Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:28:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Skin tones and warpaint for Flint and Feather?  (Read 4669 times)

Offline WallShadow

• Bookworm
  • ...leaving a lasting impression
Skin tones and warpaint for Flint and Feather?
« on: June 19, 2016, 06:01:30 PM »
I have the bug for Eastern Woodlands Indian gaming (thanks Howard Whitehouse, for _another_ gaming addiction).  I need some practical hints and clues for getting a decent and believable fleshtone plus warpaint on my yet-to-be purchased warband. 
Base colors?
Shadows and highlights?
Help????
Ok, tell me just one more time: _Where_ am i going, and _Why_  am I in this handbasket?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Skin tones and warpaint for Flint and Feather?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 06:39:46 PM »
I'm sure we've had this topic at least a couple of times before, attracting a range of helpful answers and suggested paint recipes... Did you try doing a search? :)

Offline WallShadow

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 08:12:57 PM »
I'm sure we've had this topic at least a couple of times before, attracting a range of helpful answers and suggested paint recipes... Did you try doing a search? :)
Harumph, Harrumph!  How _dare_ you ask me such an obviously intelligent, reasonable,  and sensible question?!?!?!
The _nerve_!  muttermuttergrumbleblushblushgrumblemutter....

OK, FAQs and Search, ahoy!

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:15:06 PM »
I'm going to mention this because I doubt that it will show up in old searches:   Bob has a very good paint guide available on the Flnt and Feather section of his Pulp miniatures site and I think it's available on the crucible crush site too.  Uses a couple of the privateer paints and some "Liquitex" washes.  I couldn't track down his washes but I got the paint and used some Agrax Earthshade and Reiklander Flesh washes as a substitute and it turned out pretty well.   The paint guide also has some notes about tattoos and warpaint.

~ Ax

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 10:28:40 PM »
If you're using warpaint on them, you might want to research the tribe you want to use.

For example, Cherokee, almost exclusively, used red for warpaint options as it signified that they were willing to die (You come into the world covered in blood, you leave the world covered in blood...). Others used black or other colors.

Offline WallShadow

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 04:52:26 AM »
If you're using warpaint on them, you might want to research the tribe you want to use.
For example, Cherokee, almost exclusively, used red for warpaint options as it signified that they were willing to die (You come into the world covered in blood, you leave the world covered in blood...). Others used black or other colors.
Mine will be Susquehannock/Mingo and or Delaware/Lenni Lenape; maybe one of the Haudenosaunee nations.  It's going to be fun trying to paint a handprint on some of the more experienced warriors.

Offline Mitchelxen

• Scientist
  • Student of Time, Space & Cake
    • Crucible Crush
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 12:35:25 PM »
The official  ??? paint guide for Flint and Feather prepared by Bob Murch himself is available here http://pulpfigures.com/files/PaintingFlintFeatherMiniatures.Illustrated..pdf

" width="450" height="75" border="0

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 03:49:00 AM »
When I was painting Indians for the French and Indian War, I found Robert Griffing's paintings helpful. I put together an album of his work here back in 2013:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92083398@N08/albums/72157632476820676

Hopefully it will be some help, even though it's from a later period. The basic materials used for paint certainly had not changed over time.

You can also google the work of some other artists of the period: John Buxton, David Wright, Pamela Patrick White, Doug Hall, Todd Price. If you're ever in Gettysburg PA stop into Lord Nelson's Gallery for more inspiration.

One thing of note viewing Griffing's work is his depiction of turkey feathers used as ornamentation. Use a variety of feather types for your warriors, not just the iconic white-with-black-tip bald eagle feathers. Turkeys, hawks, owls, crows...all were used in addition to the eagle.

I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden