Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:51:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Clarification - Holy Book "dispel"  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
Clarification - Holy Book "dispel"
« on: June 20, 2016, 04:01:59 AM »
I have been playing the Holy Book's "dispel" ablity as what I see as a 'dispel'.

The word is not defined in the rules.  I assumed it meant, gone.  Off-table.  Adios.

It did not occur to me until just now, perhaps that is not the case.  Could "dispel" be the same as banishment?  I.E. from Rock Salt ammo?  I would think not, as the holy book is a one use, specific item...

But, I thought I would ask any...

What does "dispel" mean in context of p32 and the Holy Book:

Quote from: p32 "Holy Book"
Bible, Koran, Torah: a holy text can be a powerful weapon against evil in the hands of a true believer. As an action, a model with a Holy Book may dispel all Ghosts within a 5” radius and force a Resolve test on all Daemons in the same range. Daemons that fail this test roll on the Insanity Table at a -2 modifier. Usable once
per game.
Scott Clinton
(aka The Grumbling Grognard)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: Clarification - Holy Book "dispel"
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 02:58:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure you're correct - the Holy Book functions as a 5" radius ghost detergent that also puts the wind up daemons - once per game (so I don't think it disappears from your inventory, it just needs 're-charging').

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »
Ah, I was not worried it "disappeared".  I would hope not.  Your points carry over so they would ge quite expensive after a use or two.   ;)

My question was: Does "Dispel" = "Banishment" in the rules?  If not, is "Dispel" simply a "removal as major/minor injury" as I have been gaming (and major/minor makes no dif for a lurker ghost).

Scott

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 06:07:35 PM »
Good question Scott.  I am approaching a scenario in my SOB campaign in which the correct interpretation of this is important.

Lembit :)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 06:25:08 PM »
So 'Dispel' is a special kind of Action a model can take if it has a Holy Book.

I ran a search of the Strange Aeons 2 .pdf with the keyword "dispel", and in addition to the description of the Holy Book, the following comes up:

In the 'Special' definition for Ghost: "When dispelled, Ghosts are removed from play."

Also related is the 'Grave-Bound' status for a variety of ghosts and the 'Possessor' ability of the Mojo.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 08:10:04 AM »
So 'Dispel' is a special kind of Action a model can take if it has a Holy Book.

I ran a search of the Strange Aeons 2 .pdf with the keyword "dispel", and in addition to the description of the Holy Book, the following comes up:

In the 'Special' definition for Ghost: "When dispelled, Ghosts are removed from play."

Also related is the 'Grave-Bound' status for a variety of ghosts and the 'Possessor' ability of the Mojo.

Exactly!  I think so, but just wanted feedback.

Scott