Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:37:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ships and Stations for FreeJumper  (Read 2409 times)

Offline sespe

• Librarian
Ships and Stations for FreeJumper
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:12:18 PM »
Building some ships and stations for FreeJumper.  The only rule was they had to be completely constructed from bits on hand - not one penny could be spent in the build. 

And of course I soon realized that the macro camera has an embarrassingly high eye for detail, unlike my own.

Lots here:  http://wanderingview.blogspot.com/2016/06/freejumper-ships-and-stations.html

Space Station "Maytag":

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Ships and Stations for FreeJumper
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 11:39:33 AM »
I'm on a scratch building roll myself so these are nice to see. You've used a relatively low number of parts to do something rather cool. Don't worry, we all know that the camera adds a whole bunch of flaws you don't see at tabletop level.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline BlackWidowPilot

• Scientist
  • "Mwahahahahaahaaaaaa!!!"
    • "It's Them! Blast 'Em!"
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 07:13:07 AM »
Good stuff! And remember, empty deodorant containers are our FRIENDS:

Leland R. Erickson
Metal Express
www.silent-death.mx

\\\\\\\"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!\\\\\\\" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:11:48 AM »
Wow - they are really good!  :)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 10:16:26 AM »
Those look really good :D

What size are the FreeJumper models?

Anything I make always looks like the underlying item. I stumbled across a 6mm tower thing I made about 10 years ago and instantly thought "oh, there's that thing I made from the shampoo bottle top"

Maybe I just need to get more in touch with my inner greebler and add more bits o_o

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 04:38:31 PM »
Sespe: I really like what you've done, definite imagination on display. Apologies unwanted.

Leland, still handsome builds, but a bit large for anything but terrain (be the fly: buzz around and shoot up) for most games I play.

zemjw: I feel your pain, though I'm more of the 'start throwing together, but too lazy to take to next step.'

I AM beginning to find that along with adding to the outside, taking from the center can be surprisingly useful.

With my beloved plastic cutlery and disposable razor handles, chopping the middle section or sections can give a shorter, but less identifiable piece. Even a plastic tube, O, cut long ways, then ground down, gives an interesting flattened curve, ().

Lastly, I'm crap with painting, but even I can make panel lines break up a mundane shape somewhat. Micron pens are my friend, even if I have to go over several times.

Doug

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »
Great work all around. What are your impressions of Freejumper?  I'd never heard of it before, but it kind of seems like the next step up from the Starcrashers games I've been playing with my 5 year old.

Heed Doug's advice regarding inside parts.  No matter what kind of junk/toy-bashing you do, there's great stuff to be found inside.

For those wanting more inspiration, the Iron Archives has a huge mess of toy/junk/scratch-built ships built for Starcrashers
http://www.ironhands.com/starcrashmodels.htm
and for nearly all of them he provides pictures before paint and parts lists.
http://www.ironhands.com/starcrashmodelh2.htm
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:57:36 PM by eilif »

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 07:25:12 PM »
Wow, more great ideas!  I need to add decals, that's for sure.  My ships started as a small flashlight, an old USB-to-serial adapter, and some sort of candy container.  The small station (which could double as a "big baddie" ship), was a water diverter from a dishwasher.

FreeJumper suggests ships should be about 3" long, but the actual size isn't set in stone.  All measurements are done from the central pylon holding the ship.  The rules stress that the actual ship is a tiny dot marked by the pylon, the model is just to look good.  The first couple games we played we used smaller, about 1" models from Firefly and Star Wars.

I really like the rules, and I think they are a logical step up from StarCrashers.  The 8-yr old can't quite grasp the ship-building part yet, but can play with a pre-built.  And the 13-year old is always good for some off-the-wall ideas!