Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:54:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690622
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave w/Races  (Read 5958 times)

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
Frostgrave w/Races
« on: June 26, 2016, 07:47:39 PM »
Forgive me if this has been mentioned before in another topic. But I was wondering, does the world of Frostgrave have other races such as elves, halflings, and dwarves? If it does, how would people feel about a race supplement? I am just kinda brainstorming here and this might just be for house rules, but what about something like this:

Each race would have a special racial ability with a +1 boost to a stat. For example:
Elves get a +1 Shoot.
Dwarves get a +1 armour.
Halflings get a +1 Will.
Humans get a +1 Fight.

These bonuses would not just apply to the wizard, but his warband as well. I am thinking though to get the bonus, the whole warband needs to be from the same race. Animals excluded of course. You could also expand it to maybe a specialized soldier for each race. Limit it to one per warband. Maybe they could have one spell or trick of the trade that is unique to the race.

These are just some thoughts, but I think it would be kinda neat. It would allow warbands to be a little more customized in abilities to go with the appearance customization that the game allows. Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms?

Offline Cool Dad

• Bookworm
Re: Frostgrave w/Races
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 08:11:36 PM »
Nice, however do not limit this to the "good" races. I have seen a few other races used as Warbands, notably the good old Rat-men (Skaven) and Orcs seem to be popular

+1 Move for Rat men
+1 Armour for Orcs

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 08:31:05 PM »
We tried to make our own 'Race Rules" but found it far to unbalancing.

+1 Fight gives you a bonus to Fighting, Dodging and stopping damage, whereas +1 Will is practically useless as it's rarely used (I've never seen a Will test in all the games I've played or watched.

+1 Move likewise means you can get to Treasures, Charge, or run away easily whereas +1 shoot only benefits 2 or 3 members of your Warband.

We trailed and play tested a load of different rules, and combinations, but in the end we decided that it was best to keep the Soldiers stats as they are, and just use different miniatures.

Also (to me) the beauty of Frostgrave is that everyone has the same chance of success, or failure because the stats are all the same. I've lost interest in several gaming systems because my opponent has rocked up with a 'buffed' force that wiped the floor with me.

I'd be interested to see someone e;se' take on this though to see if we missed something.
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »
What I find good about Frostgrave is its simplicity, where a warband can be represented by whatever figures you like, whether it's humans, elves, dwarves, orcs or ninja turtles. Where a thug is a thug no matter their race.

Warbands can look cool whether they are traditional d n d style with an elf ranger, dwarf infantryman, halfling thief, etc. or equally as cool by going against the norm with a halfling Templar, elf knight and dwarf archer.

Some good ideas in this thread, and if they'll work for your games go for it, I just think I'll stick with things as they stand for my game.

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 09:29:21 PM »
The generic properties of Frostgrave is what makes it so nice. It allows the opportunity to theme warbands without breaking the game. I have a goblin warband with an orc apprentice, while the rest of the orcs show up as the soldiers of my stone giant wizard and apprentice. The gnolls (soon to be replaced by cooler plastics) are ALL gnolls, as are my kids' elves.
Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 09:56:38 PM »
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 10:58:46 PM »
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=83623.0

I'm firmly in the "no races" camp.
Likewise. Only in terms of stats though, happy to play against whatever models people want to use. Just spent today playing against elves, dwarves, halflings and lizardmen (among others).

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 11:39:42 PM »
Yeah, gotta agree, no race bonuses. I run themed warbands, like Drow and illithids too, but it just seems like you'd be tampering with what is a very balanced game.
Follow more witterings on Twitter: @CthulhuPunk

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 01:00:55 AM »
Okay after reading this topic and the previous one linked, the races impacting stats is definitely something that the community majority seems to be against. So what about a sort of leveling system for the soldiers. It wouldn't involve tracking experience, but maybe giving them an extra item if say they play and survive without injury through three or four consecutive games? Don't get me wrong, I love Frostgrave. It just seems like after you get four or five games under your belt, everyone's warband will be composed of all the "upgraded" versions of the soldiers. For example, no more thieves because you can afford to take Rangers or Treasure Hunters. No more thugs because you can afford to run Barbarian, Knights, or Templars. Is this how it is?

Offline WallShadow

• Bookworm
  • ...leaving a lasting impression
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 01:42:33 AM »
We tried to make our own 'Race Rules" but found it far to unbalancing. <SNIP>

We trailed and play tested a load of different rules, and combinations, but in the end we decided that it was best to keep the Soldiers stats as they are, and just use different miniatures.

Also (to me) the beauty of Frostgrave is that everyone has the same chance of success, or failure because the stats are all the same. I've lost interest in several gaming systems because my opponent has rocked up with a 'buffed' force that wiped the floor with me.<SNIP>
I'll play with anyone with any of the races, but all the fighters and Sorcerors have the same basic parameters and _no_ racial advantages.  Otherwise, that way lies Munchkinism, a heinous schism that should be eradicated, or at least contained. :-[
Ok, tell me just one more time: _Where_ am i going, and _Why_  am I in this handbasket?

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 07:51:20 AM »
So what about a sort of leveling system for the soldiers. It wouldn't involve tracking experience, but maybe giving them an extra item if say they play and survive without injury through three or four consecutive games? Don't get me wrong, I love Frostgrave. It just seems like after you get four or five games under your belt, everyone's warband will be composed of all the "upgraded" versions of the soldiers. For example, no more thieves because you can afford to take Rangers or Treasure Hunters. No more thugs because you can afford to run Barbarian, Knights, or Templars. Is this how it is?

Been discussed before, and I'm against that as well.  I like that the soldiers (bar the Captain now) are all nameless drones. I play other games (Mordheim, Necromunda) if I want a game with "grunt" experience.

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 09:07:44 AM »
A terrible idea!  Its only going to make for unbalanced gameplay.
The beauty of frostgrave is that you can use your own miniatures for the game, ratmen, orcs, skeletons whatever you have. You do not need special rules for races. If you really want to simulate other races make sure to only use troop types that suits the race. No knights for ratmen but lots of thieves for example.

Remember what happened to Mordheim with all those insanely overpowered warbands coming out after the original book. Remember the shadow elves? With the "everyone frenzies banner"? Remember the orcs? With trolls that COULD NOT DIE, and had up to twenty toughness four guys in the band? Not even the main book was immune to race cheeze. Remember the skaven with twenty guys with slings and endless amount giant rats? Not to mention ogre and warlock built straight into the team? Oh and they start with one hero more than the humans as well, you know just in case you had a bad game you will still earn more wyrdstone. Not that I am bitter or anything..  ;D

Offline markdienekes

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 01:47:58 PM »
Okay after reading this topic and the previous one linked, the races impacting stats is definitely something that the community majority seems to be against. So what about a sort of leveling system for the soldiers. It wouldn't involve tracking experience, but maybe giving them an extra item if say they play and survive without injury through three or four consecutive games? Don't get me wrong, I love Frostgrave. It just seems like after you get four or five games under your belt, everyone's warband will be composed of all the "upgraded" versions of the soldiers. For example, no more thieves because you can afford to take Rangers or Treasure Hunters. No more thugs because you can afford to run Barbarian, Knights, or Templars. Is this how it is?

I tend to run with fairly cheap soldiers, not upgraded to top tier. They still do a good job mostly.

On the race stats, I'm very much in the no camp.

Offline markdienekes

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »
Been discussed before, and I'm against that as well.  I like that the soldiers (bar the Captain now) are all nameless drones. I play other games (Mordheim, Necromunda) if I want a game with "grunt" experience.

I name all my soldiers, though they don't gain xp they gain a lot of good stories. Gunnar, my man at arms carrying treasure, and surrounded by an enemy bear and infantryman and two medium constructs, took them all out and walked off the table with his treasure.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 02:38:32 PM »
Remember the skaven with twenty guys with slings and endless amount giant rats?

Nope, as Skaven could only have 20 members in the warband, including giant rats.