Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:18:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686652
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Using 10mm orcs in 15mm? And, any recommendations for 15mm orcs?  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I'm trying to put together some 15mm armies for Mayhem and have been looking for some suitable orcs. I like the Khurasan and Eureka ones best, but their availability and speed of delivery seems uncertain at best.

But then I chanced on this link:

https://sites.google.com/site/15mmfantasy/comgoblins

From the looks of it, the BOFA and Copplestone orcs would work quite well as proper-sized Middle Earth orcs (i.e. Hobbit-sized for the smaller ones). I could then use Khurasan or Eureka ones as uruks.

Has anyone tried this? And would BOFA stands fit on a 50mm square base?

Many thanks for any pointers!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:58:11 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
Re: Using 10mm orcs in 15mm?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 03:02:12 PM »
I asked the same question time ago, here or on another forum. The answer was no, Coppleston orcs are too small to pass as already small LOTR orcs. And the Eureka ones are too big to mix.

Nevertheless, I would like to see pics of Coppleston orcs next 15mm orcs to compare with my own eyes.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 03:13:03 PM »
Thanks. There is a Copplestone orc in the link above. It and the BOFA ones look OK to my eyes - the BOFA wolfrider's wolf isn't significantly smaller than the Alternative Armies wolf.

Also, the Copplestone man-orcs are apparently 11 mm high - which would be more than four feet tall against "true" 15mm. That would (one can infer) be the upper reaches of height for the smaller breeds of orc, as Sam and Frodo are able to pass themselves off as orcs, and - presumably - were around the average Hobbit height of three and a half feet.

Edit: I should add, though, that that's without taking scale creep into account! I've little idea how this has gone in recent years, but my old Ral Partha elves tower over some historical knights that I have.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:29:18 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 04:24:42 PM »
Have you had a look at Pendraken minatures  10mm orcs , i know there delivery is good, and the figs i have are of good casting ,

Magistra miniatures  - there 15mm chariot minitures  range of orcs are  good there orcs are not large and fit in very well with my 15mm copplestone dwarfs as the are 15mm tall and could pass as vikings in a 15mm game..

blood dawn miniatures are large orcs and are very nice castings..
I did put some pics on this forum , but i have lost the magic-touch to put any pics on the web now..  :-[

http://www.slitherine.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=45557&sid=e975f2e595b66da6aa994244093905bd

glad to see you going down the 15mm road happy gaming !

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »
Have you had a look at Pendraken minatures  10mm orcs , i know there delivery is good, and the figs i have are of good casting ,

I will have a closer look. It was actually a blog with Pendraken goblins used in 15mm that started me thinking about this. I see that that link I posted has a Pendraken goblin that's a bit like the Copplestone ones, only bigger and - importantly - broader. So I'll certainly investigate those. Mayhem has a "horde" designation, which is best modelled by having more miniatures on the base than normal. I'm thinking of eight or nine per base for standard units, so fitting twenty or so biggish 10mm orcs in might give the requisite look.

Magistra miniatures  - there 15mm chariot minitures  range of orcs are  good there orcs are not large and fit in very well with my 15mm copplestone dwarfs as the are 15mm tall and could pass as vikings in a 15mm game..

Thanks. I've had a good look at the Magister Militum site and am about to order a lot of lizardmen from them. But I'm not that keen on the orc/goblin lines. The orcs seem to be mainly shirtless, muscle-bound and cartoony, and although the goblin wolfriders are very nice, I don't really like the goblin infantry: again, a bit on the cartoony side.

blood dawn miniatures are large orcs and are very nice castings..
I did put some pics on this forum , but i have lost the magic-touch to put any pics on the web now..  :-[

]http://www.slitherine.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=45557&sid=e975f2e595b66da6aa994244093905bd[/quote[

Nice! I have three of the wolves for those wonderful Ral Partha wolfriders, but the riders themselves seem to have disappeared. It's galling!

glad to see you going down the 15mm road happy gaming !

Cheers! I have - in the distant past - painted hundreds if not thousands of 15mm miniatures. But I've never, as far as I can recollect, done any gaming in the scale. That will be put right soon.

To widen the topic, does anyone have any particular recommendations for Tolkienish orcs in 15mm? At the moment, I'm veering towards 15mm.co.uk, as their orcs seem suitably understated - ugly, long-armed and large-headed, but without obvious influence of steroids or GW. They also do some intriguing "large goblins", which strike me as eminently suitable for Isengard Uruk-hai: round shields, squat frames and short, straight, broad-bladed swords. All they're missing are the long yew bows (I could add those, I suppose). But I have no idea how they scale with 15mm's other orcs.

I think they were originally produced by Asgard, who did some 25mm orcs that were clearly based very closely on Tolkien's descriptions of the Uruk-hai.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:55:16 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Using 10mm orcs in 15mm? And, any recommendations for 15mm orcs?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 02:48:03 PM »
I used some for a 15mm LotR-skirmish and found them well sized. Especially the Copplestone 10mm wolfriders look very convincing. so it might be worth a try, if you really go for Tolkien's description of Orcs a.k.a goblins.

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 03:48:56 PM »
You could check out Battle Valor Games' Orcian line.  I have acquired some Frigians, Decians, and Dwarians.  The models look great and while I don't have any Oricans, I'm sure they will be of the same quality.

http://www.battlevalorgames.com/orcianswordsmen35figures.aspx
The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 05:26:07 PM »
Yes, those look great. I've gone for 15mm.co.uk for the time being, but will line up Battle Valor for consideration with Eureka and Khurasan for the next round!

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »
Bit of a resurrection here but I just bought some Copplestone orcs and thought that a comparison pic might be of interest:

From right to left - Orc - Donnington NE - Essex - Peter Pig - Orc

Sorry about the poor quality of the image but I would hope that it serves its purpose.

The Orcs stand around 10mm tall - about waist height against the 15mm minis.

I REALLY like them and they are absolutely what I would like to see in 15mm but I am leaning towards them being too short. I would love to use them though and still might if I can add them to an Orc rabble containing a few bigger manufacturers i.e. Khurasan whose Orcs are my favourite by a long shot.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 09:21:40 PM »
This is what I got:
a 15mm Orc from Blood Dawn next to a 10mm Copplestone's (I used the 15mm Orc as an Ogre).

10mm BOFA Orc riders next to Copplestone's and lastly Warmaster's

And comparison of 10mm Warmaster to 10mm BOFA. As you can see BOFA is smaller.

Hope it helps

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 11:17:55 PM »
You can also take a look on 15mm demonworld orcs, now released by ral partha europe. I have  some of them, I really like the sculpts.

Offline David the Kiwi

• Student
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 04:22:26 AM »
I really like Splintered Light's Orcs and Goblins http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/orcsandgoblins.html - they mix very well with Eureka's Orcs and are shorter than "Man height". The "Orc Heavies" are broader and more heavily armoured - great assault troops or "Fighting Uruk-hai".

The Battle Valor Orcians are nice figures (I've painted over 100 now) but are a lot larger - in Tolkien terms, these are your Great Orcs or Olog-hai. Taller then your average man, and burlier. The BVG Goblins, on the other hand, are a similar size to Splintered Light's Goblins and Magister Militum's Blood Dawn Goblins with spears and poleaxes http://www.magistermilitum.com/era/fantasy/bdg4-goblins-with-spear-poleaxe.html - the Blood Dawn Goblins are delightfully '80's Fantasy in appearance.

Regards

David