Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:42:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Phalangites...  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Victrix Phalangites...
« on: June 21, 2016, 04:54:43 PM »

I just got the newsletter from Victrix advertising their new ancient sets, Macedonians...

I am the only one that is surprised to see them practically with a single pose and no customization? They are cheap(ish) at 19.95 per 27 figures, but well they are more or less all in the same pose. Three line bodies (very similar), and three command bodies, (the newsletter had a shot of the sprues).

Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
Re: Victrix Phalangites...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 06:36:48 PM »
Hi Arrigo, I have over 900 phalangites, and they are all in that same pose, so I wouldn't criticise.  ;-)  I always think that lowered pikes look absolutely brilliant but are challenging to store and use on the table.  Maybe if there is demand they will do an "active" set.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 07:22:09 PM »
I am not saying it is bad... and they explained why they did that way, but I was surprised by this large departure from their usual approach. Said that I envision getting some, at some points... (I need first to finish the Foundry, Warlord, and Magister Militum I have at home, plus on the phalanx list the Aventine are higher!).

Offline Mithridates1

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 10:46:52 PM »
The advice from Victrix was most useful - with a handy background historical summary and sprue shots.

My first phalangites were Minifigs with lowered pikes.   They have a very deep base and do not often seen the wargames table!   Happy to have upright pikes as they are practical to use.   That said Aventine has advancing pikemen and Warlord makes a variety of poses.  What might be good is a 'dynamic' pose with the figure using a broken pike and his 'lizard killer'.

Shame Victrix are in batches of 24, with 32 man pike phalanxes need several boxes to build units.  Be sensible to club together and buy at least 4.

Simon, I think 900 phalangites pose a health risk, perhaps medical advice is called for.............Even counting my unpainted lead pile I have only 384.

Looking forward to Victrix's Spanish cavalry.

Garry

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 04:45:30 PM »
The advice from Victrix was most useful - with a handy background historical summary and sprue shots.

My first phalangites were Minifigs with lowered pikes.   They have a very deep base and do not often seen the wargames table!   Happy to have upright pikes as they are practical to use.   That said Aventine has advancing pikemen and Warlord makes a variety of poses.  What might be good is a 'dynamic' pose with the figure using a broken pike and his 'lizard killer'.

Shame Victrix are in batches of 24, with 32 man pike phalanxes need several boxes to build units.  Be sensible to club together and buy at least 4.

Simon, I think 900 phalangites pose a health risk, perhaps medical advice is called for.............Even counting my unpainted lead pile I have only 384.

Looking forward to Victrix's Spanish cavalry.

Garry

I agree with Mithridates about Victrix, 32 would have been great. However the models do look good indeed and it's an excuse to buy different sets and mix them.

Personally the only thing I would have changed from the Victrix Macedonians are the shield transfers - mind you they're high quality, but the designs are a bit too similar in colour & design - I would have chosen a few from sheet 10 (the yellow background one, and two with light blue backgrounds for example) to have more colour variety instead of sheets 1-4, which are very limited and repetitive. In contrast the other sheets, especially 14 and the silver and gold ones are extremely cool!

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 12:47:52 AM »
No idea why the sarissae come with coupling sleeves, as only one was only ever found and no one's certain of its purpose.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »
No idea why the sarissae come with coupling sleeves, as only one was only ever found and no one's certain of its purpose.

Yeah, pretty much discounted these days. Those who care will replace the pikes with wire; those who don't will just ignore it.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 03:36:39 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a theory that Alexander's Hypaspists were either Phalangites or light hoplites? If the latter, I am so hopeful Victrix would do them....

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 07:41:56 AM »

Yeah, pretty much discounted these days. Those who care will replace the pikes with wire; those who don't will just ignore it.

Really? The information that the Sarissa were 18' and split into 2 connected by a bronze connecting tube is all over the place in one form or another ... or am I just getting confused (Not really my time period).
"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline Bishop Cockthrottle

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 12:08:18 PM »
I have 832 phalangites, but they are 6 mill...