Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:56:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone played with two sides in a multi-player Pulp Alley game?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
I'm looking at a six-player scenario for an upcoming convention. I've done several 4-player convention games, plus a six-player at WinterCon16, all very successful. And all were every man for himself!

I was considering, however, setting this one up as having two sides, with each side consisting of three players in an uneasy alliance. Leagues will be four characters (leader, sidekick , 2 allies). The winner will be the player (not the side!) with the most victory points. Players on a side may not fight with their allies, but may play Fortune cards on them (for good  :) or ill  :o) or play Perils  >:D on them. It seems to me that such an arrangement would be within the spirit of the Pulp genre.

I have had good luck with the Hidalgo Fire scenario with a four-foot board, so that's what I'm thinking here.

My main goal here is to make a very enjoyable game even more fun. I would welcome comments, pearls of wisdom, suggestions, or accounts of your past experiences with this approach.

Mike
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Anyone played with two sides in a multi-player Pulp Alley game?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 08:51:32 PM »
Cool idea, Mike. These kinds of games can be lots of fun.

Yes, the Pulp Alley rules and Fortune cards are already written to include this style of play. So when 2+ players form a team prior to the start of a scenario, then their characters become "friendly" but they are not colleagues.

Note, we are VERY specific in our use of the terms like opponent, friendly, enemy, character, colleague, and so.

Some examples....
You cannot normally play a Peril on a teammate's character because they are not an "opponent".
Not So Fast can be played on any character - so you could impair a teammate.
Give or Take can be played on any challenge - so you could make a teammate's challenge easier or harder.
Hit or Miss can be played on any player - so you could make a teammate's Health check easier or harder.
Ain't Over Yet can be played after any fight - so you can make two characters continue fighting even if neither is yours (a personal favorite).  lol

More examples......
A character with the Doc ability can treat a "colleague" - not a friendly (teammate).
Stunned can only be played on an enemy - not a teammate.
Misfortune can only be played on an opponent - not a teammate.
Bad Luck can only be played on an enemy/opponent - not a teammate.
Unseen Peril can only be played on an enemy - not a teammate.
You may transfer a Plot Point to a "colleague" - but you can not transfer to a teammate.

Although we see it fairly often, trying to form a team after the start of a scenario is simply a gentlemen's agreement. This sort of thing does not actually change any designations.  ;)

Of course you should always feel free to make adjustments that you think will add to the enjoyment. One thing I've done in the past, is to have players in teams for 3 turns and then end all the teams at the start of turn 4.

You've already run enough of these that you know what you're getting in to, but when I have 6 players around the table I always run everything by-the-book and avoid adding any special rules. When I have 2-3 players, that's when I add in crazy stuff. When I have 6 players, there's already enuff crazy.  lol lol

HAVE FUN

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 02:55:13 AM »
In the 8 player games that I ran in the last month, there were 4 national "sides" with 2 leagues on each side. That game was a bit too big, even though I had two separate decks of 71 cards each and a second GM at the start.

Am thinking about trying a 4 to 6 player Spanish Civil War game using Pulp Alley and Empress figures, sort of a "For Whom the Bell Tolls" action involving a bridge, and perhaps some powerful artifact at a nearby monastery. The factions in the Spanish Civil War were on the same side, but had different politics and objectives. (The factions on the Republican side even fought each other in Barcelona.)
Sailors have more fun!

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 04:56:35 AM »
Great advice, Mr. Phipps, as always.

One thing I've done in the past, is to have players in teams for 3 turns and then end all the teams at the start of turn 4.

Now this sounds particularly interesting.  >:D Especially since in Hidalgo Fire, turn four commences with four 3-inch bursts--incendiary bombs set off by mysterious assassins--being placed. That would certainly arouse suspicion, even among "friends."

In the 8 player games that I ran in the last month, there were 4 national "sides" with 2 leagues on each side.

I like this too...in my case, three warring factions made up of 2 leagues each. Then when the bombs go off, well, all bets are off.  ;D

Decisions, decisions...

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 01:29:41 AM »
Am thinking about trying a 4 to 6 player Spanish Civil War game using Pulp Alley and Empress figures....

Such a cool idea for some Pulp Alley games! I'd love to get some Empress mini, they look GREAT.