Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:58:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686441
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Misty Mountain Goblins for KoW and Dragon Rampant  (Read 2622 times)

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
Misty Mountain Goblins for KoW and Dragon Rampant
« on: June 01, 2016, 03:10:18 PM »
After my last batch of Moria Goblins, I decided to paint up a batch of the goblins from the Misty Mountains as seen in the Hobbit.

These are a very different take on "green skins", but I think they look pretty nice.  I've been told these would work great for morlocks if you wanted to play some Time Machine themed games.

I plan to use these for King of War.  I was working on some bases and realized that with the round bases, I can't get the correct amount of models on it to match the KoW rules.  I'm still gonna use these, but it means that I can get lots more units with the models that I have available.  They might not have the horde feel, but they should still work just fine. 

I plan to have a big mix of goblins in the army.  The force will include Moria Goblins, Misty Mountain goblins, GW Night Goblins, the old plastic GW goblins, and some of the Ogre Kingdom Goblins.  It will have a good rag-tag feel to it, but by consistently basing everything, I am hoping that it will still look like everyone belongs to one army.

The full step-by-step process on how I painted these can be found on my blog.  http://gamingandshooting.blogspot.com/2016/05/lord-of-rings-goblin-town-goblins.html
The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
Re: Misty Mountain Goblins for KoW and Dragon Rampant
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »
I've completed another 36 models to go with these.  Same painting process, just more troops for the battle.

I've got a great core for Dragon Rampant.  For Kings of War, these guys will make up just 2 Horde units.  Lots more to paint I guess.

More can be found on my blog.  http://gamingandshooting.blogspot.com/2016/06/lord-of-rings-more-goblin-town-goblins.html

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 07:11:43 PM »
I like the subterranean feel to these. That horribly raw skin look is so effective.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 11:42:55 AM »
The pallid skin colors work SPLENDIDLY with the twisted look of the Goblins. The miniatures themselves look more like Ghouls or Morlocks...that would fit the subterranean theme nicely. All that aside, your brushwork, bases, & color selection are OUTSTANDING. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 01:35:22 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. 

I'm guessing with my gaming groups interest in VSF that these will be used as Morlocks at some point.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 01:18:15 AM »
To be honest I didn't like these at first.
But then I went on your blog and looked at them in sized up pics, after reading Cubs comment about the skin.
He's right you  mastered that raw, pallid skin look.Really,really excellent brushwork and color choice.
And useful as so many things too.
BTW as a KoW player I think they will make a really cool goblin horde.
Pete

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 08:40:34 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I've been pleased with how these look and while they are a bit different from the traditional goblin look, I feel like they can fit with the rest of my army.

Stay tuned, I plan to put in some work on the goblin horde in the coming weeks and hope to have a fleshed out KoW army ready soon.