Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:48:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: NEW - Eureka Miniatures 28mm 'pre contact' Maori figures pics  (Read 18149 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: NEW - Eureka Miniatures 28mm 'pre contact' Maori figures pics
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 05:02:27 PM »
Great painting Rolf, I avoided Moko as just too hard, tried pens but no easier for me, kudos to Lon.

To lighten mine I went a little lighter on the skirts, think I used dark then pale sand to lift them a little

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 08:50:16 AM »
Thanks Karl,

Here are a few more slightly better 'presented'...

HW

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 10:34:38 AM »
Lovely.

I have the Eureka miniatures too; they are nice in their movement. With werekake educating me on dress, custom, etc of these bubbly little guys. ;)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 05:07:42 PM »
Fantastic work Rolf :-* you also need to pick up the tribal rules, great and innovative for some inter tribal skirmishes

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 10:43:18 PM »

Fantastic work

8)

you also need to pick up the tribal rules

...got that covered...works for that small scale skirmish ;)

I plan on using Muskets & Tomahawks (at this point) with my own twist on things...

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 01:02:32 AM »
Lovely figures, Rolf. I like the different skin tones on the maori, and I really like the moko you've done on the leader - nice job.

I like the fact those maori are attacking the settlement with the pig in it - got their eyes on the kune-kune pig for a hangi later?  ;D

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2016, 11:06:50 AM »
These Eureka figures look really nice.  I've heard about these Māori figures for a about a year now, but repeated visits to the Eureka site haven't turned them up. So it is good to see they are now being talked about more.

That's great work on painting those figures, too.  Lon's facial moko has worked really well - I might just give my own Empress figures another try at moko using this technique.

I know it is a little bit out of the period Eureka are aiming at, but the missing party amongst the combined Eureka and Empress ranges are western-dressed Māori for the later wars of the 1860s/70s (wearing waistcoats, for example - and even the occasional bowler hat à la Goldie).

Roly Hermans
Paraparaumu, New Zealand

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »
These Eureka figures look really nice.  I've heard about these Māori figures for a about a year now, but repeated visits to the Eureka site haven't turned them up. So it is good to see they are now being talked about more.

That's great work on painting those figures, too.  Lon's facial moko has worked really well - I might just give my own Empress figures another try at moko using this technique.

I know it is a little bit out of the period Eureka are aiming at, but the missing party amongst the combined Eureka and Empress ranges are western-dressed Māori for the later wars of the 1860s/70s (wearing waistcoats, for example - and even the occasional bowler hat à la Goldie).

Definately Roly, western dressed bearded Maori and bush rangers in shawls, your painting of the Perry intervention forces was spot on but we need opposition

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 02:03:45 PM »
Thanks Guys,

...got some more on the paint table so shall pop up a few more when I get them done...probably whack up a post on the blog now I have a few in hand and some other bits and bobs to go with it...

@Werewake
...well Ara, I thought they might be Kupapa the way they are facing!...though the pig's days are numbered I'd say!!  :o

@Arteis/Lowartdog
Gents, I floated the idea of some more musket armed Maori and didn't get any bites in the initial post on this thread...though I think Eureka doing 6-8 would be a really good idea IMHO. That said, Empress Minis do a few packs and I can see why this may not be as appealing as they are sort of available though IMHO an additional 6-8 from Eureka would make for a really soldi range of musket armed Maori for the Musket and 1st Maori War.

That said, would their be any desire for 8-10 Ranger/militia type troops and an equal number of western dress maori for the 2nd/3rd maori war? I KNOW this CAN happen if enough people put their hand up...I've already had the conversation and it can be done fairly quickly (8 weeks-ish).

SO if we want them then it's up to us..we can have Alan Marsh sculpt them for Eureka and get the two main missing troop types to enable the 2nd/3rd Maori War forces to be more or less complete when combined with the Perry BIF troops. If a strip or two of spare heads are sculpted then the figures could be converted for further utility...that'd make for a pretty solid high quality figure line and open up the period considerably....

I can't do this alone so hands up folks if we want this to happen...we need fairly serious numbers to get it over the line ie 500 or so sales on 10 figure variations for each type...not too much really when spread across 10-12+ people when you consider the utility of the troops to stand in for multiple forces...

...what say you gentlemen?

HW
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:55:47 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »
How does it work Rolf? Is it like a kick starter?

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2016, 02:40:13 PM »
"How does it work Rolf? Is it like a kick starter?"

Well, I have no idea how KS works and not that interested in going there. What I can say is that if we get enough people to commit then those figures will be sculpted (as I'm told). Just need to get people to say yes and give a number of troops they want.

Once the required number is reached, the research passed to the sculptor, then the figures get sculpted...nothing fancy like KS...just a bunch of people saying 'I want this' and if the numbers are there...then it can get done...

Personally, I'd easily be up for 50 of each type...that would provide all the troops I think I'd need for a solid skirmish game depicting late war Maori, Crown allies (Kupapa) and Forest Rangers/Militia. Combined with Perry BIF then that's got 4/5ths of it covered...maybe 9/10ths.

HW

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2016, 02:46:45 PM »
Im in for it then,

Say 10 of later Maori and 10 militia types, id go 5 of each figure....where do I sign :D

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2016, 02:54:53 PM »
I take it you mean 10 variants of each type and you'd get five each...for a total of 50 of Rangers and 50 Maori....is that correct?

I think I can rustle up another person interested in similar numbers so that would mean we'd be at 150 of the two types...a good start and around a quarter to a third way there...👏

...can we interest anyone else? ...and please feel free to ask around on any other forum to spread the word 👍

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2016, 03:00:46 PM »
Thats spot on Rolf :)

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2016, 12:02:34 AM »
30 of each for me, to go with my existing Perry British regulars.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:10:21 AM by Arteis »