Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686636
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry plastic HYW & WOTR comparison needed  (Read 7620 times)

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Perry plastic HYW & WOTR comparison needed
« on: June 17, 2016, 08:06:04 PM »
Ho guys, I wanted to buy the Agincourt French Infantry and kitbash it with the WOTR plastic boxes, but a friend told me the scale is very different, the HYW being larger. Has anybody got a comparison shot? Thank you.
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Perry plastic HYW & WOTR comparison needed
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 08:30:08 PM »
The following link shows a picture with bodies from both wotr and hyw plastic kits. Figures 2 and 4 are from the hyw English kit while the others are wotr.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=perry+wotr+hundred+years+war&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvrP668a_NAhXKIcAKHS9MA-QQ_AUICCgB&biw=375&bih=559&dpr=2#hl=en-gb&tbm=isch&q=perry+wotr+hundred+years+war+comparison&imgrc=yx6belp75ZDujM%3A

I've noticed that the bodies on the hyw kit are marginally taller than the wotr kit, probably as a result of them being the work of different brothers within the Perry duo. Not enough to worry me, as in the real world we all have different measurements :)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:37:38 PM »
I'm afraid I don't have a scale shot myself, but I can give you my experience on this very subject.

I bought both the French and English HYW kits to kitbash with my large WOTR collection.

They are indeed at a bigger scale. There are several other things different about them. This is what I found...

1 - They are taller. It's very clear when you put them side by side. Of course not everyone is the same height, and mixing some of the taller HYW models into a WOTR unit should look fine. The height difference is less noticeable, if at all, on some of the French bodies which are in leaning forward poses. On others, it is more obvious.

2 - They are both rather different in sculpting style. I believe Michael Perry did the WOTR ones, and Alan Perry the HYW ones (may be wrong though). The HYW have finer detail to my eye, and are probably technically better sculpts.

3 - The HYW may be technically better, but I find are less useful for kitbashing. The 5 WOTR boxes are brilliant for mixing parts and such... The HYW sets, in my experience, are just great as they are 'off the shelf'.

4 - The two ranges have different head joins. The WOTR use a ball-and-socket, the HYW ones have a flat join. Also, most of the HYW ones have hoods or mail coifs. There are ways around it, but mixing heads from the two sets isn't always that easy (there area some combos which work easily though). Also, the knights from both the English and French HYW sets come with the heads already on the bodies (and can't be cut off without messing up the mail aventails).

5 - Arms from both sets switch across VERY easily. I have found the WOTR shouldered pike arms (converted to halberds and bills) look great on the HYW french bodies. And I have used loads of the HYW arms on my WOTR bodies. For the two-handed weapon arms, you may need to do some minor cutting and filling to make them fit perfectly flush, but nothing too tricky.

6 - The longbows from both sets are noticeably different in size. If you are used to the WOTR ones, you will find the HYW english longbows MUCH longer. I've actually used some of the HYW longbow arms, but with bow hands cut off and replaced by the WOTR bow hands, to give me both some new variety in arms yet keeping the bow lengths consistent.

So, yes the scale is slightly different, and it may well be a bit of a problem if you are finicky about that sort of thing like I am. If you are thinking of getting some of the HYW boxes to spice up your WOTR builds, you may at first find there won't be as many things you can do as you first thought. However it's well worth buying a sprue or two (ebay is your friend) of both the french and english infantry sets, and both french and english knights, to get a number of bits and pieces.... Spear arms, 2-handed axes, other armoured knight arms, alternative crossbows and quivers, swords, bucklers, some heads, a few bodies that will work....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:39:46 PM by Charlie_ »

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 12:58:20 AM »
I agree with everything said so far. One thing I noticed after buying some of the metal models is that the plastic lines are in scale with the metal, which predates the plastics. Perhaps the WotR metals were done earlier, or were sculpted to be in scale with their Foundry sculpts.

I plan to use the height difference to my advantage and use the HYW figs for my northerners for GoT. I imagine them being taller for some reason, but that could just be Sean Bean majestic presence and his massive fur cloak!  :)

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 05:34:45 AM »
Thank you gentlemen, that's what I needed. I think I will buy them all :)

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 07:34:21 AM »
I don't know if it was just me - but based on building a few archers from the HYW English box - the HYW figures are a bit more fiddly to get a good looking joint? The WotR boxes seemed pretty forgiving in comparison.

But the HYW figures are lovely - slightly taller and slimmer than their WotR counterparts but would fit in physically without problem.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 10:09:54 AM »
I agree with the other comments.

The WOTR figures are very flexible and you can very easily mix and match all parts between the five different boxes.
They are a delight to build and convert.

The HYW boxes can also be mixed and matched but you tend to be limited to arm swaps.
 The French infantry all have chainmail coifs and collars and the English infantry bodies all have cloth hoods.
This tends to mean that you must use English heads on English bodies and French heads on French bodies.
This English army is mostly plastic.  The French are mostly metal.

The plastic French infantry will be used as wagon defenders (Battle of the Herrings and as Hussites)

I like both ranges but the WOTR are fun to build and I have ended up buying multiple boxes.

Mick
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 10:14:30 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »
Thank you gentlemen, that's what I needed. I think I will buy them all :)

Good decision  ;)

It's true the HYW plastics are a whisker taller, but I have used the HYW and WOTR sets interchangeably in kitbashing, and I'd defy anyone to really be able to tell the difference in the finished figures  :)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 06:59:25 PM »
I've been mixing Fireforge, Frostgrave, both eras of Perry, and Warlord Vikings over the last few weeks as I build my Starks and really the biggest issue with mixing pieces is the different type of head joins, some are ball-and-socket, while some are flat at the bottom and require a "neck" of some spare plastic touched up with greenstuff to make the join. The height difference is there, but it's not crazy enough to prevent mixing them in units, to me at least.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »
I would second the above . You can happily mix the Perry ranges and the frostgrave, fireforge figures would fit also
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 09:16:46 AM »
Buy them all and kitbash like crazy is truly the way to go.