Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:51:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Renaissance - a question of scale  (Read 1512 times)

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Renaissance - a question of scale
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:16:12 PM »
I now rate this place as the best forum available to ask opinions and questions from what I think is a great collection of people - the patience, humour and tolerance I've seen throughout this forum is indeed truly impressive and most refreshing  :)

So, with some thoughts about beginning a new wargaming project for Autumn onwards, I wanted to satisfy a long-held interest in the Italian Wars (Condotta and onwards to French involvement and sixteenth century) but I'm torn on the scale to use - and I'd really appreciate others hints and tips, ideas and reasons for their preference.

And from the beginning, I'll state that I have ruled out 25/28mm. Why? Firstly, I already have way too much other stuff - genres and historical periods - in this scale already. Secondly, I want to deliberately aim for quantity on the tabletop, so that if the norm would be 12 figures in a unit in 28mm, I'd aim for 24 figures in a lesser scale, or maybe even more.

But what scale?
Should I revert down a step or two and go with 15mm?
Or what about 10mm?
Or even smaller to 6mm?

Honestly, would love to hear what others think and recommend.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Renaissance - a question of scale
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:18:59 PM »
Although I love to paint 28mm the 15mm stuff being produced these days is quite amazing. If you want to get large forces on the table fast then I would say go small- 10mm or 15mm. I haven't come around to 6mm; just too tiny for me to paint.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:26:36 PM »
Do you want to play at "unit" level, (so that you are responsible for arranging troops in battle formations and changing deployments) or do you just want to base up the troops in a formation and make assumptions that the local commanders are arranging them appropriately?

If the former then I would suggest 15mm as the larger figures are easier and more damage resistant to manipulate.  If the latter then go with 6mm using 15mm base sizes and distances.
6mm figures are wonderful but with repeated handling of smaller bases you are going to end up with a lot of bent weapons (bane of my life with my 6mm ECW). Unless you are happy to replace every pike and lance with steel wire.

I do Italian Wars through to the Wars of Religion in 15mm having started my collection around 35 years ago and have too many to change now. But if I were starting fresh now I would go with 6mm.
Rules like Impetus/Baroque and the Liber Militum Tercios which allow you to model full historic formations on single bases are a wonderful development for this era

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 03:28:30 PM »
I've tried 6, 10, and 15; 10mm have won my heart. You can use lots, they're big enough for details, they're light and easy to store, and they're affordable.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »
My belated thanks to those who replied, your comments were much appreciated.

I can see the attraction of 15mm and see there's several ranges available. But for 10mm I know Pendraken have some suitable figures, but I've not seen much else?

I do like the idea of mass and cheapness, but who else does 10mm Renaissance?

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:37:36 AM »
There are some useable 10mm figures in the Irregular Miniatures ranges, though they're a bit pricier and not always in the ideal pose. I've mainly stuck to Pendraken. Note that their extensive medieval range includes lots that work in the Italian Wars, especially their new Flodden range. The one nuisance is the lack of a genitor, but the dark ages Irish horseman just needs a shield (I made mine from lentils!). Although they make a serviceable Landsknecht arquebusier with shouldered weapon, I've converted mine from Bashi-Bazooks in one of their later ranges.
Some new company has recently been making quite a to-do about a Landsknecht kickstarter project.
Join the Pendraken forum; many helpful and pleasant people there (and a few who get the lower end of the alimentary canal a bad name, of course).