Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:09:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New edition of Saga?  (Read 3382 times)

Offline roberto

• Assistant
    • A frightful bestiary
New edition of Saga?
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:33:51 PM »
Hi, been trying to buy a copy of the Saga rules, but having no luck (tried GB, Northstar and Cavilier) I read somewhere that there is going to be a new "super edition" can't remember where I read it, tried doing some searches but no luck. Anyone heard anything about a new edition?

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: New edition of Saga?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:08:28 AM »

http://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/SAGA_Dark_Age_Skirmishes_Rulebook--product--2771.html

They just say a reprint is on the way, no obvious info about new version though. Or even when the reprint is coming

http://www.studio-tomahawk.com/gb_index.php

Maybe ask them when its due (the reprint)? There might be more info in their forum.

Seems they have been busy though with something a new  Saga:Invasions for the end of the year-ish.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 12:35:24 AM »
I chatted with Andy a couple of weeks ago via email and I dont recall him mentioning anything about a new edition.  As I understand Crescent and Cross is sort of their updated edition as the basic rules update and apply to dark ages.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Theoden King

• Student
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 02:33:41 AM »
The only thing I know about that could be anything like a update was that rule changes found in Crescent and Cross, the crusader rule book supersede any rules in the original SAGA book.  Part of why I bought it, but the primary reason was for the battle boards.  Don't care about building warbands for that time period, but I am looking to adapt battle boards to my LOTR mini armies and play them using the SAGA rules instead of the POS Games Workshop rules.
"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark." Tolkien

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 10:18:21 AM »
I believe they are looking at an Arthurian supplement later in the year? I think they might be having troubles with their printer, the Northern Fury book was supposed to be back in stock weeks ago.

Offline roberto

• Assistant
    • A frightful bestiary
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 05:25:22 PM »
Thanks chaps, I'll have to wait for the reprint then.

Offline HothJim

• Bookworm
  • Back in the game
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 06:25:15 PM »
Gripping Beast, per Twitter, have the Crescent and Cross rules in stock again.
There is indeed an Arthurian SAGA due out, anytime from November to early 2017 I believe. With Age of the wolf already out, it's a good time to be a SAGA player!

Perhaps of note, Swordpoint is due out this winter- large medieval battles from the makers of SAGA but a totally different mechanic. One to look out for.

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:37:27 PM »
Last time some of the supplements went out of stock and only got a reprint after Salute was because of the launch of Crescent and Cross. I'd wager something similar has happened with The Age of the Wolf/Swordpoint combo. I ordered my Raven's Shadow supplement a few weeks ago at Annie's and she told me right away there would be a delay because of low stock. We'll have to see, but I haven't heard anything about an updated rulebook.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 10:27:27 PM »
Crescent and Cross is worth getting even for Dark Ages as it really cleans up the rules, and brings together all the extra rules from the supplements in one place. And its a really nice book.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 11:35:12 PM »
Crescent and Cross is worth getting even for Dark Ages as it really cleans up the rules, and brings together all the extra rules from the supplements in one place. And its a really nice book.

Agreed.

Offline jim rae

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 11:05:36 AM »
Hmmm... I was under the impression that november will see precisely that - a new edition of 'Saga-on-Steroids'...

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 11:13:12 AM »
We've (Ainsty) have got stock of the rules - they're not on the website as we carry SAGA at shows (along with the GB & Footsore ranges)

Drop Andy an email and he can sort you out.

Offline HothJim

• Bookworm
  • Back in the game
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 02:19:43 PM »
Got a link to that? VERY interested in that (although, what I really want is a medieval - 100YW - version of Saga...)

There's not much out there right now, although this short article appeared earlier in the year: http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/pw/wss/blog/swordpoint/

It was being demoed at Salute, too. Russians vs Teutonic Knights I believe. There are probably a few bits on Facebook. As of May, it was due to be released in November.

Cheers,
Jim.

Offline roberto

• Assistant
    • A frightful bestiary
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 08:35:53 PM »
@Dags: Thanks mate, ordered a copy from you guys this evening.

@fred: I will probably get that in time, just wànted those Viking age battleboards.

Spearpoint must be what I was thinking of originally, cheers for your help chaps.

Offline Theoden King

• Student
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 09:36:14 PM »

That is good to hear, because that is what I wanted, plus the battle boards.  Swordpoint looks interesting, but I really wonder if it is good enough to trump Armies of Arcana for a decent large scale gaming system.  Haven't found anything remotely better (though this may be a topic for a different thread, not trying to divert this one or anything)