Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:40:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A bad time to sell painted minis?  (Read 6466 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
A bad time to sell painted minis?
« on: June 11, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »
Can seem to sell my figures1 as well as I usually do… Now, I’m wondering what the problem might be. Bad painting? Bad pictures? Maybe they’re too expensive? Does other have a hard time selling their painted minis too? ;D

1 http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=88545.0#top
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: A bad time to sell painted minis?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »
I often find it depends on the period or manufacturer, you also have kickstarters a plenty at the moment which diverts cash buyers. I suspect with sharp practice 2 out the big seller will be napoleonics as a trend with other black powder games followed by colonials. Its a fickle hobby sometimes😃

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 09:12:11 PM »
Just glancing at your thread, you have a very peculiar way of painting.  I think that would really hinder the sales.  Your style and paint method are very different from most of what I see, and I think people would hesitate to buy stuff if it doesn't fit in with their painted units.

That being said, I struggle to sell painted stuff on ebay too.  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 10:16:47 PM »
Maybe it's also location?
Europeans can get hit by import duties on top of postage, so that would impact on the price.
I don't bother looking at anything from over the pond because I've been hit for import tax before. I know some people get away with it, but I won't even look at kickstarters that are intercontinental for the same reason.

I don't see anything wrong with the painting. It's individual, but all paintwork is. It wouldn't match anything I've got purely because I don't have anything else on those lines.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 02:55:32 AM »
Exchange rate, postage cost and different focus ATM.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 02:52:20 PM »
I have actually looked at some of your stuff a few times and have no problem with your painting style, in fact I quite like your camel riders. But for me the problem is exchange rate, shipping charges, customs charges and the extra £8 Royal Mail charges to collect the customs duty!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 03:29:20 PM »
It's a common complaint that painted mins seem to be difficult to shift. A lot of buyers (not all) prefer to paint their own mins, so unless it's a crazy high standard of painting (even that doesn't guarantee anything), they're thinking about having to strip everything down before repainting it themselves.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 04:18:17 PM »
They look nice and clean but if they were mine I would consider them about halfway finished.  Maybe try some washes and hi-lights?  They're a bit shiny in the pictures too.  I'm certainly no expert though!:)

Good luck!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 05:02:29 PM »
I buy a lot of minis from Calimero, who is the fastest and nicest painter I know.  His style is different, but it has a real clean and vibrant quality to it.  Based on how much he charges I think they are a steal.  He painted all of my 15mm sci fi miniatures.

Maybe some more terrain in the background?  I painted some fishmen, and although the paint was lousy, they looked good in front of the terrain.

Deep Ones by oldben1, on Flickr

By the way, here is some of Calimero's work:

photo (2) by oldben1, on Flickr

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:15:44 PM by Oldben1 »

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 05:26:09 PM »
It's always a bit slow in the summer, holidays are expensive.

Your painting is clean and precise but as gary42 said some shading/highlighting would add a bit of depth, maybe a thinned coat of army painter quickshade?
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 10:55:05 PM »
Its a fickle hobby sometimes :)

That’s true!  lol

I suspect with sharp practice 2 out the big seller will be napoleonics as a trend with other black powder games...

I have French WSS Cavalry and AWI Infantry in the painting queue… all individually based… maybe they’ll sell better ;)

you have a very peculiar way of painting.  I think that would really hinder the sales

Interesting point. I’m not really keen on shading and highlight. If I do them they tend to be quite subtle and not much visible on pictures.

Maybe it's also location?

I also advertised them on TMP which, I think, have a good base of North American members. Figures there always sell well and fast… but not this time.

I have actually looked at some of your stuff a few times and have no problem with your painting style, in fact I quite like your camel riders. But for me the problem is exchange rate, shipping charges, customs charges and the extra £8 Royal Mail charges to collect the customs duty!

Thanks, Sunjester. Shipping far away might be a problem indeed. We sometimes have custom fees in Canada too but not always… Packages that have greater declared values or are simply heavier than ordinary seems to attract more attentions >:(

they're thinking about having to strip everything down before repainting it themselves.

As I said earlier, the figures I paint usually sell fast and well. I don’t think any of them were bought to be stripped down… There are (there were) a lot of people interested in painted minis that might not be of the highest standard but hare affordable and "ready to play". But maybe the market is saturated now?

I would consider them about halfway finished.  Maybe try some washes and hi-lights?  They're a bit shiny in the pictures too.

This is a problem I have lately. I own Army Painter anti-shine varnish both in spray and brush-on version but they don’t cover the shiny paint as well as they use to do… maybe it’s a bad batch. But this is a problem. The figures on sale now aren’t as shinny as they look in the pictures but still too much for my taste.

His style is different, but it has a real clean and vibrant quality to it.  Based on how much he charges I think they are a steal

Thanks Oldben1, The pictures you take of the figures I painted are better than mine! I think they better showed the kind of painting I do…whether this is a good thing or bad ;) 

It's always a bit slow in the summer

Your painting is clean and precise but as gary42 said some shading/highlighting would add a bit of depth, maybe a thinned coat of army painter quickshade?

That may be the answer. It might simply be a bit slow, as you said.

Regarding shadings and highlights, I’m not sure I really like them. Maybe it’s because I don’t master the technique. The figures you paint look great, really great but some people using the "3 layers technique" produce figures that may look good on pictures and, probably at some distance, but look terribly "dirty" and "botched" when you see them up-close.

I’ve dig a bunch of 20mm WWII SBS figures out of the lead pile. I promise I’ll try to paint them and give them a coat of Minwax "wash"… I’ll see if they look better that way compare to my regular painting style ;D

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 10:56:15 PM »
The way I paint is more suited for some kind of figures (or even figures’ themes, so to speak) and suits better some manufacturers like Pulp Figures, Crusader, Dixon and Front Rank. It work less well with figures with more small details like the Perry’s or Paul Hicks’ sculpts. It also works less well on some figures that are missing some details like Old Glory and some Reaper Bones human type…

BTW you can see more pictures of the figures I’ve done in the past here;
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=41668.0

I also have some pictures in the Gallery section of LAF;
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=132;u=1642;start=0

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 01:18:14 AM »
I'd have to agree with most of the folks regarding the figure painting.  It's very cleanly done and nicely detailed, but it's mostly the block color "toy soldier" style. That style has it's fans, but most wargamers today consider a wash and highlight (even if just a drybrush) to be a standard part of figure painting.

I think that if nothing else a light "dip" or Brush-dip of Army painter quickshade or Minwax Polyshades is necessary, at least for the figures in fatigues and darker colors.  Here's how I brush-dip my figures. http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2012/01/with-liberty-and-brush-dipping-for-all.html

If you're having trouble cutting the shine on figures, I recommend brushing on a coat or two of Winsor Newton Galleria Matte Varnish.  I've had mixed results with spray on matte varnishes, but Winsor Newton is quick and always comes through for me.

Good luck with your business whatever path you decide to take.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 02:02:49 AM »
It never hurts to work on your craft, you're not the first painter I've heard who is having trouble selling miniatures.  Like I said before, one of the reasons I use you as a painter is your customer service and your prices.  Miniatures are like art, it's always nice to see different interpretations of the same mini.

If you ever need terrain to use for your photography, let me know.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 02:30:25 AM »
I like your work. Being a fellow Canadian helps (shipping costs, $ conversion etc).

What has stopped me from purchasing is:

Timeframe - now (like many others) is just not the right time.
The picture quality...either appear too glossy or the colours look off...your "yellow" French Foreign Legion for example  :)
There's nothing that suits my needs.

There have been many times where I've looked at your work, wanting to buy and the items are pending sales or just recently sold.

It is a fickle market. Maybe you are supplying items that aren't in demand this month? Perhaps painting miniatures for the next "bandwagon" game.  Ie. It seems everyone (except me) is playing Frostgrave...so paint some medievals, or skeletons...? Or 1 or 2 point sets for SAGA.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...