Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:24:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690456
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Super cheap VOTOMS and its gone again.  (Read 19489 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Super cheap VOTOMS and its gone again.
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2016, 09:53:35 AM »
Actually, I'm not too convinced by the original battltech rules either. They're very detailed but incredibly cumbersome and a skirmish between 2 lances can take an entire afternoon to play out (at least; for me, and my hamfisted grasp of rules in general ::) ).

I've been eyeing Mech Attack for this purpose though, so might as well give it a whirl.

One thing I would like to keep in one form or the other is the damage locations on mechs and heat management. That's what really makes a Battletech game for me, especially since those factors are so important in all the fluff as well.

I have this crazy plan to use the legs and lower torso of that particular Votom as the basis for an Urbanmech; it just needs the R2-like domed head and rotund torso (plus a stonking big cannon of course).

And I think the size is perfect to work as the basis for several other light or medium designs too.

If you are willing to part with one or two, I'd be happy to take them off your hands... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2016, 10:25:58 AM »
You should know I've always had a particular dislike for that design.  lol I'll need to dig up my bots first and check how many I ordered in the end again.

Mech attack has always looked interesting to me, but I'm not sure either if its exactly the right amount of simplification or that that its too simple in the end. A while ago I spend a decent amount of time working on 15mm mecha rules based on pulp alley dice mechanics, I might try and finish those up for once.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2016, 10:51:58 AM »
You should know I've always had a particular dislike for that design.  lol I'll need to dig up my bots first and check how many I ordered in the end again.

Yeah; the 'Urbie' doesn't do it for most people. But I figured; if I can fit in two Locusts, an Urbanmech should be within the realm of possibilites too. lol

It's not the greatest design, but it does add variety to an already ecclectic range of mechs. Originally, I found this guy doing mechs in resin from his garage and he had one that looked very much like an urbanmech, although the scale was off. I contacted him, and he was willing to cast one up for me, but communication just petered off from there and I never got mine.

It must have lingered in my head though, because I'm still looking to add an Urbanmech to my line-up. ::)

Mech attack has always looked interesting to me, but I'm not sure either if its exactly the right amount of simplification or that that its too simple in the end. A while ago I spend a decent amount of time working on 15mm mecha rules based on pulp alley dice mechanics, I might try and finish those up for once.

Indeed; I would still like to be able to allocate hits to locations; shooting weapons, armor or limbs off, whilst having to keep a keen eye on the heat generated by  my own mech. But in a much simpler package than the original rules. And combined arms would be nice too; tanks, hovercraft, infantry, helicopters and even Aerospace fighters... :D

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2016, 04:01:54 PM »
Indeed; I would still like to be able to allocate hits to locations; shooting weapons, armor or limbs off, whilst having to keep a keen eye on the heat generated by  my own mech. But in a much simpler package than the original rules. And combined arms would be nice too; tanks, hovercraft, infantry, helicopters and even Aerospace fighters... :D

I think you guys might really like mech attack.  It has a solid heat mechanic (simplified of course) where you can push your heat to do more, but you run the risk of side effects like weapon or engine shutdown, or worse. As for scale it's 15mm, though we use it in 10mm with no modifications.

As for damage, it uses a damage grid instead of individual locations, but somehow it has a similar feel while being alot faster in play.  The different "shapes" of damage really add to the game.  A laser cuts deep, a missile affects a wider area, etc.  You don't track individual locations, but rather when one column of damage goes all the way down you roll for crits which often will blow off an arm, destroy a torso weapon or damage your engine, etc...

Combined arms rules are included (vehicles and infantry).  Beta aircraft rules have been released on the forum, but probably won't be for sale until a new edition is released.  I'm looking forward to this because I've got a good number of MW clix aircraft and recently bought a bunch of Dust VOTL's to incorporate into my 28mm games also.

The one BT'ish thing it is really missing is jump jets though there have been some good suggestions made on their forums for incorporating them.  However, the Build-Point based construction is fast and makes it easy to invent your own gear and incorporate it into your designs.

All this to say I highly recommend it.  We've been using it in 10mm and 28mm (with double ranges) for about 5 years now and it continues to be enjoyable.  The cost-to-fun ratio for us has been right up there with Song of Blades.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2016, 05:26:41 PM »
...  A while ago I spend a decent amount of time working on 15mm mecha rules based on pulp alley dice mechanics, I might try and finish those up for once.

That sounds like a lot of fun! We've played a bunch of Pulp Alley scenarios with armored walkers.  ;)