Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:49:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm dieselpunk, Diorama p.22  (Read 75717 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
If you're having more than one then at least one of them needs the observation coupla extended  8)

Would it also be easier to have an integral base 'sculpted' on or are they not having bases at all?

cheers

James

I like the idea of the observation pod, but the big piston thing didn't really do it for me. I'm thinking maybe something like a observation balloon or kite instead. Which reminds me, I will probably be pulling inspiration from last exile as well. Actually I think they do something like that in laputa right, with a small flier on the top attached with a winch?

I was originally intending to do a integral base for ease of printing, but I think I'll split it into a few parts to get the best print direction. Separate track sections hull and turret, and probably a separate balloon or kite.

I'm thinking I'll go with Irregular minis in the end. I do like their close packed nature and they are sold in smaller quantities which is nice, since I don't need historically accurate numbers of troops. Just a few bases full of close packed ranks and fill soldiers. I'm also beginning to like their trains, and on rewatching howl I realized that features a armoured train (laputa does as well) so I'll probably end up ordering their steam train and armoured train sets, which hopefully should give me enough track for now. Maybe add in another passenger carriage, those always look strange to me in singles. I'm hoping they will let me switch out the oil tanker car with a passenger one in the steam set but well see.

Another thing I'm pondering, I feel like these guys:

With the right paint and setting could look a lot like this guy:

Which isn't miyazaki but does fit in there I think. Bit of the dopey look of the robots from Laputa to them. So I am considering using a few of those power armors as "knights" or something like that, add in a bit machinenkrieger feel maybe. I'm however not sure if that would diminish the miyazakines of it all, does it down play the regular infantry to have power armor there as well?

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:09:06 AM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
What a cool project, I'll be following this with interest.

Another good source for power armor/ small mecha are GzG's not-Votoms ( a bit bigger  +-14mm) I converted one for use with my 6mm vsf germans

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
You're right those might work! I was planning on ordering them for sci-fi stuff anyway so...

However I'm not entirely convinced I should have mechs on the human side. But if I have them they should be clunky affairs for sure. I was thinking doing something like the clockwork goblin mecha in 6mm, those votoms might be a good start. I think removing the head and adding a snub belly gun would increase the miyazakines of them for sure.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:58:21 PM by YPU »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
I like the idea of the observation pod, but the big piston thing didn't really do it for me. I'm thinking maybe something like a observation balloon or kite instead. Which reminds me, I will probably be pulling inspiration from last exile as well. Actually I think they do something like that in laputa right, with a small flier on the top attached with a winch?

Not sure if it will help, but the discussion reminded me of a recent read about such a system attempted on U-Boats. It was described as a 'motor-less autogyro'. It could be used if the boat was underway, of course, or even if there was a stiff breeze.

Apparently, though, the experience I read indicated reeling the observer and craft back took so long, any prey sighted was long gone.

Doug

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Thanks Doug, motorles autogyro sounds exactly the right kind of crazy to me! Definitely going to keep that in mind while designing. I must say though that right now the idea of a hatch opening and a small blimp like balloon unfolding from it in a comical way is something I can really "see" in my minds eye.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
A balloon from the Akuyaku sounds a great idea  8)

As does everything else you mention  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Currently running the movies on my computer so I can take screen captures for reference. God bless HD remasters every frame looks amazing.

Also been experimenting with making a river for this project. I'm kinda hooked on using the stuff roofing shingles are made of for 6mm area terrain. I use it for roads and farmlands already like you can see here:

So I tried using that for river and or coastal sections. Just a quick test piece, every inch has another way of blending or material or type of paint. Rather miffed with how it turned out though, pretty much all of it looks good to me!

And maybe the best part is that since all the materials used have some flex (yes even the banks) the whole thing can still bend a bit without cracking. So now I need to seriously consider what shape rivers and coast I want for this terrain set, since I want to paint it all in one go and have the water colour match.

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
Wow, that river piece looks awesome :-* :-* :-*

Any chance of a tutorial?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: 6mm miyazaki fantasy project. Some terain tests.
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 11:57:36 AM »
The water does look great though I might suggest to brighten all the colours a bit?

cheers

James

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 12:05:42 PM »
Thanks Both!

Any chance of a tutorial?

I'll see if I can convince my girlfriend to take pictures while I do the actual batch. Her phone takes a lot better pictures, plus she actually keeps stuff like lighting in mind.  lol

The water does look great though I might suggest to brighten all the colours a bit?

Definitely. I counted on the paint drying a bit brighter but I think the black base material cancelled that out. Since it was a test batch I wasn't bothered to do much about that. It's a bit brighter in person as well, but it could be a bit more so.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 12:19:16 PM »
"...pretty much all of it looks good to me! ""

Well 'good' translates to 'amazing', I accept that judgement.  ;)

Definitely. I counted on the paint drying a bit brighter but I think the black base material cancelled that out. Since it was a test batch I wasn't bothered to do much about that. It's a bit brighter in person as well, but it could be a bit more so.

Maybe, but I was just thinking 'angry sea... ooo...'  lol

Doug

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 12:33:45 PM »
"...pretty much all of it looks good to me! ""

Well 'good' translates to 'amazing', I accept that judgement.  ;)

Maybe, but I was just thinking 'angry sea... ooo...'  lol

Doug

Thanks Doug,

I think I'll keep this colour and the wave/foam for a board edge sea, and make the river a bit lighter in colour, maybe do a bit more fade for depth look, and less waves. I spend the bit of sun we had today at the riverside, and I've decided I want a bunch of riverboats for my board. And a harbour, at least a small one.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 01:57:41 PM »
And a large SD ironclad limping into harbour  :D

cheers

James

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »
Can't go wrong with Baccuss. Has both FPW and Nappies. I'm very into this project.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:27:52 PM by BaronVonJ »

Offline PatG

• Assistant
    • Irr Wb (f)
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 02:29:09 PM »
Very interested in the project. Love Miyazaki.