Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:20:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Yanks have arrived  (Read 6479 times)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Re: The Yanks have arrived
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 04:53:24 PM »
So where is that armored car from?  I'd love to have some of those for my agents of L.A.S.T. in Volley, Steel, and Flesh.

Jerry
Like I said above, the Smith-Johannson Armor Steam Conveyance is part Scheltrum vehicle (top half) and part Atlantis Toy (bottom half) with alot of extra bits.

-J

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 07:07:01 PM »
Very nice indeed sir.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 07:08:27 PM »
What is my best shot for trying to get US Navy from that era? I find plenty of infantry, but being as I am totally new to this style of models, I am a bit lost.

Try Old Glory Spanish American War or Mexican American War sets

Also look at the US Navy figures from Pulp.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 08:10:53 PM »
What is my best shot for trying to get US Navy from that era? I find plenty of infantry, but being as I am totally new to this style of models, I am a bit lost.

Would those look appropriate for late 1800's? If so, I am all over that. I *adore* Master Murch's sculpts. My Evil Empire Imperial Guard is made up of his Germans.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 10:14:38 PM »

Would those look appropriate for late 1800's? If so, I am all over that. I *adore* Master Murch's sculpts. My Evil Empire Imperial Guard is made up of his Germans.

The Pulp sailors are a little older in style, since they are based on 1917 regulations.
If you don't mind the historic accuracy you may use them (avoid those chaps in tin hats and mg) but for VSF I would prefer other sources like:
.- old glory as above mentioned
.- redoubt enterprises ACW sailors landing party and deck hands [I tried to see them in a convention, but redoubt had none, but I feel they look very "victorian"].
.- in case you need deck hands only option to date: Old Glory naval artillery crew of the Boxer rebellion sets. But you have to improvise with the headgear.

Also, note, that I have not the old glory sailors from SAW etc not the redoubts one, so I cannot tell you about compatibility. I fear they are not compatible.
argsilverson

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 08:30:34 AM »

The Pulp sailors are a little older in style, since they are based on 1917 regulations.
If you don't mind the historic accuracy you may use them (avoid those chaps in tin hats and mg) but for VSF I would prefer other sources like:
.- old glory as above mentioned
.- redoubt enterprises ACW sailors landing party and deck hands [I tried to see them in a convention, but redoubt had none, but I feel they look very "victorian"].
.- in case you need deck hands only option to date: Old Glory naval artillery crew of the Boxer rebellion sets. But you have to improvise with the headgear.

Also, note, that I have not the old glory sailors from SAW etc not the redoubts one, so I cannot tell you about compatibility. I fear they are not compatible.

I have the Redoubt ACW Navy landing party. They are lovely figures, but are armed with Colt Navy revolvers so look very 1860's. However I use them as generic naval crew and they normally crew my Nautilus.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »
Does anyone have better photos of the redoubt models? The website photos are somewhat less than thrilling - the shadowing of the photo leaves me in doubt as to whether I would even want to paint them. :?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 04:24:48 PM »
Does anyone have better photos of the redoubt models? The website photos are somewhat less than thrilling - the shadowing of the photo leaves me in doubt as to whether I would even want to paint them. :?

Here are some of the ACW sailors, whilst these are not the landing party set they are the same. Imagine advancing poses with cutlasses and revolvers and you should get the idea. They are very nice figures. chunky but compatible with most 28mm.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:39:45 PM by Malamute »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 05:18:32 PM »
Wow... I need those sailors Malamute!

Is that the "Boat Party" from Redoubt?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:27:37 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 08:25:24 AM »
You've done it now..I've officially started my American force off. I picked up some Renegade as part of their special offer. Rabbitz has been playing with the Renegade early war Germans as Prussian infantry for some time and I've grown to like them. I will also be picking up some Perries for conversions etc. I quite like the idea of the second American Civil War on Mars...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 08:49:02 AM »

They are not the landing party.
These actually came with a submarine from PMC games. They are made by Redoubt and are identical to their ACW armed landing party (without weapons). I do not know if Redoubt still produce them as I don't think they are not listed on their website and despite attempts to track them down via Redoubt I have so far been unsuccessful. :?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 09:45:31 AM »
Is there a good place to buy those sailors in the US?

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 01:18:42 PM »

Unfortunately their US distributor just discontinued selling them.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 07:26:47 PM »

Unfortunately their US distributor just discontinued selling them.

Gah! Unfair...oh well, I can't really afford to start a new genre right now anyway. (sob)
Unles, of course someone here might have some they are not using? To trade for something they might? Perhaps I will posts something in the bazaar.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 07:45:13 PM »

They are not the landing party.
These actually came with a submarine from PMC games. They are made by Redoubt and are identical to their ACW armed landing party (without weapons). I do not know if Redoubt still produce them as I don't think they are not listed on their website and despite attempts to track them down via Redoubt I have so far been unsuccessful. :?

I have received the following email from Redoubt concerning the sailor without weapons:

Sorry I have not replied to your e-mail before now but my wife has been in hospital and has just come home today so I am now playing catch-up. If you can give me a rough idea of which sailors you want I will sort them out for you. They will cost £1.05 each.

Thank you

Trevor Body

Redoubt Enterprises

:)

Think I'll be ordering some of those minis now...