
These napoleonics are great, I like both victrix and the perry's .

If you can mix and match which from other posts I think you can then its a glory hole for the 28mm napoleonic gamer.

dodge