Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:41:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Genghis' Inq28 [Daughter Superior Virginia added 20 Apr 24]  (Read 85845 times)

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Eldar Ranger added 02 Apr 21]
« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2021, 07:12:44 AM »
That ranger is subtle but superb!

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Greater Possessed added 01 May 21]
« Reply #196 on: May 01, 2021, 07:31:50 PM »
Okay, I'm probably stretching the term Inq28 with these two little tinkers, but I'm not starting a whole new thread just for them.   ;)  They've taken a loooong time to paint, there's so much detail on them (all the fiddly little bits of trim of the regular Black Legionnaires, plus a ton of mutations); there may have been much swearing and dispirited mutterings early on as it seemed like I just wasn't making a dent in them, but I knew it would all come together in the end, and so it has.  I got them for the Blackstone Fortress quest in the 2019 Annual, and will try to use them in Kill Team at some point (possibly in a hybrid traitor Astartes/Denzims of the Abyss - or Whatever the Blackstone baddies are called - warband), but they're way too OP for my Inq28 setting (where just a single 'regular' Astartes is a force to be reckoned with).

Also included is a team photo of my Black Legion warband, which I somehow seem to have accidentally acquired as it grew out of my Blackstone Fortress baddies.

Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 50  Figures Painted: 10
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Greater Possessed added 01 May 21]
« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2021, 01:31:30 AM »
Very nice  :)

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Guardian Drones added 05 May 21]
« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2021, 07:53:29 PM »
Thanks.

After the Greater Possessed that seemed to take forever, I've knocked out a pair of Guardian Drones for the final Blackstone Fortress expansion in a mere few days.  Despite being big buggers (see unfortunate bedraggled captive for scale), their colour scheme is very simple and quick to paint.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2021, 04:19:26 AM »
I love your work on the carapace of the drones!

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #200 on: May 07, 2021, 05:41:08 PM »
I love your work on the carapace of the drones!

Thanks.  It's a fairly easy combination of drybrushing and a wash, I guess the trick was finding the right interplay of metallics and greens.  In case you want the specific combination it's a base of Warplock Bronze; drybrush Brass Scorpion/Kabalite Green, drybrush Brass Scorpion/Kabalite Green/Leadbelcher; wash with Biel-Tan Green and a final drybrush of Leadbelcher.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Eldar Rangers added 07 Jun 21]
« Reply #201 on: June 07, 2021, 06:43:46 PM »
A slightly slower turnaround time on this next batch of figures than I'd hoped for - real life's really been getting in the way of my hobbying of late.  ;)  Here's the remainder of the Rangers to accompany Simuna Häyhä (first posted a few months ago) 

Amallyn’s Shadowguides

L-R: Amallyn Shadowguide, Viljam Pylkäs, Lauri Törni, Elina Siirala & Simuna Häyhä.

A Ranger unit of Outcasts from Ulthwé Craftworld, the Shadowguides often find themselves operating without external support.  As such, they eschew the exclusively long rifle armament typically associated with Rangers and have adopted a more balanced loadout across the squad.  A brace of the traditional long rifles are supplemented with the close range firepower of Avenger pattern shuriken catapults and Lauri’s pistol and sword for when things get really up close and personal. 

For many years they have been operating discretely in the backwaters of Imperial space, in an area where a measure of pragmatism has led to (the right kind of) xenos being (relatively) tolerated.  Whilst they maintain the traditional Eldar disdain of the Mon-keigh as a species, they have made something approaching friendly contacts, and established a level of mutual respect, with a number of humans in the sector.  Principal amongst these are the Rogue Trader Lady Simone Grey, their close relationship in no small part being down to Lady Simone having another Ulthwé Outcast, Linnéa Vikström, in her retinue.

The figures are the @artel_w Outcasts Reconnoitre Team, which I initially got solely for a less gigantic and flamboyant Amallyn Shadowguide for use in Blackstone Fortress.  However, after a flash of inspiration, I realised that a bit of converting would give me a useable warband for my Inq 28 setting.  (Five snipers would be really dull, not to mention substantially suboptimal in a cramped urban/interior setting.)  After a bit of rooting around in my bits box, I ended up giving a pair of them the newer plastic Guardian arms and shuricats, and a third got the old-school arms and weapons to give a sword and pistol.  In order to tie the converted figures in to the original pair, and mask the uneven shoulder joins, I carefully* cut away the shoulder pads from the unused sniper rifle arms and put them over the new plastic arms.  Another change required was to swap out the rocks two of them are leaning on for something a little more fitting for my predominantly urban setting.  A further rummage through the bits box yielded an ammo box and flamer/pressurised flamer tanks that were just the right height.

* Well, 2/3 were carefully cut away, I messed up on Lauri’s arms and cut the shoulder pads too badly to really use them.  A spare pair of Anvil shoulder pads, whilst not ideal, were the least bad option under the circumstances.  All painted up, they don’t look too bad.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 07:13:13 PM by Genghis »

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Chaos Cultists added 04 Sep 21]
« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2021, 05:53:05 PM »
Crikey!  It's been almost three months since I finished painting any figures - a combination real life really getting in the way, and spending about a month getting a whole load of figures built.  On the plus side, I should be able to bang out a fair few of these reasonably simple figures in pretty quick time now (these only took a week and a half).

In anticipation of running a Helot Chaos Cult in Necromunda, I needed a few more weapons options to add to my hitherto stock Cultists.  A mix on Anvil Industry bits, some head swaps and an autogun given a new muzzle and magazine to make it a lasgun.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 06:12:22 PM by Genghis »

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2021, 02:25:45 PM »
Good work blending all the components together, I really like the 3rd guy with the gasmask.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #204 on: September 05, 2021, 03:16:11 PM »
fantastic work, just been over the whole log and its wonderful. I love the colour palette of everything, I'm really preferring this style for inquismunda stuff over the more commonly seen style.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2021, 10:18:55 AM »
Lovely work on those cultists!

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2021, 08:24:32 PM »
Thank-you.

fantastic work, just been over the whole log and its wonderful. I love the colour palette of everything, I'm really preferring this style for inquismunda stuff over the more commonly seen style.
Funnily enough, for a few years I longed to be able to paint in the Blanchitsu style, but just couldn't get it to work.  I'm now quite happy with my natural style, which is more a case of just being how I've ended up painting than a conscious choice.  (Besides, if I suddenly got the hang of Blanchitsu now it wouldn't match everything I already have.)

Meanwhile, I've been super-mega-turbo productive and painted another four cultists; these are all the old GW ones, with head and/or weapon swaps.  One of the shotgunners has got Anvil arms, and the flames are from Trolls Under the Bridge.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2021, 02:47:55 AM »
Nice conversions. That shotgun really looks the business!

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2021, 03:54:25 PM »
Thank-you.
Funnily enough, for a few years I longed to be able to paint in the Blanchitsu style, but just couldn't get it to work.  I'm now quite happy with my natural style, which is more a case of just being how I've ended up painting than a conscious choice.  (Besides, if I suddenly got the hang of Blanchitsu now it wouldn't match everything I already have.)

Meanwhile, I've been super-mega-turbo productive and painted another four cultists; these are all the old GW ones, with head and/or weapon swaps.  One of the shotgunners has got Anvil arms, and the flames are from Trolls Under the Bridge.

I was exactly the same! Tried for years to get something close to the blanchitsu style that I was comfortable with, without it looking like I'd just done a rubbish job. Eventually got sick of not being happy with the style and having too much backlog so just went back to painting to a more comfortable style and now quite like that Necromunda/Inquisitor actually suits the more upbeat style!

These new cultist are great! I've got some T'zeentch cultists to do for my other half, I do the like the blue/deep purple style of these!

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genghis' Inq28 [Heretek added 15 Sep 21]
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2021, 08:24:16 PM »
The cultist's colour scheme came about as an excuse to let rip with a bold colour scheme that wasn't going to suit most of my 'sensible' factions.  I wanted a bit a of flexibility between Slaanesh and Tzeentch, so plumped for colours that would sort of work either way.

My latest figure is Nyx, the second member of my loose 'scum and villainy' faction of guns for hire and general ne’er-do-wells (the first being Bathsheba – see page 7).  She’s been escalated up my painting queue since I became aware of Hereteks being a thing in Necromunda and realising that one could be a nice supporting figure for my chaos cult in the forthcoming campaign at my local club.  She’s a Heresy Lab figure I’ve had kicking around for a while that fit the bill for a Heretek perfectly.  (In hindsight, I’ve probably made her top far too close to her skin tone, but I can live with that.)