Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:48:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690928
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Table Size for quick games for a campaign day  (Read 1611 times)

Offline BrentS

• Student
Table Size for quick games for a campaign day
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »
Hi all - I'm thinking about setting up a campaign day at a local convention and wanted to think about ways to get as many different games in as possible using the standard campaign rules.   Has anyone had any experience playing games on a 2x2 table (as opposed to 3x3).  I was thinking about using a smaller gaming surface and having all warbands start "off" the board to start.  I was still debating whether or not it should be 3, 4, or 5 treasure markers as well.   My goal was to try and keep games to be about 60-75 minutes max and allow 15 minutes between games to roll up campaign results. 

Any thoughts?

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Re: Table Size for quick games for a campaign day
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 09:30:34 PM »
When I've played my SteppeGrave campaing I've used 2x2 board (59cmx79cm to be precise) and it worked really well.
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Like_Clockwork

• Bookworm
  • "The only way to meet your equal, is to become it"
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:48:36 PM »
I personally have always used generic mats with D&D/Pathfinder, as they tend to be the perfect size, and they have square inch spaces for easy reference of movement. We obviously don't restrict ourselves TO the spaces, as Frostgrave is not intended to play on spaces, but I like to use it for strategic reference. Makes the battlefield like a chess board. There are plenty of these mats that are 2x3 feet long, and don't have any terrain on it so that you may use any ruins. When I play on this, it tends to be roughly an hour and a half, but that is because I like to chat with my opponent. Have fun!

Thank you,
Like Clockwork
I do hope you enjoyed reading whatever it is I have typed, I likely put some thought into it, and appreciate when others look into my brain and go, "Huh, okay"

Offline BrentS

• Student
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »
Has anyone else tried playing games on a 2x2 playing surface?  I'm curious to hear others opinions.

Offline Roger

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 09:59:30 PM »
We play on a 3' x 3' table, but almost guarenteed the first move is move 6" ,so you're already down to being only 2' apart.
I would imagine for a quick game 2' would work quite well .
You might want to have terrain all the way to the edge .
If you're looking to mix it up a little I'd have 5 treasures total ,have the players place 2 each a minimum of 9" from the edge and 6" from the sides and 1 in the middle as a double roll treasure.
it'll stop the grab it and run tactic.

Roger
You know its a good day when, you wake up and your elbows dont hit wood :)

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 11:38:09 PM »
I have played a few games on 2'x2', crowded terrain becomes your friend really quickly. But the games go quick, and combat happens more often than you might expect.
Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 07:33:46 PM »
I backed the Battle Systems 3D terrain Kickstarter a while back and that came with 2x2 dungeon mats with 1" grids (it looked like stone slabs, all very cool). When I used it for the library scenario I used just the one mat but the terrain makes multiple levels very easy. Worked great! Here is picture from the website to show what I mean, apologies I will take my own pics of our set up next time!

I should also mention the KS pledge level I got came with loads of book cases and other useful scenary for that scenario!
Follow more witterings on Twitter: @CthulhuPunk