Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:06:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690445
  • Total Topics: 118331
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thaw of the Lich Lord questions  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Vomikron Noxis

• Student
Thaw of the Lich Lord questions
« on: June 27, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »
Hey all.

Just a bit of advice about TLL if you'd be so kind.

We're currently playing though the standard campaign, and planning to play TLL after we've finished. Are we better off starting our warbands anew, or continuing with what we have? Reading through the book, the scenarios and enemies seem pretty hardcore, but are we just going to breeze through them if we're already level 20 or so? I'm happy either way, just wondering what the consensus is really.

Cheers!

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
Re: Thaw of the Lich Lord questions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 07:01:42 PM »
I played some TLL scenarios using a starter level warband and found it tough. I'm also planning on running a full start to finish TLL campaign for my club - someone on this forum suggested putting all warbands through Hunt for the Golem scenarios first just to give a little level boost. I was gonna give this a go, but also interested in the views of others....
Follow more witterings on Twitter: @CthulhuPunk

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 07:14:04 PM »
We started the Thaw campaign after about half the normal scenarios I think, which has gone fine so far (now halfway through that one). The encountered enemies haven't been able to fight back too much, but it's not like a few cultists are a real danger to even a starting band. In the end, you're mostly fighting each other anyway. The final scenario could involve more backstabbing rather than cooperating against the Lich Lord, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Given the level of difficulty here and in normal scenarios (Genie, worm, a bunch of ghosts or 6 medium constructs are scary for a young warband too), I would actually simply say both an experienced band or a new one will work just fine. Would personally probably start anew, but that's mainly because after playing with several warbands there are still a good few spells I have yet to try out.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 12:38:40 AM »
We're about half way thru our TLL campaign and found it just about right for a starting war band. As mentioned previously Warbands tend to fight each other. When they are not you have 2 Warbands ganging up on the campaign monsters, which generally don't last long.

I'd recommend using new Warbands for TLL.
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 04:54:16 AM »
We're starting a campaign soon and one of the house rules we are going to try is to add one to all die rolls for Wandering creatures for every 5 levels of average warband in a game. Example: If the average level of all Warbands in the game being played is 10 then we will add 2 to the die roll to have a Creature show up when Treasure is picked up. When rolling for the type of creature 2 will be added to both D20 rolls made to determine the nature of the incoming creature. This should give us a bit more of a challenge in Creatures as levels of warbands get higher.