Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:46:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: More zeds studio miniatures Second Set.  (Read 21131 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: More zeds studio miniatures Second Set.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 04:56:18 PM »
I ordered the first two sets on Tuesday (3rd March) at 5pm.

They were waiting for me when i got home today - fantastic service, well-packaged, excellent value, and ready to paint.

The Romero figure that came free with the first two mobs is well worth a look as well.

:)

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 06:46:49 PM »
Although I am really not into Zombies, those are some very creative and great looking figures. The chicken Zombie is awesome!!
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 06:56:43 PM »
Also they say two survivor sets next, then four more zombie mobs!!!! :o :-* lol o_o ;D ;) :)

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 10:24:16 PM »
I ordered the first two sets on Tuesday (3rd March) at 5pm.

They were waiting for me when i got home today - fantastic service, well-packaged, excellent value, and ready to paint.

How well do they match up with Cold War zombies or others like zombie smith? They look larger like 30-32mm to me but it is hard to tell. Thanks.

Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 11:13:20 PM »
Akula, how do they compare? 28mm, or no?
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 08:42:18 AM »
Absolutely fine, size wise - haven't got a measure to hand, but they are right in the mix with the best of the other ranges - Cold War, Hasslefree, Crocodile, Brigade etc etc

:)

Offline Onimusha

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 02:18:25 PM »
I ordered both sets but was wondering if they actually include the scenic bases shown on the pictures.

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 03:32:01 PM »
No scenic bases included but slotta bases and fab zeds. :D
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 03:37:10 PM »
sent for both sets last night cant wait. ;D

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 10:48:37 PM »
true theft is theft, i once worked for a charity that had used a library picture of a famous film character without permission  and the film company concerned took offence and offered to forget the theft of thier property if the charity paid a small sum to use the image the small sum was £45000 .im sure that any small struggling figure company could come up with that sort of license fee so they could make huge amounts of profit on thier £2 figures.I trust we all paid to use the images we use as avatars on our posts and pay to show the pics of the figures we just painted ?. Not saying its right but i think if licenses were cheap enough most companys would buy them. ;)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 04:19:52 AM »
Hmmm well personally I don't see it in the same light as being theft... the sculpts while perhaps taking inspiration from an idea from film are definately not exact copies of the the character they look like.  So while I agree that the sculptor may have taken inspiration from a film character I don't think of it as a direct rip off.  And lets face it there is a world of difference from Hasbro making 500,000 copies of an action figure of Snake Plikin and selling them for $12 each and a small miniature company doing a look alike figure and selling 100 figures.  Personally I think of it as more of a homage.  Do you really think Romera is going to get upset that Studio Miniatures did a zombie miniature of him?  Again it is out of respect for what he has done for the zombie genre... not an attempt to rip him off.  I am thinking George is going to love his zombie miniature and not demand that his image be licensed.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 07:59:31 AM »
i've got a real chip on my shoulder about Hasslefree, and i'll derail threads to slag them off

Whats the matter Scurv, did Kev White run your cat over or something?

As much as you have a go at people that dare to criticise Wargames Factory for producing figures that look like they've been left on the radiator for too long, you seem to have a fixation with attacking HF.....

pot kettle black?

;)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 09:02:39 AM »
i've got a real chip on my shoulder about Hasslefree, and i'll derail threads to slag them off

Whats the matter Scurv, did Kev White run your cat over or something?

As much as you have a go at people that dare to criticise Wargames Factory for producing figures that look like they've been left on the radiator for too long, you seem to have a fixation with attacking HF.....

pot kettle black?

;)

Have to agree there, you are completely derailing this thread: (MODs take note!)

By all means start up an IP related discussion thread, (not that it hasn't been done to death!).

Anyway:

The whole IP derived thing's been done SOOOO many times, ode's nod's and pastice is fine in my book, the fat bint zed was a nice touch as is george and links it into the zeitgeist/popular culture so to speak.

If it was advertised as 'FEATURING MINIATURES FROM DAWN OF THE DEAD REMAKE' then I'd agree that there was gain from this, but it's a bonus not a draw I suppose.

And in this hobby....EVERYTHING is Derived (even your arguement!)....

If you want a gloves off fair fight then head to frother's Scurv... where the people you continually slate will be more than happy to discuss your opinions in open and honset debate, or maybe you're already there in troll form??

:D

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:22:46 AM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 09:44:26 AM »
Well to be fair, you couldn't get a licence for most of these small scale tributes if you tried. There is simply not enough money in one or two character figs that maybe sell a few hundred each for the Studios to make it worth their while.

Big franchises like Star Wars, Stargate or Starship Troopers are the exception (and even then it doesn't always pay off and they dissappear after a while).

A point that is often made, but with reason, is that most fantasy ranges ride on the Tolkien wave and accentuate similarities with the races and characters (who doesn't make a pointy hat "grey wizard" type?) within. Do all these need to be banned?

As for the IP theft thing, fact remains that the figures may ressemble the characters they are inspired by and benefit from/exploit that, but they are not copies. The so-called not scooby doo gang for instance. You can see the many similarities but in the end if you put them next to a drawing of the original characters, they are not the same, they are even in a wholly different style. Could a case be made against them anyway? Perhaps. One judge will interpret the law differently from another and verdicts on these things can go either way.

In the end though, that is not for us to decide (judge not lest ye be judged). If you feel it is wrong, then vote with your feet and don't support the company unless it changes it's pollicy.

And now let's go back on topic perhaps, this is not frothers after all. ;)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 10:02:34 AM »
fat lady zombie... hmmm... fat people... no, pretty sure there is no copyright there (although if there is I am in breach)... ladies? well, if you go with the God created route that has to be out of any kind of copyright... zombies? nope, nothing there either... now then, do you get fat ladies? let's see... yes, yes I think you do... fat lady zombies? not really a stretch of the imagination is it - oh wait, someone did one in a film, but can it actually be the same fat lady zombie? well blow m... hang on, don't horrorclix do one?  :o

sooooooooo.... is it specifically sculpted to look like Ermes Blarasin in a fat lady prosthetic suit? or is it just a fat lady who can't out run the hordes of the living dead?