Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:52:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Illithid Warband and others: Elementalist conversion update  (Read 7998 times)

Offline srba

• Assistant
Hi guys! My first post so go easy please.

So back when I was a kid (nearly 20 years ago :'(), I used to buy and paint the occasional warhammer miniature but never had any opportunity or real inclination to play the game, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot and a yearning for miniature modelling since. A few months ago I got back into the hobby via X-Wing miniatures and, when I heard about Frostgrave, my interest was instantly piqued.

Initially, I started work on a Final Fantasy-themed warband and got as far as doing some Black Mage wizards and bought my first green stuff and taught myself some basic sculpting in order to make pointy hats. I ran out of steam a bit though as I realised all of the soldiers were going to require substantial conversion too, but it was the 'Mind Control' Soothsayer spell that had me constantly thinking about Illithids.

So I did some googling and found this conversion that was a big inspiration to me and set to work. I decided it would be more thematic (and easier) to just have the casters as Mind Flayers and to have Underdark humanoids as soldier thralls.

I'm really pleased with the results. This is the biggest painting project I've completed and very satisfied to have actually carried it through to its conclusion:

The whole team

Soothsayer and Apprentice

To begin with, three thieves, but to be eventually upgraded

Crossbowmen

Thug, Infantryman, Thug

I'm hoping to do a Svirfneblin apothecary at some stage and find some kind of suitable underdark-style warhound.

Thanks for viewing. Any comments or suggestions very welcome.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:53:39 PM by srba »

Offline Like_Clockwork

• Bookworm
  • "The only way to meet your equal, is to become it"
Re: Illithid Soothsayer Warband
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:46:35 PM »
Very cool war band, I actually was considering making an Illithid for a soothsayer, but I didn't have much interest in soothsayers in general, so I never did it.

I have to ask though, I see your Mind Flayers are custom, would you be so kind as to tell me what you used as a base for your Wizard Illithid? It looks incredibly cool, but I am curious as to what the original looks like as well.

Thank you,
Like Clockwork
I do hope you enjoyed reading whatever it is I have typed, I likely put some thought into it, and appreciate when others look into my brain and go, "Huh, okay"

Offline steeldragon

• Librarian
    • IG :)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:50:37 PM »
Love your warband and a great work on those blacks, it's not easy to get that suble lights on it :)

Andres

Offline srba

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:52:28 PM »
Very cool war band, I actually was considering making an Illithid for a soothsayer, but I didn't have much interest in soothsayers in general, so I never did it.

I have to ask though, I see your Mind Flayers are custom, would you be so kind as to tell me what you used as a base for your Wizard Illithid? It looks incredibly cool, but I am curious as to what the original looks like as well.

Thank you,
Like Clockwork

Thanks a lot. The base mini is this Chaos Sorcerer Lord by GW. It's a really nice, crisp, striking, uncomplicated mini.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:20:22 PM by srba »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 11:05:11 PM »
Lovely work.  Very effective conversions and a good choice of colors.

Offline Dreadknot69

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 12:09:46 AM »
Love the colour scheme and the highlighting work. Very well done.

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 07:38:46 AM »
I was thinking of an Illithid warband two days ago, how funny is that? I even dug out my very old D1 Descent Into The Depths to take a look at what the ol' mind flayers were originally up to.

I am very happy that you have done this before I go around to ordering anything, you have saved me some cash!
Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 09:19:05 AM »
That's a very menacing warband, dark yet very nicely painted - bravo!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 09:53:12 AM »
Very dark - some nice crisp painting really makes them evil.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 12:36:10 PM »

Funny enough, I bought these last saturday, Reaper DHL nr 03438:

Would go nicely with the metal Cultist models form Nick Northstar ( if I ever can find the motivation to carve up those horrible double mouldlines on most of them  >:( ).

Ot: Nice, suitable dark colours on those henchmen. Love ém...  :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:40:08 PM by Duncan McDane »
Leadhead

Offline srba

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 07:47:49 PM »
Thanks very much everyone.

About the black - I didn't actually realise black was a known 'difficult colour' before I started. I found out, of course...

That's a very menacing warband, dark yet very nicely painted - bravo!

Thank you! Herefordshire 1938 huh? I grew up there.

Not in 1938 ofc.

Online The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 07:51:41 PM »
Yep.

That's pretty awesome...
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 08:15:03 PM »
Very nice! Great look, great atmosphere, it just radiates "evil" in a good way!  lol

I'd say you need a displacer beast or two if you want some warhounds, either homebrew (since those budding greenstuff skills seem to be on par) or some fresh new ones from somewhere else (Ral Partha/Reaper/GW warpbeast?)

Can't wait to see the Svirneblin!

Offline srba

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 08:44:15 PM »
Thanks again folks for the feedback.

I'd say you need a displacer beast or two if you want some warhounds, either homebrew (since those budding greenstuff skills seem to be on par) or some fresh new ones from somewhere else (Ral Partha/Reaper/GW warpbeast?)

Can't wait to see the Svirneblin!

Oh yeah that's a great idea. I'd been thinking of intellect devourers but couldn't find anything I liked. Just need to find the right mini!

For the Svirfneblin, even though I know they're not supposed to have facial hair, I really want to use this head from the GW Battlemage:

I'll probably go for a reaper bones gnome or halfling mini for the body.

EDIT: I like this displacer beast the best, but there doesn't seem anywhere to buy them outside of the USA :(

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:52:05 PM by srba »

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 09:11:12 PM »
Herefordshire 1938 huh? I grew up there.

Not in 1938 ofc.
Ooh... Are you still local?