Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:55:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689751
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Introducing Iron Creek, and the Jackson Gang...  (Read 5931 times)

Offline pw

• Assistant
Re: Introducing Iron Creek, and the Jackson Gang...
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 03:11:24 PM »
Thanks everyone, the Sheriff's office is ready for a game tonight, it's a really great kit though perhaps the fiddliest I've built so far (though the windows of Rogan's Bar might just have that honour!). If we get our act together there should be a post-game report coming soon.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 05:04:36 PM »
there should be a post-game report coming soon

I look forward to seeing that.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 09:54:44 AM »
Those are sharp.  I don't trust that guy in the black duster; looks like a nasty bit of trouble.  I've been looking at those Black Scorpion models for a while now but they were unpainted.  Looking at yours I want some and I haven't even got around to playing OW yet.  What system are you using?  I think I'd like to dry DMH but my seller is sold out  :-[.

Offline pw

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 02:55:23 PM »
We're using Dead Man's Hand and enjoying it a lot. It's a quick and easy game with a very free-flowing ruleset that priveledges cinematic fun over realism in a way that appeals to me at the moment. For example, if you want your dude to climb onto a roof, that's fine, don't worry about climbing tests or move reduction, just stick him up there, it'll look cool!

I'm also a big fan of the Black Scorpion models, I think the poses look great and they paint up really fast - to the level I'm happy with anyway!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 03:31:28 AM »
Yeah those BS models are sweet.  They managed to capture some real spaghetti character in most of them;  I particularly like their townsfolk.  I've also been looking at the DMH and artizan ones.  I find them a little more hit and miss but the scale comparisons look to check out well so I'll be able to choose the ones I like best.  I'm going to pick up some figures just to paint something different and like the sounds of the DMH rules but choosing between rules sets and models the models always get me more interested in a new project.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »
I loved Black Scorpion prior to resin...now I won't buy anymore.  I find the 32mm Knuckleduster digital sculpts to be superb and a perfect match for the BS minis.  I'll be sticking to them for the near future --- wonderful, and metal.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 06:39:38 AM »
@elbows

Those Knuckleduster models look awesome and the price is pretty nice too.  I think I'll be dealing with them somewhere down the road.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 01:54:13 AM »
Yep, if you're looking to match Black Scorpion go with the 32mm ones...other smaller marques, maybe try the proper 28?  I haven't seen the smaller figures.  The 32's aren't super big (about the exact same as Black Scorpion).

Offline pw

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 01:18:00 PM »
Elbows- what are you thouhts with the BS resin? I know I'd prefer metal (from habit) but I'm hoping the resin is ok.

My Outlaws are all old metal models so I've not got much experience with their resin yet (I've got a couple which have been ok though there have been some fairly fiddly mould lines to work on.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 01:34:48 PM »
Elbows- what are you thouhts with the BS resin? I know I'd prefer metal (from habit) but I'm hoping the resin is ok.

I know Elbows is not keen on resin figures, and neither am I.
I feel that resin figures are too fragile for the rigours of gaming and also prefer the 'heft' of a metal figure when painting.
All of my own BS figures are metal for these reasons.

I am sure that you could still pick up metal versions if you look around, or put an advert in the (WANTED) section of the Bazaar. I managed to acquire all of mine this way and also picked a few up on ebay.

Another option, which seem to match in pretty well with the BS stuff, scale-wise, is the options in the Reaper range or the Galloping Major figures also size up nicely. My own Blind Beggar figures are also designed to work with BS (but I would say that though, wouldn't I... :D) as they were made with that intention in mind.

This is the only pic I have comparing BB and GM to BS....

Blind Beggar, Galloping Major, Blind Beggar, Black Scorpion

To be fair, I mix and match quite a lot of manufacturers in my bands.
If you take a look at some of my pics here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=60011.2460

....you will see a fair mix of stuff together and can judge for yourself.

I hope that helps... :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 02:53:34 PM »
I'm in the park with Mason.

As a rule I find resin extremely fragile for gaming purposes.  In addition the first batch of Black Scorpion figures I received in resin were some of their pirates and they were completely terrible.  Fragile, crumbly, huge air bubbles, and some arrived broken.  They sent me a few free figures.  The later Old West ones were a bit better but overall I won't go back to resin.  I've found that some resin - the GW-esque stuff is very prone to bending/warping when hot/warm.  That includes inside of a car here in the states if it gets too warm.

I picked up some resin "corpses" from Great Escape Games and they were the very worst single items I've ever received from a miniatures company (the resin didn't help)

http://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com/2016/01/bodies-and-boxes.html

^Shows the absolutely god awful corpses from GEG.

I'm not a master painter...I do not find the extra detail of resin to justify the extra work.  I believe it is a complete farse that companies think people want resin in place of metal or plastic.  Note this is entirely strong personal opinion.  I'll buy some larger bulky resin terrain bits (barrels, boxes etc.) but for actual gaming models I stay as far away from resin as possible.  If Knuckleduster keeps up their fantastic sculpts in 32mm metal (which are some absolutely stunning clean casts) I'll never give Black Scorpion another cent.  The nonsense "this allows us to ship for cheaper" crap is just that - crap.

lol (steps down off soap box)

Offline pw

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 10:27:37 PM »
I've just painted up some lawmen (a mix of metal and resin) to battle the desperados who are causing havoc on the streets of Iron Creek. Here's a quick pic...

And thanks for the recommendations for other figures, I've just seen that Caliver Books sell Knuckleduster miniatures and plan to order some soon. It'll be interesting to see how the look alongside the BS cowboys.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:35:03 PM by pw »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 11:28:53 PM »
pw, I'll try to snap some pics with minis next to each other soon.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 07:38:01 AM »
I've just painted up some lawmen (a mix of metal and resin) to battle the desperados who are causing havoc on the streets of Iron Creek. Here's a quick pic...

And thanks for the recommendations for other figures, I've just seen that Caliver Books sell Knuckleduster miniatures and plan to order some soon. It'll be interesting to see how the look alongside the BS cowboys.

The lawmen look great. Iron Creek is coming on nicely. This might help for a size comparison with Black Scorpion and Knuckleduster, apologies for the unpainted figures.

L-R: Black Scorpion, Knuckleduster, Black Scorpion, Knuckleduster, Black Scorpion, Knuckleduster,
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:41:43 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 07:46:17 AM »
Nice work on the lawmen.
 :-* :-*