Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:21:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic Cybermen  (Read 8012 times)

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
Re: Plastic Cybermen
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 08:38:03 AM »
Can we please have a ruler or some other figures in a photo with them?

No. They are taller than Pulp Miniatures models on a Plastic base.
I posted them because I detect a 'precious' syndrome among Lead Adventurers ~ these are representative tokens in a GAME not high art. They cost £2 for five and look 'loosely' like Cybermen, so they'll do for me to use once or twice a year.
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 08:41:13 AM »
Each to their own.

I managed to pick up some of the original plastic Citadel ones - 15 daleks and 15 cybermen off of fleabay a few months back, for £15 - similar cost per mini, but much better sculpts.

Of course, i've still got to paint them.... ;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 09:26:30 AM »
I posted them because I detect a 'precious' syndrome among Lead Adventurers ~ these are representative tokens in a GAME not high art. They cost £2 for five and look 'loosely' like Cybermen, so they'll do for me to use once or twice a year.

Are you calling us obsessive figure painters like the GW Golden Demon crowd and most of the current German sculptors?!? *takes off left glove and gets ready to slap*

;)

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »

Are you calling us obsessive figure painters like the GW Golden Demon crowd and most of the current German sculptors?!? *takes off left glove and gets ready to slap*

;)
No. I'm just making a point learned at my Grandmother's knee: in life you generally get what you pay for. I'm happy to pay £2 at the local newsagents for a set of five 'Cyberman-ish' figures to use in one or two games a year, just to 'surprise' an opponent with something unexpected. GAMES being the main thrust of this hobby I thought.
As I have no practical skills in the sculpting department I've always felt it best to keep my opinions to myself, in that area at least. If I like something then I'll say so, but if I don't then I keep my opinions private, as I'm sure either way they are of little or no relevance in the wider hobby.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 10:24:02 AM »

;)
No. I'm just making a point learned at my Grandmother's knee: in life you generally get what you pay for. I'm happy to pay £2 at the local newsagents for a set of five 'Cyberman-ish' figures to use in one or two games a year, just to 'surprise' an opponent with something unexpected. GAMES being the main thrust of this hobby I thought.
As I have no practical skills in the sculpting department I've always felt it best to keep my opinions to myself, in that area at least. If I like something then I'll say so, but if I don't then I keep my opinions private, as I'm sure either way they are of little or no relevance in the wider hobby.

A very good point - it is not always possible or even desirable to spend a lot of money on something that will rarely get used. My son also has some, which he is happy to use alongside the better [but still not perfect] Dr Who Micro Universe figures.

They are poor figures, judged against our usual expectations of 28mm, but die just as quickly as more expensive figures when exterminated by a Dalek  lol 

I for one am happy to hear you opinions, so please don't stop posting.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 10:37:53 AM »

;)

Actually, I was merely joking (as I´m sure you will have realised). I fully agree with your point, and I do also think that a lot of fun can be had with such "low-end" stuff.

I wonder, though, if one could "spice up" these cybermen to make them look even better.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »
I wonder, though, if one could "spice up" these cybermen to make them look even better.

Blowtorch?

;)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 11:05:07 AM »
Where are these from?

I got one of the keyring cybermen, after I saw Yankeepedlar's last year, and nicked his idea.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 11:44:37 AM »
Each to their own.
I managed to pick up some of the original plastic Citadel ones - 15 daleks and 15 cybermen off of fleabay a few months back, for £15 - similar cost per mini, but much better sculpts.

Didn't they all come in a pose with one hand in the air ?

Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 01:28:21 PM »
Each to their own.

yep, but then there's only a couple of poses of each type by BTD design (and only one Mk 1) and only one pose of the MU one... the placcy citadel ones could be supplemented with the metal Who range that GW did at the same time... but even 80's citadel had a much higher standard than these - in this day and age, that they are presented at all is a shocking lapse in the Beebs licencing standards, Doctor Who Adventures has had some quality free gifts (I have the tardis pencil case  :D), but these are very poor indeed, a better sculpt could have been produced for the same money.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »
Each to their own.

yep, but then there's only a couple of poses of each type by BTD design (and only one Mk 1) and only one pose of the MU one... the placcy citadel ones could be supplemented with the metal Who range that GW did at the same time... but even 80's citadel had a much higher standard than these - in this day and age, that they are presented at all is a shocking lapse in the Beebs licencing standards, Doctor Who Adventures has had some quality free gifts (I have the tardis pencil case  :D), but these are very poor indeed, a better sculpt could have been produced for the same money.
I think you are missing the point. They are a freebie on a magazine/comic game aimed at young children. They are not models for wargamers, I doubt the Julians and Sebastians at the BBC have even met a wargamer. There are, as you say, plenty of better figures out there for the Whovians amongst us to buy if they want, these are just a cheap throw away to get parents and children to buy a comic.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
I think you are missing the point. They are a freebie on a magazine/comic game aimed at young children. They are not models for wargamers, I doubt the Julians and Sebastians at the BBC have even met a wargamer. There are, as you say, plenty of better figures out there for the Whovians amongst us to buy if they want, these are just a cheap throw away to get parents and children to buy a comic.

no... I'm saying that just because they are aimed for kids, doesn't mean you can excuse any old pap...

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 06:08:47 PM »

no... I'm saying that just because they are aimed for kids, doesn't mean you can excuse any old pap...

I think we will have to agree to differ. Obviously you have a different take on the issue and it would be foolish to let this run on any further. A glance through the content of the magazine itself will surely show that its aimed at the pre adolescent toy market, not, as I tried to point out, at gamers. As most will end up in the bin after a few days/weeks why would Auntie spend good money on a proper sculpt? I think the original post was just alerting members to the possibility of a few cheap 'Cybermen-type' figurs for the odd fun game.