Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:02:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Burrows and Badgers, and tired of Frostgrave  (Read 5204 times)

Offline HothJim

• Bookworm
  • Back in the game
Burrows and Badgers, and tired of Frostgrave
« on: June 23, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »
So, Frostgrave has tugged at the heartstrings but the d20 dynamic has turned me off, and I quickly became bored, which is a shame since the fluff and miniatures have been pretty good.

I'm now looking at Burrows and Badgers from Oathsworn Miniatures. Think Mordheim, Necromunda and Redwall, say they.

Has anyone played it? Thoughts?

Cheers,
Jim.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Burrows and Badgers, and tired of Frostgrave
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:40:48 PM »
I'd be curious to hear.  I also fell off of Frostgrave after my first game actually (I think it was really over-hyped).  Badgers and Burrows is pretty cool looking.  So, I'll hang out to see what people say.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:46:19 PM »
I'm in the same bored-by-Frostgrave vibe. Just doesn't excite me at all. Waiting for my 7th Voyage to arrive. Enjoyed Otherworld Skirmish, just not quite right, so I hope this does the trick!

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 11:35:46 PM »
I think a lot of games have suffered from being given inaccurate labels.

I know a growing number of people who have said they expected Frostgrave to be more like Mordheim for example - not all have found the game unfavorable though, more as an initial observation. I too can be counted in that camp, I posted quite a critical review to some degree on here after the first couple of games. However after I got that out of my system and approached the game with a completely fresh mindset I have found it quite enjoyable.

I know that some folk find the d20 swing too much to handle, and to be honest I sort of blame GW to an extent for that. Personally I like things to be a little unpredictable so don't mind that at all.

Back on topic, might be worth asking Oathsworn. They are great folk behind the range and I'm sure they wouldn't mind giving you a quick overview, worth an ask anyway!

RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 08:48:03 AM »
.... might be worth asking Oathsworn.
You rang, sir?  :D

I'm now looking at Burrows and Badgers from Oathsworn Miniatures. Think Mordheim, Necromunda and Redwall, say they.

Has anyone played it? Thoughts?

Well, I like it...  ;) But bear in mind, it's my first attempt at rules writing, and I'm sure there's lots of stuff I missed...
Probably the best thing to do is have a look at the rules - they are available as a FREE pdf download here: B&B website.

cheers,
Michael

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 03:41:28 PM »
Does B&B require anthropomorphic animals (I do have a large number) or can it be played with human/Dwarf/Gnome/Goblin/Elf figures only?

Edit Firewall issues with download of free rules here, will try this evening at another location.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 05:12:16 PM »
Does B&B require anthropomorphic animals (I do have a large number) or can it be played with human/Dwarf/Gnome/Goblin/Elf figures only?

Edit Firewall issues with download of free rules here, will try this evening at another location.

It's written to work with our B&B minis (for obvious reasons!  :D) so there's no stats for humans/dwarfs/etc. But it should be easy enough to mod, if you wanted to.

Offline HothJim

• Bookworm
  • Back in the game
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 06:41:02 PM »
You rang, sir?  :D

Well, I like it...  ;) But bear in mind, it's my first attempt at rules writing, and I'm sure there's lots of stuff I missed...
Probably the best thing to do is have a look at the rules - they are available as a FREE pdf download here: B&B website.

cheers,
Michael

Many thanks Michael. I look forward to reading the rules.
Jim.

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 10:02:15 PM »
I like the d20 nod to old school d&d but don't find myself rabid over frostgrave. I just ordered a copy of B&B and like the vibe. I'd be looking to use humans and traditional monsters. Though the creatures are lovely models.

So I'm wondering.....were the stats for the creatures an attempt to reflect a sort of class per creature or reflect perceived abilities, size and characteristics?

With the same number of wounds per figure, it's the block stat and the various traits that make the difference....a badger is going to receive less wounds than a mouse - and will thus take more hitting as it were.

Early days yet in my thoughts. I'm wondering about fixing dice types - henchmen are d6 for everything, with more flex for "characters"

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 10:28:10 AM »
The animal stats were based on size, and just a feel for the way the different races work in books like the Redwall series etc. Although I tend to keep Block and Nimbleness stats lower than Strike and Ranged, otherwise you can get a lot of 'no damage' results. So if your henchmen are going to be d6 as a baseline, I'd have Block and Nimbleness as d4. Maybe Awareness, too, just to give Ambushes a chance! Or go with d8s as the baseline, and d6s for the lower stats.

I've got to do a pdf for creating your own stats at some point, just writing up the system I used for points. But yeah, it's the Skills that really affect survivability. Technically a mouse has the same number of wounds as a badger, but that Tough (3) is really hard to get through, especially if you add very heavy armour and a shield...

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 03:37:02 PM »
Lovely minis, never seen this range before, really full of character. :)