Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:36:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ideas for 15mm Warhammer Figures Please  (Read 5394 times)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Ideas for 15mm Warhammer Figures Please
« on: June 09, 2016, 11:57:49 PM »
I have a crazy idea that I might try some warhammer in 15mm. After a rummage through my loft I have found 6th edition WH rules and a pile of WH Army books. I have no desire to buy a whole load of expensive GW figures to satisfy this crazy idea so I thought I might try to build armies up using 15mm figures and just alter the ranges and moment rates accordingly.

I have seen the Daemonworld (RPE) orcs and think these have the best GW look, but was wondering if anyone has ideas for Empire troops/knights on Griffins/ war machines etc in 15mm scale.

Has anyone tried this before? (I am sure someone must have)

This is the kind of look I am after for my Empire troops...

any advice would be welcome.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline mister c

• Bookworm
Re: Ideas for 15mm Warhammer Figures Please
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 09:42:39 AM »
Has anyone tried this before? (I am sure someone must have)
Indeed.  At one time I had an extensive WHFB 15mm collection.  Alas I sold most of it off when I could no longer see the detail to paint.
For Empire I used mostly Essex 15mm range.  The earlier minis from the medieval range worked as some of the less developed provinces, moving forward to the Renaissance range for Altdorf etc.  Essex fantasy halflings supplied the denizens of The Moot as well.  This was the Empire before the addition of large magical war machines or demi gryphon riding knights, I'm not sure what you could use for them.
As a gaming group we also had Dwarves (mostly Chariot, now Magister Militum), Chaos Dwarves (Grenadier dwarves and Alternative Armies hobgoblins), Undead (Chariot and Essex), Dark Elves (10mm Pendraken) and Skaven (Pendraken).  As Warhammer developed one of the players added some lovely Khemrians and Lizardmen.

Ironically I am now looking at 15mm again.  A combination of using a magnifying visor and a change in the way I paint minis (and in expectations) means I recently finished a 15mm Orc force for Dragon Rampant (Pics on my blog https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4899669474242045369#editor/target=post;postID=6254744241279546272;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=16;src=postname).
At some point I will rebase my old Empire stuff to use as a League of Rhordia army for KoW, but we still haven't decided on base sizes yet.

Hope this is useful.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:56:48 PM by mister c »
Check out my gaming and painting blog (Including Frostgrave) at
http://periodicpainting.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/frostgrave.html

Online Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 11:24:25 AM »
This is something I have considered having no interest in getting a mortgage for GW minis and having little storage for large armies. I also looked at Black Hat's 15s they have some nice Renaissance types as do 15mm.co.uk.

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 12:36:26 PM »
The Demonworld (RPE) Empire range should do a lot of it. 

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/demonworld-15mm-c-76/demonworld-classic-c-76_151/the-empire-c-76_151_80/

For the warmachines / cannon use Demonworld (RPE) Dwarf range.  They also have some Dwarf Arquebusiers who are in Lanschneck style clothing. 

Knights on Griffins may be the only difficult one.  Demonworld (RPE) Empire range has a knight on a dragon and you can now buy all sorts of Demonworld figures singly - so the rider is no problem.  However, Demonworld do not do a Griffin.  So to make that exact model you'll need to get on e from Splinted Light of 15mm.co.uk and kit bash it.

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 03:14:05 PM »
Good advice above about using historicals. You will find that these are much cheaper than fantasy figures. Then you can just add some of the heroes, griffin riders, wizards, etc from the fantasy ranges.

For dwarves I recommend Peter Pig as these actually look dwarf sized compared to 15mm humans, which many 15mm dwarves don't.

Here are some of mine :

More here:
http://polkovnikproductions.freeforums.org/15mm-dwarf-army-t472.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:21:50 PM by Polkovnik »

Offline mister c

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 08:12:43 PM »
Those are cracking dwarves  :).  You are quite right about differing sizes, I found quite a few that would have done as 20mm dwarves, certainly many are around 15mm tall, so look odd next to historical humans.

When I had dreams of a Bretonnian army in 15mm i bought a tube of fantasy monsters IIRC from The Early Learning Centre.  It contained several griffons and pegasi, around the right scale for 15mm.  No idea if they are still available, but I'm sure there must be something out there.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 11:12:33 AM »
Troops and knights you're pretty well covered by Ral Partha.Regarding war machines, as has been mentioned there are a good deal around. I'm pretty such I've seen a historical Hussite war wagons (museum miniatures?). There's a guy who's made a decent steam tank from a VSF tank here:
http://themedetianwars.blogspot.dk/2014/11/steam-tank-tastic.html
I'm sure I've seen a griffon somewhere, thought it was 15mm.co.uk, but I can't see it on there now, but there must be one somewhere.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 07:26:27 PM »
Cheers everyone. That steam tank link is the business. I know that this 15mm idea was a good one, and thanks to everyone's ideas here I a determined to give it a go. I think I might start by doing up an empire and an ork army for Dragon Rampent, then expand it up to warhammer scale. I have dug out my old army books and am starting to write some lists.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 07:44:55 PM »
Splintered Light has excellent WFB-styled Orcs, Goblins, Skaven, Dark Elves and Wood Elves.  Might be more, been a while since I surfed their catalog.  Their more recent releases have tended toward a more classic D&D inspired look, but the earlier ranges were much more Warhammer-friendly (or Armies of Arcana, which is what I've mostly seen them used for).

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 10:55:26 PM »
There are lots of odd historicals that could mix into a fantasy force, especially in 15mm.
Apart from Hussite war-wagons (Museum Miniatures, Minifigs, Essex) you might be able to kitbash something - would a 10mm WWI or SCW armoured car convert to a 15mm steam tank?
There are kits of the Da Vinci tank etc but most are in quite large scales, but you might find something in a "museum novelty key ring" or "novelty pencil sharpener" range. Look in your nearest museum or art gallery gift shop.
Also worth checking cheap board games - car boot sales in the summer are the best source for random bits of cheap tat. Charity shops are another option.
Also craft/card making shops sometimes have occasional useful finds. Especially whilst steam-punk is still in vogue. I actually found a plastic bead (designed for ear-ring making) that was perfect for a 25mm pirate ship figurehead of a mermaid.

Some ancient figure ranges might provide useful pieces too, things like Byzantine flamethrowers or a wide selection of ballistas/mangonels etc. The Perrier siege engine might look suitable (a sort of trebuchet style thing with lots of chaps pulling bell ropes instead of a counterweight)
Chariot Miniatures used to have interesting figures amongst their ancients including a camel disguised as an elephant (it's wearing a sort of basket-work fancy dress outfit, with the camel's head looking out from between the ears).
Small Schleich dinosaurs make useful mounts for fighting platforms or armoured riders.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 10:56:24 PM »
Splintered light also have a Egyptian undead range that is worth checking out for tomb kings. Battle valour is also worth checking out for figures, though none of them have a basis for GWs stuff, if your like me and are effectively looking to expand on the Warhammer world they're worth a look.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 01:26:40 AM »
15mm.co.uk (or one of their linked companies) have a lovely resin Da Vinci tank in 15mm, along with Leo himself. They've got a decent range of fantasy figures too.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 09:49:30 AM »
You should definately have a look at the Magister Militum Blood Dawn fantasy miniatures. They are more like 17 or 18mm scale but the orcs in particular are very GW. The dwarves are also very good and they have berserkers (troll/giant slayers).
http://www.magistermilitum.com/manufacturer/blood-dawn.html#p=1

[/url]

laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 05:17:01 PM »
Try Old Glory 15s for Empire and Kislev , they do some great artillery.

Check out this blog for some.http://chrisfigurines.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/15mm-italian-wars-viii-cannon.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:25:32 PM by Von Trinkenessen »