Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Another Rules Question: Animal Handler  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
Another Rules Question: Animal Handler
« on: June 27, 2016, 04:08:54 AM »
If a figure has both "Command" and "Animal" handler, how many equipped dogs can they activate in a single turn?

Command: may nominate up to 2 additional figures <=10”, friendly models within 5” my use that models Resolve;                           

Animal Handler: When Nominated, the model may in turn Nominate one Animal equipped to it within 5”. If the model with the Animal Handler Skill is removed from play her Animals are removed also (as Minor Injuries).   

I am thinking, just one.  But, to be honest, that sucks.               
Scott Clinton
(aka The Grumbling Grognard)

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
Re: Another Rules Question: Animal Handler
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 04:16:02 PM »
i see this as the Command ability is for non-animal characters/minions.  Animal handler allows you to nominate 1 dog (which is equipped to the character). The skill of Pack Master allows you to nominate up to 3 equipped dogs (as the rule states, the character is the 'Alpha' of the pack).

So your character with only Animal Handler with Command can nominate 2 other models but only 1 dog each turn, even though equipped with more.

:)

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:13:30 PM »
Yep, that is what I am thinking as well.  So, My newest character, Lady Smythe-Patterson with her pair of afgan hounds wont work.

Like I said above, I think that is how it supposed to work as well....and that sucks because even in the first scenario she can move 2 agents or civies every turn and they can use her RES as well, and Command is basically 'free' for her.  But, she choose to be an animal handler, equip light and run solo with a pair of her Afgan Hounds and she can only activate one per turn the command skill is not even used.

I think I will let her activate 2 dogs if no humans are commanded.  I see no 'balance' issues, and I cannot really rationalize saying otherwise...or maybe let her trade it in for the pack master...

Scott

PS I am an easy-going sort...this is what I let them do:  Lady Smythe-Patterson

[edit] how about a pic of the Lady! 

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:18:51 PM by Grumbling Grognard »

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 12:37:47 PM »
That's what I would do as well. After all, it's your game to play and have fun. Command can be added later (and I would mandate myself to have to pick it as the first upgrade).

;)

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:22:08 PM »
That's what I would do as well. After all, it's your game to play and have fun. Command can be added later (and I would mandate myself to have to pick it as the first upgrade).

;)

Our group is pretty laid-back.  This will fly just fine with us.  I don't even think I will press for them to take "Command" at all if they do not wish to do so.  If she wants to role-play the character as a wantabe socialite lacking social graces and the income to make up for it...but one who has a way with the hounds and can sniff out a mystery better than Scooby-doo on the trail of his imfamous snacks I am down with that idea.

If they want to add another human later, they will need that skill, other wise it is just the lady and her "pack" of hounds seeking the end of the thread they have found that may just...perhaps...lead past "missing links" (on the painting table as we speak) to (guess where?!...yes...)... Afganistan.  Hell, I never actually looked it up...those damned dogs do orginally come from there....right?!?  lol!

Scott

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 06:50:41 PM »
The way I read it is that when the Animal handler is nominated, the skill allows them to active an animal which they have as a attached item/equipment. So, I would read that as an 'addition' to the command skill, so it the nominated character had command and animal handler, that's 3 activations (two Henchmen/Civilian/other and the equipped animal). This also fits with the fact that if the character is taken out, the animal goes too.