Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:19:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sharp Practice 2 AWI - Bigger to the Rescue (new AAR 8 July)  (Read 5302 times)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
We had our first proper run out of the new Sharp Practice rules tonight. Points were relatively equal but a small British force of Regulars under Sir Bernard Haggard was sent against a much larger Colonial force consisting of a force of minutemen under Major Henry Hump and a force of State Line under Colonel Charles Bigger.

The Colonials had a primary and secondary deployment point and the attacking British had but the one primary point. The British deployed first and boldly advanced across the bridge with their main force under Sir Bernard,  while a unit of skirmishes under Sgt Fiddler poked around the river bank on the left flank. A few groups of Rebel skirmishers under the command of Sam Crump pushed through the woods adjacent to the riverbank on their side to counter the British lights. A lucky draw saw the Colonial skirmishers under Sgt Banger appear in front of the advancing British,  who were very near to the Colonial primary deployment point. They used their Command Cards to launch an Ambuscade, causing damaging shock on their opponent.

Later in the game the late Colonel Bigger arrived on the British right flank, courtesy of their secondary dp, causing significant casualties and shock on the British centre. Sir Bernard ordered his line to fire on the Colonial centre twice (using 4 Command Cards)  and obliterated the Colonial centre. Units broke through other groups who then dropped back due to excess shock. It was too late for the British however,  as some excellent firing from the State Line forced them back, in good order though. The Colonials had fled their primary deployment point but the British could not capitalise on it. Sir Bernard will be back!

Cracking game, cracking rules!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:33:18 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: Sharp Practice 2 First (Proper) Game
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 08:03:36 AM »
Nice report and table.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 08:12:27 AM »
Looking good matey  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »
Nice looking game Steve! 8)

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 08:23:08 AM »
Nice AAR - will you be keeping us abreast of Sir Bernard's future attempts a crushing the rebellion?
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 08:37:12 AM »
Rivier crossings are always tough but this one sounded close. 

Thanks for sharing!
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 08:51:57 AM »
Thanks Furt. I volunteered to umpire since I was the only one who had read the rules. Two of the players struggled with some of the rules but the third player (Sir Bernard)  picked them up very quickly and really enjoyed the whole command decision aspect, telling the others at one point that a big part of the game was about choice; does your leader take shock off with his initiatives or does he activate his groups and keep up their fire?

The Command Cards were used at critical points in the game. The Ambuscade launched by the Rebel skirmishers held up the British advance and the deployment of the state line on the flank with Crashing Volley pretty much turned the game.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 09:05:01 AM »
That's what I get for taking so long to put a post together! Thanks guys.

Nice AAR - will you be keeping us abreast of Sir Bernard's future attempts a crushing the rebellion?

The use of the named leaders worked very well with the group. They warmed to Sir Bernard and Colonel Bigger much more readily than Red Leader 1 and Blue Leader 1. Tiffin prevented the Colonel from getting on the table for the first three turns but his appearance was critical. The AWI collection is a friend's and this was the first time he'd ever fielded them. As Sir Bernard withdrew in good order he'll get most of his forces back for the next game, while the Colonial 2IC was less careful with his Militia.

The Colonials were not as fragile as I anticipated and the weight of firepower they could bring couldn't be matched by the smaller British force.

I made the British roll a task for crossing the river and half of Lieutenant Ffing's men eventually found a point to cross while the other half fired volleys across the river.

The players were initially surprised at how far units could move but once they realised the game scale was much closer to 1:1 than normal they appreciated the game's level. I kept pointing out that these were not battalions on the table but companies, etc.

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 01:39:39 PM »
Lovely looking game Steve, really nice terrain and beautiful figures. Glad to hear your chum appreciated the command choices that the game is all about.

Rich

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 02:08:36 PM »
Nicely done Steve.  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
Lovely looking game Steve, really nice terrain and beautiful figures. Glad to hear your chum appreciated the command choices that the game is all about.

Rich

Thanks Rich. Interestingly enough by the end of the game even the guy who couldn't get his head around deployment points (and whose figures they were) said "you know. I think I prefer these rules". I'd call that a successful set of rules. There was a bit of a post game analysis of deployment point location which I thought was a good sign too. I just received some stuff from Warbases and ebay to crack on with mine for the TFL competition.

I'm actually really enthused about playing again. It's got me wanting to get on with painting.

Nicely done Steve.  8)

Cheers Steve. I'd heartily recommended the rules.

Offline Lardy Rich

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
Hi Steve

I know what you mean about painting.  I keep thinking that it's "only another fifty odd figures" and buying new armies. Cape Wars for me next.

Rich

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »
Looks great...there is nothing better then a cool fight for a bridge...;)

DV

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 05:49:52 PM »
Great stuff, looking forward to reading and playing SP2. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 07:56:45 PM »
I've yet to have a fight for a bridge that ends well for me  :)
Great game and nice terrain!