Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:17:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686497
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sharp Practice 2 AWI - Bigger to the Rescue (new AAR 8 July)  (Read 5253 times)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Re: Sharp Practice 2 First (Proper) Game
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 07:03:19 PM »
Great report and good advertisement for SP2.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 07:04:52 PM »
Great report and good advertisement for SP2.

It certainly deserves it, I haven't been as enthused about a rules set for a long time.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »
And now? Is it worth spending time with reading. I think the first edition was very confusing, not good in the structure.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 07:27:25 PM »
It's a great set of rules.  Solidly my favourite for now.

There are a few confusing bits but they have been clarified on the Lardies forum: Lardy Rich answers all the questions pretty quick!

Once you are over that it's great!  There are so many tactical choices and options!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 07:42:02 PM »
And now? Is it worth spending time with reading. I think the first edition was very confusing, not good in the structure.

I never played Sharp Practice 1 but I found the rules fairly ok to pick up and as Rich H says, Rich has clarified most points.

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 09:01:16 PM »
Looking at using the rules for The Hungarian Revolhtion 184o

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2016, 10:06:25 PM »
Nice set-up and report, mate.
 :-* :-*

I may have to check SP2 out so that we can skirmish ACW before we have enough done for bigger battles.
 :)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Sharp Practice 2 AWI - Bigger Steps Forth
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 10:30:47 PM »
AWI report:

Following the retreat of the British under Sir Bernard Haggard at what came to be known as the Battle of Greasy Creek,  Colonel Charles Bigger decided to take the fight to the enemy. He brought his forces to the temporary British camp at Dunghill Farm for what he hoped would be a decisive encounter.

Sir Bernard was at Dunghill Farm reorganising his forces and had sent Lt Ffing off to meet up with Little Heap,  a minor local indian leader who had agreed to help them. Sgt Fiddler provided the picket.

The attacking Colonials had one primary deployment point placed 6" from the road edge they selected. They had the option of coming on from the north east road or the south east road; they chose the north east entry point, apparently due to the increased cover offered by the woodland. This decision was to prove pivotal later on.

The British then placed their primary dp centrally on Dunghill Farm. The British player had already been told that only Sir Bernard could deploy from here.They were then given a second dp to place by the north west road which represented Lieutenant Ffing's entry point and that of his new ally Little Heap. A third dp was then provided for the British that could be placed anywhere within 36" of the western table edge. This was only for the use of Sgt Fiddler and his recently replaced skirmishers. The Colonial player didn't know that the British dps were severely restricted however.

The game commenced with Colonel Bigger leading his 2 groups of State Line off the road and into the woods that covered the eastern edge of the battlefield. They were followed by Tom Banger and his skirmish group. Luckily for the British Sir Bernard was alert and he and his line rushed from the farm and lined the fencing to await whatever was coming through the woods. There was a delay in the Colonial advance as they awaited the rest of their forces (Tiffin card) but finally Major Hump and his remaining Militia marched down the road supported by Sam Crump's 2 groups of skirmishers. Sir Bernard had placed Sgt Fiddler on his right at the edge of an orchard and he now deployed to protect the British flank. There was no sign of Lieutenant Ffing and his men at this point.

The Colonial centre advanced to the edge of the woods and exchanged fire with the British line, though to no great effect on either side. Banger moved his men through the woods to confront Fiddler and Major Hump continued to march his men down the road pushing the skirmishers of Crump out towards the woods on Sir Bernard's left flank. It was at this moment that Little Heap and his men pushed through the very same woods, shortly followed by Lieutenant Ffing and his line who marched through a clearing directly towards Major Hump's Militia.

The defining actions of the game now took place as Banger hesitated against Fiddler on the British right flank only to allow the brave Sgt to seize the moment and charge across the road straight into the Colonial skirmishers. The combat was evenly matched until the Colonials took one too many casualties and withdrew back into the woods. On the British left flank the skirmishers of Crump under the command of Major Hump threw themselves into the woods in front of them only to meet the braves of Little Heap. The Colonials were thrown back across the road carrying the now unconscious Crump. Little Heap had also been wounded and it was up to Sir Bernard to spur his new allies on. The natives viciously counter attacked the Colonial skirmishers causing them to flee back to the safety of their own lines.

Meanwhile Ffing's men who had made a relatively slow progress, firing at long range to harass the advancing Militia, suddenly rushed headlong towards their opponent (random event) allowing their closed column to crash into the Militia,  destroying them to a man despite taking fairly heavy casualties themselves (5 out of 6 Militia dice causing kills). Major Hump himself was captured.

The battle was effectively over with only the Colonial centre holding,  though they had made no progress against the British centre.

Sir Bernard held the field and it was his opponents turn to withdraw.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:50:46 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Re: Sharp Practice 2 AWI - Bigger Steps Forth (new AAR 25 June)
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 08:39:35 AM »
Great stuff!

I've bought the rules myself but obviously that is also all I have managed... I like the size of forces you are using. Should be just the right size for my Texican adventures too.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 07:02:21 PM »
Great stuff!

I've bought the rules myself but obviously that is also all I have managed... I like the size of forces you are using. Should be just the right size for my Texican adventures too.

Cheers mate. We're playing with about 8 groups per side at the moment.  We haven't introduced cavalry or artillery yet though perhaps next time. This game was the first time we had Fisticuffs though and there was a lot of it, four charges in fact. Leaders can make a big difference in melee but only Sir Bernard and Sgt Fiddler remained unscathed as the four other officers involved in Fisticuffs were wounded.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2016, 07:51:21 PM »
Another great AAR and a well done Sir Bernard for seeing off those colonial upstarts!

I trust he will follow up and exploit their withdrawal?

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 08:01:54 PM »
Another great AAR and a well done Sir Bernard for seeing off those colonial upstarts!

I trust he will follow up and exploit their withdrawal?

Thanks. I suspect there will be more to this with Major Hump now a captive. There are rumours that Colonel Bigger is attempting to bring up some artillery to even the score!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2016, 10:32:35 PM »
Bigger to the Rescue

Tonight's game saw Colonel Bigger attempt to release Major Hump from his British captors.

The game started with newly arrived Sgt Boggs guarding the prisoner in a small settlement at a crossroads. The Colonial forces sneaking up on Boggs ' men consisted of Tom Banger and his skirmishers. They immediately fired on Boggs, killing a man. Bigger and his main force entered from the south eastern road (bottom right on the map). The Colonials were incredibly slow however, giving Sir Bernard's men time to deploy. The veteran British sergeant Sgt Fiddler was allowed to deploy from the south with Ffing and Sir Bernard deploying from the northern road (top of map). The combined firepower pushed Banger back to the safety of a stone wall.

A random event saw the Colonial cavalry officer Captain Reckitt fall from his horse shortly after deploying, landing in a big pile of shit (reducing him to zero status). He stopped at the nearby pond and spent some time cleaning up (reinstating his status). Crump took over Hump's Militia and attempted to file past the pond and through some woods, taking most of the game to do so.

The Rebel cavalry charged at the canter at Boggs' men holding the house with Hump (there was a LOT of discussion on movement of cavalry).  Boggs stood his ground loosing several volleys into the cavalry and defended their fenceline well but were ultimately wiped out (though Boggs escaped).  Reckitt's men were shattered too though and withdraw with an unconscious Reckitt in tow. They left the field.

Bigger advanced his men across the fields but was stuck in column due to space and could not bring his superior numbers to bear.

The game ended with the British firmly lodged in the settlement and Bigger's Colonials hesitant to press forward.

In hindsight I should perhaps have reduced the number of groups available to the British or increased the troops in the advance party.

The map was drawn with a finger on a mobile to help with set up.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:36:52 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Sharp Practice 2 AWI - Bigger to the Rescue (new AAR 8 July)
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2016, 02:14:08 PM »
Great looking game, mate.
Sounds like you had some fun with it too.
 8) 8)

Could SP2 be the answer for our early ACW games (before we get enough figures finished to get a proper battle in, I mean)..?

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Sharp Practice 2 AWI - Bigger to the Rescue (new AAR 8 July)
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2016, 02:39:12 PM »
Great looking game, mate.
Sounds like you had some fun with it too.
 8) 8)

Could SP2 be the answer for our early ACW games (before we get enough figures finished to get a proper battle in, I mean)..?

I'm sure it would. You only need a few dozen figures per side. We've played quite comfortably with 80+ per side too.