Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:46:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A "White Budenovka" and Other Interesting Finds  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
A "White Budenovka" and Other Interesting Finds
« on: June 13, 2016, 10:50:15 PM »
So I'm a follower of a certain Facebook page called "Белое Дело / White Cause," as they are a good resource of interesting photographs and information regarding the RCW.

Now imagine my surprise when I opened my notifications today and saw this...fascinating uniform staring back at me.

Now, of course both are modern 'reproductions,' though I cannot identify the museum and the post the photos were attached to wasn't helpful on the issue either.

If I had to guess, someone must have heard the folk tale of the Red Army's late war uniform actually being unissued Tsarist parade uniforms seized from warehouses, and decided to bring that idea to life. Whether or not that story is presented as truth I don't know, but it certainly makes for an interesting image!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:52:26 PM by Ataman »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
Re: A "White Budenovka" and Other Interesting Finds
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 04:19:23 AM »
This, of course, a silly fantasy. But there are some grounds for it.
One of immigrant merchant claimed in his memoirs (if I'm not mistaken - in the 30s), that this uniform was created in 1914 for the victory parade in Berlin. No confirmation of this version does not.

But we know that in the competition for new Soviet uniforms - participate famous Russian artists. Among them - V. Vasnetsov and B. Kustodiev. And the basis for uniform largely laid sketches costumes created Vasnetsov before, for the celebration of the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty.

By the way, I know of a case when the White Army wear new Soviet uniforms.

October 31, 1920 the detachment Lieutenant General Trusov (3rd Russian army, Soviet-Polish front) - were ordered: "... equestrian Cossacks to unite in consolidated hundreds and all sew on to the left sleeve outerwear cross of white tape width one  a half inches. Immediately arose a winged word "Crusaders." (This step was due to the fact that in the Ural regiment gone over entirely from the Reds, many wore "Budenovka" and it was difficult to distinguish between who they are: white or red) ... ".

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 05:31:42 AM »
By the way, I know of a case when the White Army wear new Soviet uniforms.

October 31, 1920 the detachment Lieutenant General Trusov (3rd Russian army, Soviet-Polish front) - were ordered: "... equestrian Cossacks to unite in consolidated hundreds and all sew on to the left sleeve outerwear cross of white tape width one  a half inches. Immediately arose a winged word "Crusaders." (This step was due to the fact that in the Ural regiment gone over entirely from the Reds, many wore "Budenovka" and it was difficult to distinguish between who they are: white or red) ... ".

Wow, I knew some Red units crossed over to the Poles during the war, but the thought of Whites wearing budenovkas has always seemed surreal. Thank you for the interesting information!

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 10:40:51 AM »
Fascinating but it must not be allowed on the wargames table - it is how I tell the difference between my Reds and Whites!  ;)
Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale