Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:22:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hard decision but I kept my word  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Hard decision but I kept my word
« on: June 22, 2016, 11:33:49 PM »
A moment of silence for those miniatures that did not find a new home and only received negative comments from those who attended the free giveaway event.   :'(

"Graphic" photos on my Facebook page may disturb some collectors so please be advised.   :o

Some original Jack Scruby medieval miniatures (regretfully possibly his first and/or worst sculpts,) some Essex Dwarfs, some Ithorian (Spelling) Scouts for Star Wars, some rebased HeroClix, re-based MechWarrior (?) miniatures in plastic and one metal, cards for Star Wars/Heroclix/Halo/Horrorclix/samples cards for games I never heard of or saw on the table, etc., were sent to the trash can.   :'(  :(

Fear not there are still 8 shoe boxes left for next time (July?) plus more cases of miniatures I could not fit on the card table. Hopefully the next set of miniatures, plus game mats and possibly board games will find new homes.   :-I  I hope.   :-I

A sad day but it was necessary after multiple attempts to sell and an attempt to give away the miniatures.   :-X
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:35:47 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Hard decision but I kept my word
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 12:17:47 AM »
No worries.  It happens.  I've occasionally dumped sprues or minis that are useless to me (and cannot seem to find a new home).  Some sculpts are crap, some are damaged etc.  Ditch the stuff that doesn't sell and move on. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 09:46:29 AM »
I dunno, sounds like it could be the plot of the next Poltergeist movie to me o_o

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 05:12:23 PM »
I have a few minis like that, including some on my sale thread right now. Some of them arrived, unasked-for, along with other minis from ebay wins because - I can only guess - that seller couldn't shift them either!

I've been interested in melting down and possibly recycling polystyrene packing peanuts with d-limonene, and I've a bunch of old sprue frames that I've been eyeing too. (There's a recycling plant nearby that processes polystyrene, but won't return my emails, probably 'cos they're only interested in quantities bigger than a couple of carrier bags) Now I'm wondering if I can throw some chaos marines in the jar, watch 'em melt like a wicked witch of the west, or that cartoon shoe in Who Framed Roger Rabbit...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:27:01 PM by Vermis »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 05:21:43 PM »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 11:35:40 PM »
Since I started collecting metal miniatures I have always put bad/broken figures,  busted horses, bits of metal sprues, results of conversions and even filings of white metal dust in a plastic tub. Now, years later this weighs about 10 pounds. It has been on my mind for a while to sculpt a few easy bits like weapons for conversions, backpacks etc and make my own moulds. That's why I never threw it away.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 09:38:56 PM »
"Graphic" photos on my Facebook page may disturb some collectors so please be advised.   :o

I see no horrible FB linking.

Grimm

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 09:45:55 PM »
Never be afraid of the mighty disposal. I've done. Less stuff weighs you down, and once it's gone, you will have some freedom of mind knowing that you don't have to think about that crap again.

Be free!  lol
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 09:50:03 PM »
You could donate it to a local school club or charity shop.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 10:12:47 PM »

Sometimes, but occasionally if sculpts are bad..models are old...etc. they become someone else' junk to throw away. 

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 03:09:40 AM »
(sends Scurv a box of rubbish)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 04:51:57 PM »
I see no horrible FB linking.

Grimm

Intentional.

I am not that hard to find on FB.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 04:52:55 PM »

Not that stuff!  Even I have some standards!

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 08:51:02 AM »
Intentional.

I am not that hard to find on FB.
Well since you aren't supposed to go on let alone join Facebook till after 2016 it would make it near impossible.  :-)

Grimm

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 09:15:40 AM »
If the miniatures are decent, as in could be used by someone - why not donate them to charity? Either via a charity shop or directly?

Directly you say?

So, for example, some people may know that on Frothers and Random Platypus I have a longish running thread about donating unwanted miniatures to the children's home that I work at. The reality is that with little money the kids can't always afford to invest in huge amounts of models or miniatures.

It started off providing a few models etc for the home but I have now shared model kits etc with other homes in our department. I still take donations and the kids I work with are still very grateful.

Now that's just an example, there are children's homes and foster homes on both sides of the pond and if you contact you local social services you may be able to find some near to you.

I'd almost suggest you never bin miniatures!  :)
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus